RC poster

Upgrading Steering servo...what to buy?

New XMaxx owner here. I've only run the truck about 4 times. Its a blast to drive. I think I might have damaged the steering servo but will know for sure the next time I have a day off to play with it!

I would like to get another steering servo on hand and want something better than the stock servo. I'm just getting into this hobby and don't know muuch about speed ratings and power out of the original servo. I'm willing to drop some money on a decent one thats better than the stock servo. What are you all upgrading to?

The only mods/upgrade that I've done to the truck is the RPM rear hubs and bearings. I had one of the original bearing seals fall off on the third run. Are there any other must have upgrades?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    Hi mate, congrats for your monster. To upgrading the servo you have many options, the best is PROMODELER, an outstanding quality product, Traxxas 2085X is a good choice too, better than the stock one, Savox have very good quality options too, if you choose a 1/10 size servo, you need to buy the Traxxas adapter 7749 to fit it. In my particular case, I install a JX 46kg with the adapter, nice performance and good price.

Perhaps the promolder 630 is the best servo. It's currently backordered a month or two. Due to part supply issues, small company. That makes high end servos for undisclosed government contracts. And offers us RC folks some great servos for decent prices.

Do need the adapter. To run this or any other standard 1/10th scale servo. Would also want to get the metal servo saver spring.

Could use any other 1/10th scale servo at or over 448 oz/in

2085x (comes with spring) is 448 oz at 6v it is decent and what I have in mine as didn't quite know about promodeler at time.

Depending on what your doing stiffer springs if doing big air. Perhaps shock socks ,.

The rear hub carriers and threaded pins are the big must have one.

As you break a arms go with trx hd arms or Rpm arms.

Perhaps a aluminum servo horn if getting a stronger servo.

I have the above items. But also Rpm shock guards and hr aluminum diff covers. ( I do lots of jumps and big air so I wanted to stiffen up my diffs after breaking a bulkhead and plastic diff cover. )

I run 500kwt diff oil. And have wrapped my stock tires in kevlar 500lb string. To stop ballooning.

Perhaps a dusty motor body cover.

Oh ya fiber tape and shoe goo body, and do body restricter mod to keep body from breaking so soon at the tailgate / rear shock towers area.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    30 day Warranty offered by Traxxas on replacement plastic Servo gears
    2087X metal gear set for the stock servo- what is used here on 3 Xmaxx for years
    fabricator

RC Racer
    I'm also waiting for the Promodeler 630. Hope the stock servo holds out until then.

RC Competitor
    Check out REEFs servos they are awesome....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcor View Post
    Check out REEFs servos they are awesome....
    Good brand too.

RC poster
    But which REEFS servo? I don't know anything about tourq and speed ratings.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Linchpind View Post
    But which REEFS servo? I don't know anything about tourq and speed ratings.
    There are the collection from this brand, I think the 422HDv2 is the better choice in this case.

RC Qualifier
    After a couple of years of light bashing I finally smacked a curb, broke the from steering knuckle, and skipped a couple of teeth in the steering.

I bought the metal gear set for the stock servo, bought a metal servo horn, and installed an adjustable link right off the servo arm.

For my driving, I should be good.

RC Racer
    After a month of using it, the ProModeler 930 is awesome in my 8S XMaxx. It also benefited from adding in the Hot Racing servo-saver.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    After a month of using it, the ProModeler 930 is awesome in my 8S XMaxx. It also benefited from adding in the Hot Racing servo-saver.
    Are you using a separate lipo like they recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Are you using a separate lipo like they recommend?

Not yet. On the 6V coming from the ESC it's still a beastly servo torque-wise and slightly faster than stock. I'll give it 8V to eat at some point but running it like this for now. The stock servo-saver spring is woefully inadequate. Rather than wait for the stronger spring to come back in stock or mess with pulling out the threads from tightening the spring enough, I just opted to use the HR aluminum bell-crank assembly. I intend to keep using the stock plastic tie rods until they break but need to replace the servo horn to crank linkage with an adjustable one. (still has the stock plastic one)

RC poster
    Ok, I broke down and bought the Promodeler 630 with the aluminum servo arm. I'm going to get the TRA7749 traxxas adapter on order this evening.

Is there anything else I need or could use? From the discussion here it looks like I need to change out the servo saver spring? Could someone recommend one to me? Also, is there a stronger adjustment arm to mount between the new aluminum servo arm and the servo saver crank?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not yet. On the 6V coming from the ESC it's still a beastly servo torque-wise and slightly faster than stock. I'll give it 8V to eat at some point but running it like this for now. The stock servo-saver spring is woefully inadequate. Rather than wait for the stronger spring to come back in stock or mess with pulling out the threads from tightening the spring enough, I just opted to use the HR aluminum bell-crank assembly. I intend to keep using the stock plastic tie rods until they break but need to replace the servo horn to crank linkage with an adjustable one. (still has the stock plastic one)
    I run the GDS aluminum rack setup with an aluminum tie bar. Also aluminum Traxxas Toe links. Iíve broken an easily replaceable toe link end and stripped a Horn. Iím running the Savox 2290SG in 7.4vdc as my Futaba doesnít mind it. So I get super fast, strong steering, but still have Cheapish weak points.

RC Racer
    Ok, I broke down and bought the Promodeler 630 with the aluminum servo arm. I'm going to get the TRA7749 traxxas adapter on order this evening.

Is there anything else I need or could use? From the discussion here it looks like I need to change out the servo saver spring? Could someone recommend one to me? Also, is there a stronger adjustment arm to mount between the new aluminum servo arm and the servo saver crank?
    Tightening the stock spring works but the problem is the threads pull out of the plastic if you tighten it too much. A higher rate spring means you don't need quite as much clamping force as the spring won't compress enough to slip the saver out of the V-groove.

The solution a lot of other people on here have used with the stock servo saver and spring is to clamp it down using a nut, bolt and washer. I'm not 100% sure how they're doing it but if it were me, I'd probably go with an M3x18 screw, a washer and nylock nut that fit it. The washer and nut on the bottom and the screw through the top. Then compress the spring as much as you want without fear of the threads letting go.

Tightening the stock spring works but the problem is the threads pull out of the plastic if you tighten it too much. A higher rate spring means you don't need quite as much clamping force as the spring won't compress enough to slip the saver out of the V-groove.

The solution a lot of other people on here have used with the stock servo saver and spring is to clamp it down using a nut, bolt and washer. I'm not 100% sure how they're doing it but if it were me, I'd probably go with an M3x18 screw, a washer and nylock nut that fit it. The washer and nut on the bottom and the screw through the top. Then compress the spring as much as you want without fear of the threads letting go.
    For me I just use a longer screw and one size up for when mine stripped. I don't remember the exact size I used. Think a 3x15 or 3x20. I did have to find a length that didn't hit the posts on the chassis that the servo saver went onto. As first screw used hit this and made it so it didn't seat right.

No need for a nut for me.

RC poster
    I'm having bad luck with my X-Maxx. The stock servo stripped out after four runs. I called Traxxas and they told me to send it in so I did. They sent me a whole new servo. After watching their youtube video on how to replace it, I installed it and put it back together. Once I powered the truck on, the servo started twitching the wheels to the left very slowly. Turning the wheel on the controller to the right would straighten the wheels out and the problem seemed to go away. I turned the truck off and then back on. It didn't do it again.

I turned it off again and brought it out side. Turned it back on and it twitched to the left again but not as much. I just went ahead and ran it around the yard and up and down the street. Seemed to work fine. My neighbor came out to take a look at it and I pulled the truck up near us and let it sit idle while we were talking. You could head the motor cooling fan but then all of a sudden another noise came out of the truck....like a high pitched motor running, but the truck was not moving. I tried turning the wheel and the motor noise sounded like it reversed....but the wheels didn't turn. Turning the wheel the opposite direction made the steering servo reverse again. No turning out of the front wheels. I could still use the throttle to move the truck forward and backward. No steering.

The new servo they sent me didn't even last me one run. I wasn't doing any jumps and didn't run the truck hard...just across the lawn and the street. Are the stock servos in these trucks that bad or am I just unlucky? This is my first Traxxas product and I love the truck, but I would expect the servo to last quite a bit longer. Sending it off to them and waiting nearly two weeks to get a replacement part isn't very fun with the X-Maxx unassembled and taking up space on my workbench. I'm hoping the promodeler 630 servo is much better than this one.

With the truck costing $900.00 and requiring another $230.00ish in batterys to run I would haven been willing to pay Traxxas a little more for a truck with a stronger servo.

I'm having bad luck with my X-Maxx. The stock servo stripped out after four runs. I called Traxxas and they told me to send it in so I did. They sent me a whole new servo. After watching their youtube video on how to replace it, I installed it and put it back together. Once I powered the truck on, the servo started twitching the wheels to the left very slowly. Turning the wheel on the controller to the right would straighten the wheels out and the problem seemed to go away. I turned the truck off and then back on. It didn't do it again.

I turned it off again and brought it out side. Turned it back on and it twitched to the left again but not as much. I just went ahead and ran it around the yard and up and down the street. Seemed to work fine. My neighbor came out to take a look at it and I pulled the truck up near us and let it sit idle while we were talking. You could head the motor cooling fan but then all of a sudden another noise came out of the truck....like a high pitched motor running, but the truck was not moving. I tried turning the wheel and the motor noise sounded like it reversed....but the wheels didn't turn. Turning the wheel the opposite direction made the steering servo reverse again. No turning out of the front wheels. I could still use the throttle to move the truck forward and backward. No steering.

The new servo they sent me didn't even last me one run. I wasn't doing any jumps and didn't run the truck hard...just across the lawn and the street. Are the stock servos in these trucks that bad or am I just unlucky? This is my first Traxxas product and I love the truck, but I would expect the servo to last quite a bit longer. Sending it off to them and waiting nearly two weeks to get a replacement part isn't very fun with the X-Maxx unassembled and taking up space on my workbench. I'm hoping the promodeler 630 servo is much better than this one.

With the truck costing $900.00 and requiring another $230.00ish in batterys to run I would haven been willing to pay Traxxas a little more for a truck with a stronger servo.
    Sorry you had the issue.

The twitching to the left is from the tsm.
    Putting the car into reverse for a second will turn tsm off.

Any time I'm letting the car sit for a min . Talking with someone, fixing a ramp ect. I'll out car in reverse for a second then pick front up so tires can center. I've had a few servos go out same way you explained. As the servos are fighting to get back to center. Only this issue on servos with plastic gears.

The plastic gears used in the servo is no very good. Either get a metal gear set. 2087x Or a better servo. If you do get the Promodler 630. Get the metal servo saver spring as well. The stock horn will not fit in the 630. As spline diameter is different. Promodler has a aluminum horn that will work with it. Will need a adapter as well.

You might be able to turn the gears in servo around 180 deg and get some more run time out of it. If gear only broke in one spot.

I totally agree that the cars should just come with metal gear servos out of the box.....

RC poster
    This is what I bought:

https://www.promodeler.com/PDRS209-630

The630 servo with the orange aluminum control arm. I'm going to place an order for the Traxxas 7749 adapter tonight. With all of this, I should be able to resolve my steering issues, right?

This is what I bought:

https://www.promodeler.com/PDRS209-630

The630 servo with the orange aluminum control arm. I'm going to place an order for the Traxxas 7749 adapter tonight. With all of this, I should be able to resolve my steering issues, right?
    Also need this https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/7746X

RC poster
    I was looking at that. I found one and placed an order for it.

I just want to thank you very much for helping me with this truck Acidic01! You've helped me a great deal with your suggestions from batteries to now the steering! Truely appreciate the help! Let me know if you are ever in the Chicago area...I owe you a beer!

RC Racer
    I was looking at that. I found one and placed an order for it.

I just want to thank you very much for helping me with this truck Acidic01! You've helped me a great deal with your suggestions from batteries to now the steering! Truely appreciate the help! Let me know if you are ever in the Chicago area...I owe you a beer!
    Just curious, where did you find the 7746X in stock? I couldn't find it anywhere except from Germany so I went with the Hot Racing aluminum steering crank assembly. Still need to replace the linkage though as I still have the stock plastic one in there and I don't expect it to last very long.

RC poster
    I found it here:

https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/product...19496174878842

They had one in stock when I placed the order last night. Now they say sold out. I have my order confirmation, but I didn't get anything saying it shipped from them yet... so I'm starting to get worried.

RC Qualifier
    i saw some talk about the servo saver in this thread. can someone please explain to me how its supposed to work? When im looking at the saver itself, am i supposed to be able to twist it so that the top half pops out of the V? what is the best way i know its working as designed?

RC Champion
    Turning at high speed
    The Servo saver will be noticeably working
    fabricator

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by varunaX View Post
    i saw some talk about the servo saver in this thread. can someone please explain to me how its supposed to work? When im looking at the saver itself, am i supposed to be able to twist it so that the top half pops out of the V? what is the best way i know its working as designed?
    As CrazyXMAXX says, when you turn the steering at high speeds, the servo saver, the spring, avoid damages to the servo, opposite against the turning.