RC poster

Old Jato Isnt Turning Over

I'm new to nitro/gas powered. A guy on Facebook had 3 bars for sale. One being a jato with the regular engine. I bought it for 300. He told me they ran over 2 years ago. I knew nothing about them but wanted a project.

So anyway, I have replaced the engine with the 3.3. The guy i got it from took care of his stuff. He made his jato electric. Also changed the fuel line, starter, fuel tank, on off switch as well.

Anyway I went to finally start it today and nothing. It doesnt turn over. (Ez start battery is brand new and charged) my jato doesnt have a button to get fuel into the carb. Fuel just stays in the tank. Gear mesh isnt to tight. It's about medium. What am i doing wrong? Or what can I try? I've tried youtube and google lol.

RC Competitor
    I have recently purchased a used car with a 3.3. Must have been setting a while.pull the engine, take the carb off and clean everything. Nitro fuel, wd-40 and turn the engine over by hand on the flywheel. Eventually mine started turning over. Put on the EZ start and started spinning. Put the carb back on and the car together. Tried priming by blocking the exhaust. No luck. Poured a touch of nitro in the carb and fired right up. Good luck and clean everything.
    Last edited by Slush; 07-26-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Slayer Pro, Slash VXL 4x4, Jato 3.3, Rustler 2.5

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    I have recently purchased a used car with a 3.3. Must have been setting a while.pull the engine, take the carb off and clean everything. Nitro fuel, wd-40 and turn the engine over by hand on the flywheel. Eventually mine started turning over. Put on the EZ start and started spinning. Put the carb back on and the car together. Tried priming by blocking the exhaust. No luck. Poured a touch of nitro in the carb and fired right up. Good luck and clean everything.
    Hey ! Thanks for the reply! I'll take the engine out and try cleaning it. It was sitting for about 2 years.

I did spray wd40 in the engine where the glow plug goes. When I take the engine out, how do i clean the carb, or even take it apart? That's the part where the air filter goes correct? Do i just spray that with wd40 and then try the nitro fuel in there?

Also another occurring issue that I cant get the hang of. I can't get the gear mesh smooth. I've tried the paper trick but once the screws are tightened it is so hard to move the gears. What i did was just put 1 screw in to hold the motor and the gears are smooth now.

Have a look at this article by Traxxas. It might help you with a gummed up engine. It also has links if you need to disassemble the engine to clean it.
    https://traxxas.com/support/How-Clean-gummed-engine

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Have a look at this article by Traxxas. It might help you with a gummed up engine. It also has links if you need to disassemble the engine to clean it.
    https://traxxas.com/support/How-Clean-gummed-engine
    Thank you so much grizzly! I'll have a look at that. I'm sure it's just a gummed up engine.

I'll post results and more questions if they arrive!

You can try taking the glow plug then try to turn the engine over by hand. If you can free it up sometimes it's not gummed up too bad and you might not need to pull the engine apart to clean it. Using WD-40 helps to free it up. Then you can try using the EZ-start to see if it turns it over.

RC poster
    You can try taking the glow plug then try to turn the engine over by hand. If you can free it up sometimes it's not gummed up too bad and you might not need to pull the engine apart to clean it. Using WD-40 helps to free it up. Then you can try using the EZ-start to see if it turns it over.
    What part of the engine would I try to turn? (I'm sorry... ik m new to this ) saw the cars for sale pretty cheap and I wanted to try nitro for once lol

Is it the big white looking gear behind the spur and pinion?

Yes, The aluminum flywheel is the perfect thing to use. If you still have the EZ-start bolted on the engine, it's only going to turn in one direction. Looking at the engine from the front (the gear side) it will turn counter-clockwise and if looking at it from the rear (electric starter side (EZ start)) side it turns clockwise.

The shiny knurled part closest to the engine is the flywheel.

Last edited by grizzly03; 07-26-2020 at 10:28 PM.

RC poster
    Yes, The aluminum flywheel is the perfect thing to use. If you still have the EZ-start bolted on the engine, it's only going to turn in one direction. Looking at the engine from the front (the gear side) it will turn counter-clockwise and if looking at it from the rear (electric starter side (EZ start)) side it turns clockwise.
    Ok cool! Thank you for the info! I'm gonna go try that and see what all I can figure out.

Like I said I'm new to this. Had an electric car about 15 years ago and that's it lol

The shiny knurled part closest to the engine is the flywheel.

Well the Jato is very close to running!! I turned the flywheel by hand. It took at least 4 or 5 rotations until it started to ease up a little bit. Now it's pretty easy to turn! Originally you couldn't turn it. So I kept turning, and eventually I got a few sounds! It sounded like it wanted to turn over, and also sounded like it was trying to get fuel into the engine.

I plugged the ez start in and I got it to turn the engine over! But only 1 time, it wouldnt do it after. So i took some wd40 and opened up the carb and squirted a bit in, tried the ez start and it was a pretty powerful turn! So it's getting close. I'm hoping the wd40 cleans it out over night. Might have a running jato tomorrow!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-02-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: merge

Before trying to start the engine with a glowplug make sure to get the excess WD-40 out.

RC poster
    Before trying to start the engine with a glowplug make sure to get the excess WD-40 out.
    Would I just have to tilt it over and drain it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Colton View Post
    Would I just have to tilt it over and drain it out?
    That's how I do it. (Also make sure there is no fuel in the fuel tank to spill out when tipping the truck over). I tip it over with the glow plug out and a rag over the opening and use the EZ-start to turn it over. A quick second is all that is needed to remove the excess.

You can also do the same thing without tipping the truck over. Either way works.

RC poster
    That's how I do it. (Also make sure there is no fuel in the fuel tank to spill out when tipping the truck over). I tip it over with the glow plug out and a rag over the opening and use the EZ-start to turn it over. A quick second is all that is needed to remove the excess.

You can also do the same thing without tipping the truck over. Either way works.

Well I got the wd40 out of the engine. I went to start it and i got a couple of turns but then nothing. I think it still might be gummed up. I'm thinking about taking it to the local hobby shop and have the guy diagnose it. Its come a long way since I bought it lol.

RC Competitor
    Any luck with the Jato?
    Slayer Pro, Slash VXL 4x4, Jato 3.3, Rustler 2.5

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Slush View Post
    Any luck with the Jato?
    Yup! I had a guy stop by today and he had bought my other 2 Nitros, I had asked for help with the jato. Heres what else was wrong...

The battery for the ez start was to low, the 56 tooth spur was to bug and not allowing it to spin, so we put a 54 on it. New fuel lines, and a few needle adjustments. Also moved the engine a bit after the spur was put on. It started right up!

However...
    It did run away from us around 20 mph. Luckily it landed on the neighbors bush and didnt do damage. (I'm hoping they weren't home...haha)

He gave me a new throttle servo and told me to pop that on before running it again.

But all in all it runs, sounds great and I have enough parts to build a jato now! And from the looks of it, I'll be the owner if 2 jatos here shortly!

I want to say thank you for all of the help. You guys are great!

Also I gotta install the carrying bar that goes on the chassis.

Side note, the engine didnt even need cleaned out after sitting ��
    Last edited by Double G; 07-29-2020 at 04:33 PM. Reason: merge

Traxxas Marshal
    Glad to hear you got it running, albeit away from you! Hopefully you get the rest sorted shortly and can drive it!

Please be careful with runaway R/Cs, though! When I used to race, I once saw a nitro buggy take off on its owner, run into a lady, and knock her over! Thankfully she wasn't hurt.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Glad to hear you got it running, albeit away from you! Hopefully you get the rest sorted shortly and can drive it!

Please be careful with runaway R/Cs, though! When I used to race, I once saw a nitro buggy take off on its owner, run into a lady, and knock her over! Thankfully she wasn't hurt.
    Yeah that freaked me out when it took off! Lol. I upgraded my 27.mhz radio to the 2.4ghz radio and I think that has a fail safe installed.

I took it to a vacant parking lot yesterday with a few friends, and that was the first real test. The range the radio has is amazing. No running away, or weird glitches! We strapped a GPS to it and it got to 40mph but it fell of the jato haha.

I went ahead and bought 2 more jatos on ebay...the collection begins lol

Traxxas Marshal
    Going all in, I see. Well enjoy! Nitro can be frustrating at times, but it's really fun once you get your vehicle dialed in. Nitro used to be the king when it came to speed and power, but brushless systems and better battery tech changed all of that. One thing BL doesn't have on nitro is the sound (a plus in my book, but not everyone's) and the smell! Oh, and that you can basically run as long as you want so long as you have the fuel for it!

RC poster
    Going all in, I see. Well enjoy! Nitro can be frustrating at times, but it's really fun once you get your vehicle dialed in. Nitro used to be the king when it came to speed and power, but brushless systems and better battery tech changed all of that. One thing BL doesn't have on nitro is the sound (a plus in my book, but not everyone's) and the smell! Oh, and that you can basically run as long as you want so long as you have the fuel for it!
    Yeah I figured why not lol. The hobby shop told me that I would have to tweak the needles on my nitro every time the temperature changed. So far once I got it running it's been set up the same lol. I've always liked nitro for the smell and sound. I'll never sell my nitro trucks! I do want to get q nitro car, and maybe an electric rc one day.

I wish they started making more nitro stuff!

Traxxas Marshal
    Yeah, you'll need to retune for the weather conditions every time you drive; once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy and quick.

Nitro had its hay day many years ago, you missed it unfortunately. Electrics started becoming more and more popular as speed went up and run times got longer.

RC Competitor

The engine will overheat if you run as long ad you want. haha. I tried that already.

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    The engine will overheat if you run as long ad you want. haha. I tried that already.
    Something is not right then. Your tune and airflow is what keeps the engine from overheating. I've ran a whole gallon of fuel in one sitting before and the engine never overheated.

RC Competitor
    Yeah i wish i was better at tuning. That is part of the reason i sold all my nitro rc cars and switched to brushless electric. I used to be only able to run like 2 small rustler tanks before my engine is so hot i can burn my hand by it.

Yup there is definitely a learning curve. I ruined two engines when I first started out.

The biggest thing that helps is not trying for the absolute best settings for power. Instead I run them on the richer side (needle settings) and it became a fun truck to drive instead of should I adjust for more power.

Traxxas Marshal
    Like anything, it just takes time and practice. The more you do it, the better you will get. Nailing the perfect tune can be a very rewarding experience, and lead to hours of enjoyment. Sometimes, getting to that perfect tune can be a headache and a half if the weather is wildly different. Just goes with the territory with nitro vehicles.

RC poster
    Well, that's an in-depth and inspiring advice, cooleocool. Thanks!