RC poster

Latrax Teton Drift Project, Need Help/Advice

Hi fourum. I thought I would ask everyone about my Latrax Teton. I want to use it for indoor drifting, and want to modify it to better suite drifting. Here are a few things I would like to know:

1. How would I lower it's stance? I need a lower center of gravity

2. What servo would you recommend to replace the stock one? Prefferably a fast one.

3. Could I make the car 2wd by removing the front diffs? If not is there any way to make it 2wd?
    If I could would it act like a 2wd?

Thanks in advance for helping me with my car! Much appreciated!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeCars912 View Post
    Hi fourum. I thought I would ask everyone about my Latrax Teton. I want to use it for indoor drifting, and want to modify it to better suite drifting. Here are a few things I would like to know:

1. How would I lower it's stance? I need a lower center of gravity

2. What servo would you recommend to replace the stock one? Prefferably a fast one.

3. Could I make the car 2wd by removing the front diffs? If not is there any way to make it 2wd?
    If I could would it act like a 2wd?

Thanks in advance for helping me with my car! Much appreciated!
    Cheapest easiest way

1. Pull the springs from the shocks.
    2. Savox SAV-SH0262MG drops straight in (had to swap left and right on the controller)
    3. Just take out the front axles and diff.

You could spend money and time

1. Buy adjustable shocks
    2. Get an ultra fast servo that's too big and custom mount it.
    3. Custom drive shaft.

But I'm just guessing. I've only been tinkering with RC for a month or so.

RC poster
    How aggressive you get with modifications would depend on the kind of drifting in which you are interested. If you want to 3D-print a set of hard plastic wheels and drift slowly around a basketball court I wouldn't change a thing. If you want to fit a set of rubber drifting wheels and do long, high-speed drifts around a track, many more mods could be useful.

1. The degree to which you want to lower the vehicle will be something you can experiment with. I feel pretty comfortable drifting in 4WD with a set of 56mm shocks, firm springs, preload adjuster backed all the way out and the lower shock mount attached to the outermost hole. https://www.hobbytown.com/hot-racing...56dp06/p649895
    That gives the lower arms a slightly upward angle from the skid plate when at rest. With 35 weight fluid the truck feels plenty firm but still absorbs the incidental bumps on the track. I am not aware of a way to fit a sway-bar to this truck.

2. The savox 0262 mentioned above is wicked fast, but it has half the torque of the stock servo. To drift aggressively, you do need fast steering response, but you also need a servo that is strong enough to hold the front wheels where you need them.
    My preference is to keep my car water proof and use the savox SW0250MG. It has twice the torque of the stock servo and it's still quite fast at 0.11 second 60⁰ rating.
    There are other good savox options as well, just pick the specs that matter most to you. All of the servos above are micro-servos and are slightly larger than stock, so some enginuity and YouTube are needed to make them fit. https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/micro-servos
    Many people talk highly of the hitec hs65mg sub-micro servo which fits better, but I have not tried it. The specs are listed as having near-stock torque and great speed.

3. Yes, it is easy to make the truck 2WD. I did it myself just to verify. Open the differential and slide the pinion gear off the drive shaft. I tried mine out with the ring gear and spider gears both installed and removed and found no performance difference, 2WD regardless. Actual driving performance is fair. I find the truck already over-steers in 4WD and switching to 2WD made the rear end even more lose. I don't have good drifting tires, so I can't say how it would work if I had better rubber.

You could get a differential locker for the rear as well, I believe Hot Racing makes one for this truck.

Another thought on steering. If you want high-speed drifts, you might want to find a metal steering bellcrank. The stock plastic servo saver has a significant amount of slop. It doesn't matter for the off-road bashing I enjoy, but it would make it very hard to hold an extended drift line.
    Last edited by Jayremie; 07-30-2020 at 01:04 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayremie View Post
    How aggressive you get with modifications would depend on the kind of drifting in which you are interested. If you want to 3D-print a set of hard plastic wheels and drift slowly around a basketball court I wouldn't change a thing. If you want to fit a set of rubber drifting wheels and do long, high-speed drifts around a track, many more mods could be useful.

1. The degree to which you want to lower the vehicle will be something you can experiment with. I feel pretty comfortable drifting in 4WD with a set of 56mm shocks, firm springs, preload adjuster backed all the way out and the lower shock mount attached to the outermost hole. https://www.hobbytown.com/hot-racing...56dp06/p649895
    That gives the lower arms a slightly upward angle from the skid plate when at rest. With 35 weight fluid the truck feels plenty firm but still absorbs the incidental bumps on the track. I am not aware of a way to fit a sway-bar to this truck.

2. The savox 0262 mentioned above is wicked fast, but it has half the torque of the stock servo. To drift aggressively, you do need fast steering response, but you also need a servo that is strong enough to hold the front wheels where you need them.
    My preference is to keep my car water proof and use the savox SW0250MG. It has twice the torque of the stock servo and it's still quite fast at 0.11 second 60⁰ rating.
    There are other good savox options as well, just pick the specs that matter most to you. All of the servos above are micro-servos and are slightly larger than stock, so some enginuity and YouTube are needed to make them fit. https://www.savoxusa.com/collections/micro-servos
    Many people talk highly of the hitec hs65mg sub-micro servo which fits better, but I have not tried it. The specs are listed as having near-stock torque and great speed.

3. Yes, it is easy to make the truck 2WD. I did it myself just to verify. Open the differential and slide the pinion gear off the drive shaft. I tried mine out with the ring gear and spider gears both installed and removed and found no performance difference, 2WD regardless. Actual driving performance is fair. I find the truck already over-steers in 4WD and switching to 2WD made the rear end even more lose. I don't have good drifting tires, so I can't say how it would work if I had better rubber.

You could get a differential locker for the rear as well, I believe Hot Racing makes one for this truck.

Another thought on steering. If you want high-speed drifts, you might want to find a metal steering bellcrank. The stock plastic servo saver has a significant amount of slop. It doesn't matter for the off-road bashing I enjoy, but it would make it very hard to hold an extended drift line.
    I think I have it figured out, Im not well on money so here are some ideas:

1. I get the https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Alu...s%2C201&sr=8-1.

I cut the springs a little bit shorter and put some tubing inside the shock body. Along with some 30wt oil.

2. I will get the Savox SAV-SH0262MG

3. I will keep it as is 4wd

RC poster
    The shocks you linked are listed as 70mm extended and 56mm compressed. That would raise the vehicle since the stock shocks are 59mm extended.
    The pictures don't look like a 70mm shock though.