RC Racer

Best Gearing for Speed

Hello everyone,

Recently I started to make a Traxxas 1/16th build just for speed/ on road purposes. I have the Traxxas 1/16 Rally wheels and tires, and a Castle 1406 4600kv sv3 system running a 1/10th 3s 5200 mAh battery. I went to speed test it last night, but I only got 37 mph on 3s. Nothing is wrong with the motor or the battery. This same combo gave me 60 mph in a 2wd ECX Amp MT. After running 3s for a while, the motor was barely even warm. I could've kept my hand on it for probably about a minute. It seems like it's not being pushed hard enough. I think the highest gearing combo possible in these 1/16th models is 31/45. Is this correct? Right now i believe I'm running 25/55 or 25/50. I understand that the smaller tires also affect top speed, and I'm looking at 1/10th 12mm foams now. I'm wondering if even 31/45 on 3s won't even push the motor to it's limits.

If anybody has some experience with gearing with these models, please let me know what you think!

Have a look at this web site. It's a speed calculator that will show you about what speed a setup will have.
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Have a look at this web site. It's a speed calculator that will show you about what speed a setup will have.
    https://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
    Thank you for sending that link. I put the info in for my 1/16 Rally, and it gave a theoretical top speed of 37mph, which is exactly what I got a few days ago. Hopefully it's that accurate at higher speeds as well!