Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    622

    Crawler vs Sport

    Whats the difference? I'm looking at getting a crawler soon and I'm thinking about the trx 4 bronco. But i noticed the sport and i kind of like the tacoma look...

    Is basically the only difference the lockers and hi and low range? The rest seems almost identical. Motor, esc, servo, portals. All of it.

    Can i get the sport with the low range and lockers? Do i just buy the bronco kit and but the tacoma body?

    Any input will be greatly appreciated.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,763
    I have the sport kit. I like to pick my electronics. But Ive never wanted to unlock my diffs or go faster than it does now. So Id say for me it would be a waster. Gotta weigh your options. I got the Castle Brushless sensored crawler system. Really goes well in the truck.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    580
    Like Gripdog said, its really based on preference. You could go with either one, but I personally prefer the one with locking diffs and high/low transmission. What I really like about the 2 speed transmission, is that the run time lasts much longer than the Sport (more efficient). Having the unlocking diffs also help for a tighter turning radius (though you don't really need it, it's definitely something nice to have), and also makes the car more stable at high speeds.

    What you could do is to get the sport kit, and add a 2 speed, and the diff locks. Another option is to get the Chassis Kit, and get the narrow fenders (the one of the chassis kit is too wide for the Sport body) and the Sport body. There are various options out there.

    Edit: Something that I have forgotten to say earlier is that the TRX-4s have two different wheelbase lengths: the 12.3" and the 12.75".
    Last edited by RCWilly; 07-28-2020 at 10:33 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    622
    I already have a 2wd slash that i use to beat on so i think ill end up going with the crawler for sure. The 2 speed is awesome and i could really use a diff lock where i drive. Thanks for the input everyone.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    36
    My TRX4 Sport has locked diffs (non-switchable). Single speed trans, but on 3s, its got the perfect pep to move between crawling obstacles quickly, and enough torque/grip to climb things that you would think it couldnt!

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,102
    The difference is the remote locking diff system, and the two speed gearbox, the more simple body shell in the TRX4 RTR, the rest is the same.

  7. #7
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    The difference is the remote locking diff system, and the two speed gearbox, the more simple body shell in the TRX4 RTR, the rest is the same.
    Dont forget the only 2 channel TQ System Reciever and Remote...

    I upgraded to the TQI System to adjust Steering Endpoints, Throttle Responds, Steering Responds etc and add the Bluetooth Modul.

    The Sport is great, but i also needed/wanted one Defender, because it look so nice and you can switch the Diffs and switch Gears. The Defender is better to have a walk with, the Sport is better in extreme terrain.
    The cheapest way is the G-Wagon to have all options of the "normal" TRX-4 (Bluetooth Modul, 2 Gears, Diff open/closed).

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Canary Islands, Tenerife, Spain.
    Posts
    1,102
    Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    Dont forget the only 2 channel TQ System Reciever and Remote...

    I upgraded to the TQI System to adjust Steering Endpoints, Throttle Responds, Steering Responds etc and add the Bluetooth Modul.

    The Sport is great, but i also needed/wanted one Defender, because it look so nice and you can switch the Diffs and switch Gears. The Defender is better to have a walk with, the Sport is better in extreme terrain.
    The cheapest way is the G-Wagon to have all options of the "normal" TRX-4 (Bluetooth Modul, 2 Gears, Diff open/closed).
    Of course, you're OK, the TX is different. I have the TQi too, I did purchase it for more options to config.

  9. #9
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    87
    Did you get it yet, Calebs?

    I thought about it, and the Sport, with it being stuck in low gear, is really slow. It would be ONLY a scale crawler.

    I like to use mine as a general trail truck, with not too much actual crawling, so I spent the extra to get the full-on TRX-4. It's fun to drive around the back yard, put in cruise control and have it go along with me on walks, etc. It wouldn't be fast enough to do this with only low gear.

    Sport is for if you ONLY want it to be a crawler.

    I must admit that the lights really make it look legit, and it's not a reasonable option on a Sport.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier TITANIUM94010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    San Francisco CA
    Posts
    434
    You could probably easily fit the sport body on the Bronco, adding 2 speed and lockers to the sport is going to be more expensive.

    The high gear and unlockable diffs are really nice to have when trailing around and not crawling. The low-speed gearing on the sport will go somewhat fast, but it's pretty noisy and is really inefficient at speeds.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

  11. #11
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    Did you get it yet, Calebs?

    I thought about it, and the Sport, with it being stuck in low gear, is really slow. It would be ONLY a scale crawler.

    I like to use mine as a general trail truck, with not too much actual crawling, so I spent the extra to get the full-on TRX-4. It's fun to drive around the back yard, put in cruise control and have it go along with me on walks, etc. It wouldn't be fast enough to do this with only low gear.

    Sport is for if you ONLY want it to be a crawler.

    I must admit that the lights really make it look legit, and it's not a reasonable option on a Sport.
    No not yet. Almost have what i need in the savings. And yeah ive made the decision to get a defender. I like the body style.. And between the Broncos blazers and defender your just getting a different body really. I was leaning hard towards the axial scx10 for the jeep body and to save a few bucks but id have to buy micro servos and ill already need to do that with the traxxas steering servo cause i heard it isnt very strong.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Salado Tx
    Posts
    216
    I have 2 Summits that basically have the same hi/lo system and locking hubs. Leave them mostly in low range when I crawl or trail them. I do get into hi range when I do some casual bashing. However, I also have a TRX 4 Sport kit that I built, single speed and locked diffs. The HH 1080 tunable esc with a quality brushed motor makes a big difference. My set up allows for super smooth slow start crawling but then enough wheel speed to go between areas almost a jogging pace. It can definitely out run me! Either way you go your gonna love a TRX style vehicle.

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    No not yet. Almost have what i need in the savings. And yeah ive made the decision to get a defender. I like the body style.. And between the Broncos blazers and defender your just getting a different body really. I was leaning hard towards the axial scx10 for the jeep body and to save a few bucks but id have to buy micro servos and ill already need to do that with the traxxas steering servo cause i heard it isnt very strong.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Just be aware that the bronco/blazer/sport/gwagon are all 12.3" wheelbase while the defender is 12.8" If you decide you want to go with a different body at some point you can get the parts to make the defender 12.3" for under $30. There are 12.8" bodies out there but very few compared to 12.3" That said I love the stock defender body and don't plan on changing mine for a good while.

    This is the parts kit to change the wheelbase.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8058
    Last edited by bearfoot990; 08-04-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    E-Maxx
    Slash VXL
    TRX-4 Defender

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier Calebs0615's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfoot990 View Post
    Just be aware that the bronco/blazer/sport/gwagon are all 12.3" wheelbase while the defender is 12.8" If you decide you want to go with a different body at some point you can get the parts to make the defender 12.3" for under $30. There are 12.8" bodies out there but very few compared to 12.3" That said I love the stock defender body and don't plan on changing mine for a good while.

    This is the parts kit to change the wheelbase.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8058
    Thank you. Im torn between the bronco and defender really. I love the bronco well cause its a bronco. But the defender has a ton of cool scale accessories on the truck.

    Im really leaning towards the bronco and get the led light kit, the more time that passes.

    Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    580
    I have both (well not really both... my "Bronco" is a kit with a Bronco body that I have painted), and they are both amazing. If you want a bit more performance, get the Bronco, since it does not have all the roll cage weight on top. Scale wise, they are both pretty scale, and they are also very iconic vehicles (which is probably why both Ford and Land Rover are bringing them back).

    For aftermarket options, I have seen plenty for both (the body accessories), but the Defender probably has a bit more options than the Bronco.

    The Bronco has fenders attached to the chassis, while the Defender has the fenders attached to the body itself. On dusty trails, the Defender is able to maintain a much cleaner chassis (since there is no gap between the fenders and the body), but the Bronco has nearly everything in the chassis covered in a thick layer of dust (which can be very annoying to clean if you do not have compressed air).

    Since the Defender does not have the fenders on the chassis, the shocks are easily accessible. For the Bronco, you might have to fiddle around with it more for the first few times. Having no fenders on the chassis also allows more reach to other places, so the Defender is easier to work on imo.

    Installing light kits on the Bronco was a breeze, while the Defender took a bit more time, but you really only have to do it once (unless you get another body or something).

    In terms of value, the Defender has "better" value, since it comes with a roll cage, roof rack, spare tire, jack, and gas cans.

    Of the two, my favorite is the Bronco, but I also really like how scale, and iconic the Defender is, so I would say it definitely is based on personal opinion.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    87
    I didn't know the Defender model had a longer wheelbase. That will be better for general running around, but worse for crawling.

    One other thing I learned about the G500 in my local shop was that the light kit is not as good as for the Bronco. It's just not as well-engineered; it takes twice as long to put in and has all these little wires everywhere. I don't know if this is the case for the Defender as well.

    I think the Bronco costs the same or very close to the Defender body model, so if you like the Bronco body better, it's a no-brainer. Then, install the light kit when you have the extra $60 together. The Bronco looks LEGIT with the light kit. It has the side marker lights and everything. I'm running mine gently on 2S until I get a Sport body purchased and painted up for general bashing, as they make it almost impossible to get another Bronco body for a reasonable cost. ($170!)

    The G500 body version is the cheapest, but it also looks the worst, IMO. And the light kit thing.

    I wish the regular TRX-4 came in a kit with a body, not just the sport. They make it so that if you get the kit, by the time you add the body, it costs the same, PLUS you have to paint it.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

  17. #17
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bearfoot990 View Post
    There are 12.8" bodies out there but very few compared to 12.3" That said I love the stock defender body and don't plan on changing mine for a good while.
    Most sites that sell bodies are showing a lot of 12.3 313mm bodies will work fine on the TRX-4. A quick search and I found over 20 that claim to be compatible. That was a decent enough number for me, plus all of my initial research shows the 12.3" platform seems to be more common than the 12.8 now. If I am way off on this please let me know as it might change my mind on buying a Sport but even just visiting the LHS a few time over the last 2 weeks the 12.3 is a much more common size at least in this area. I am actually picking up a TRX-4 tonight and then I have 2 bodies along with all the airbrush stuff as I am going to try my hand at that. It will not go well but it should be fun.

    8195 and 8196 are the part numbers also to convert the transmission and diffs. I am going to get them ordered from the local shop since they were out of stock right now, along with the 4 channel transmitter. I think this will give me plenty of time to crawl without having too many options to screw myself up with and as I get more experienced I will change the parts over.

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    580
    For the transmitter, I would recommend at least a 5 or 6 channel radio, since a 4 channel radio isn't really enough for everything. You may want to add a winch or something to control the lights in the future, so just keep that in mind.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  19. #19
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    I wish the regular TRX-4 came in a kit with a body, not just the sport. They make it so that if you get the kit, by the time you add the body, it costs the same, PLUS you have to paint it.
    There are pre-painted bodies if you get TRA82016-4-R6 which is the plain kit. I found a few painted bodies for under $70 which really makes it affordable. I am going to get a Sport tonight, well was between this and my last post you really got me to thinking. Instead of spending the extra money on the conversion kit I could just by this kit and a body right away. Not sure my local shop has one though that will be the determining factor. They have been pretty low on stock and I don't recall seeing the kit there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •