RC Qualifier

Hobbywing MAX10 SCT Combo

What are your opinions about the MAX10 SCT ESC?

My VXL ESC shorted out, I think.
    Should I get a new one, use the warranty (and wait weeks/months) or get a MAX10 SCT?

Getting the MAX10 seems the cheapest/quickest option

RC Competitor
    I absolutely love mine. https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...W-3200KV-Combo there is a link to the thread of my slash with the max10 SCT motor combo from hobbywing.

It is still running very strong and I have had no issues with it. I am very satisfied at the price, performance and most importantly, availability of this motor combo.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for this info. All info I have is threads about 1 person having multiple ESC's failing, and everybody else saying hobbywing is great.

RC poster
    I personally have been look at the xr8 sct with 3660 4300kv combo. And from everyone I have talked to they would rather have hobbywing than castle

RC Qualifier
    From what I have heared, Castle has way more features that are not needed for simple bashing, and Hobbywing doesn't have those, and is cheaper because of that

RC Competitor
    The first thing that I do when I get a 1/10 scale traxxas anything is to put a Hobbywing EZ Run Max 10 combo in place of the stock esc/motor. No more shorting out or any problems like that!

RC Qualifier
    Good to know that many of you are happy with your MAX10 SCT

RC Enthusiast
    Yep , best money spent so far . I have that combo in my ultimate slash and my stampede . Much more low end torque and power across the top end . Much less heat as well .
    Both are mated with the Robinson racing slipper clutch and metal spur gear . I am very pleased with the proformance of these three add-ons .

RC Qualifier
    I have nice experience with max 10 sct combo, only thing i will change is motor, I will go with some bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The max10 sct is pretty good, but the 3660SL motor it comes with tends to run hot. I ran it in my stampede for a while. It did better with the hobbystar 3665/3100kv motor than the 3660SL it came with. I've since moved the motor and esc over to my eJato and it's doing really well there. I ended up going with 1/8th electronics in my stampede to handle what I do with it better.

I was still overheating the max10 sct on 3S after some spirited running with it. It did great at the skate park, but extended running at my grass bmx track tends to make everything run hot.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    I have lower gearing and a cooler, and my VXL motor only gets warm when pushinh the throttle very hard. I think heat won’t be a big problem, if I’m careful

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    I have lower gearing and a cooler, and my VXL motor only gets warm when pushinh the throttle very hard. I think heat won’t be a big problem, if I’m careful
    It runs noticeably cooler in my eJato with the hobbystar 3665 3100kv than the vxl-3s/hobbystar 3660 3200kv I had in it. It ran warmer in my stampede. I have it geared taller now and put on higher grip tires (grass bashing) and it or the motor still barely break 115F, even pushed hard in the grass on a 85F day. Didn't expect it to do so well really. I only put it in the eJato because I was having a weird hesitation under hard acceleration with the previous system. Wasn't sure if it was the receiver, the esc or the lipo's. Seems it was the esc (vxl-3s).

RC Qualifier
    Wich is better? The stock motor, or the 3660?

I'm not sure. My stock motor died after a few 3S runs in my eJato. I replaced it with a hobbystar 3660/3200kv and didn't notice a huge difference really in general performance. The HS 3660 ran a bit cooler. I only put the 3665 in it because I had it and it had a bit more torque than the 3660 it replaced. So I have 2 3660's in the drawer I'm not using at the moment. One is the HW 3660SL that came with the max10 sct combo, the other is the HS3660 I bought separate. The HS 3665 performs better than all 3 (trx 3500, hw 3660sl, hs 3660) of them really. More torque, a bit cooler running.

If you think you can fit it, in a stampede you would be better off with a 3670 and the max10 sct probably. May be annoying to fit though.

This was with the 3665 in there and the max10 sct:

I removed one of the esc legs to make room:

When I installed the slash chassis, I put in the BLX185 (150A 1/8th esc) with the 3665. Had tons of room:

Currently have an HPI Torq 4074 2200kv in there:
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 07-30-2020 at 07:02 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Tnx for all the advice! I now know that the Max10 SCT is reliable, so I will be buying it in an hour.