RC poster

Slayer Pro Receiver Battery location

Simple question, I've been running the stock AA battery box with Lithium batteries which has been fine. Though i don't replace the batteries often it is expensive!

I want a 5 cell receiver pack for the future.

Which receiver pack shape works best on the Slayer?

Where are you guys mounting the receiver pack? Pics would be great!

Thanks!

I've used nimh and life battery packs. You can see what size the Traxxas flat and hump packs are and purchase those or others based upon the physical size. If you do those will fit into the receiver box.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    awesome, thanks. I'm just getting back into the hobbby and haven't seen them in person yet as the hobby shops just reopened here and are pretty much picked clean of almost everything!

RC Qualifier
    Traxxas part numbers for the optional Slayer NiMH battery pack and charger are 3036/2933

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    Traxxas part numbers for the optional Slayer NiMH battery pack and charger are 3036/2933

Thanks, would it be part numbers 3036 for the battery and 3028 for the charger adapter? 2933 looks like it might be something else entirely.

Also, it looks like i can wire the charging adapter so i can leave the pack installed and not have to remove it from thh car to charge. Is that what the "extra" power connector in the receiver/battery box is for?

RC Qualifier
    I took the part numbers off the latest Slayer owners manual online, it looks like they're selling the EZ Peak plus charger to charge the NiMH pack now instead of the simple little wall charger i have. Mine came with a adapter to use with a charger with the molex plug. As far as your other questions I don't know. I can't look right now at my car or manual.

Now I have a little more time to write. You can use Traxxas 3036 or 3037 for the battery but you'll also need 3035 for the switch and charger lead - if you don't already have one. Then you can plug a receiver extension from the charger into the side of the receiver box (inner side by the switch) and charge the battery without opening it up. You can use any charger that will charge nimh batteries - just need to buy or make a wire for it.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks guys for the help, i have some parts on order from the lhs.

Hopefully i can take it from here!

This was the last one I bought:
    https://www.amazon.com/Venom-1600mAh.../dp/B000RRQPJG

One of my revo's started as a slayer, my other started as a revo. I use a flat pack in both of them. I have a few chargers now that I run brushless trucks, but I still use an old MRC 959 that I've had for over a decade to charge my NiMH cells.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Competitor
    Man! I was just wondering about this today. I received an RC car that had a 7.4 lipo. Good batt, too. I charged and balanced it today. Will that kill a Traxxas receiver? Olds? Flat pack, little 1600 mah.
    Last edited by Slush; 09-01-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    Slayer Pro, Slash VXL 4x4, Jato 3.3, Rustler 2.5

RC Competitor
    For the receiver.
    Slayer Pro, Slash VXL 4x4, Jato 3.3, Rustler 2.5

Traxxas receivers are rated for 6.0v but a fully charged nimh may start out around 7 volts but will stay around 6 or so until it is discharged. I run a LiFe battery that at storage is 6.6v and full is 7.2v and haven't had an issue; bought it because I didn't want to buy a lipo and then something to step the voltage down to safer levels.

I haven't heard of anyone smoking a Traxxas receiver by pushing gobs of voltage through it; they seem to be able to handle mid-high 6's with no problems. A fully charged lipo is 8.4v and will probably burn up the receiver. The internal BEC of an ESC will step the voltage down to 6.0v (in Traxxas, Castle's usually start at 5.1v - some are adjustable without an external BEC) but if you run higher power servo(s) then an external BEC for electrics.
    The Super Derecho