RC Racer

Servo Upgrade for TRX-4 Defender

Its really required?
    How hard/easy is it?
    Does it require any additional parts replacement?

The Traxxas 2255 is a easy swap?

Any other recommended servos that are cheaper and perform similar if not better than Traxxas 2255 without requiring any additional modifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Yes, I have one, a power HD 25kg, I cant give the specs but a huge difference over stock and I also recommend a better quality metal servo horn, I dont know when it happened but the power HD one eventually stripped out

The 2255 (400oz) is a great servo, but it is expensive for what it is. The Power HD 25kg (326oz) servo is a little less powerful, but should be able to handle just about anything you throw at it. Both are waterproof.

If you are still running the stock ESC (XL5-HV) without an external BEC, you will have issues running either of these servos. Given that the ESC's BEC is only rated to 1 amp, more than likely if the servo gets bound up you will fry the BEC, which will kill the ESC. A great cost effective replacement ESC is the HW1080; it has a 3A BEC which is enough for either of these servos.

Replacing a servo isn't difficult.
    Take a picture of how your current servo looks installed.
    Open the RX box, unplug the servo (first slot), pull the servo cord out of the wiring and back to the servo.
    Unbolt the servo horn from the servo
    Unbolt the servo and remove it
    Put the new servo in orientated the same way as the old servo, bolt it down.
    Route the servo wire back to the RX box and plug it in (either of the first two slots)
    Turn on your radio and zero all of the steering controls
    Turn on your truck
    With the front wheels as close to center as you can get them, put the servo horn on. Push the horn on to the output splines
    Turn off your truck
    Put the servo horn screw in and tighten down (bad idea to do this when the truck is on)
    Power the truck back on and check the steering. It is OK if the steering is a little off, you can adjust this at the radio. Use the steering pot on the radio to center the wheels as straight as you can get.
    With the radio, turn the wheels full left and right. With the steering all of the way into the stops there should be just a little bit of servo whine. If the steering is not touching the stops, adjust the expo on the radio until there is a bit of whine. If the servo is whining loudly, back off the expo. Repeat for the opposite direction.
    Your servo is not installed and adjusted, drive it like you rented it!!!
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-30-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Would the installation of one of these servos, and associated BEC, have a noticeable effect on battery run time?
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by sarthetrx4 View Post
    Would the installation of one of these servos, and associated BEC, have a noticeable effect on battery run time?
    And also would it void the warranty?

RC Racer
    No effect on run time, BEC just ups the voltage and amps to the servo.
    And it shouldn't void your warranty, but knowing Traxxas, anything that is not Traxxas brand is "not recommended".
    I used 2255 and traxxas BEC for my TRX6. I then switched to hobbywing for my ESC and got rid of the traxxas BEC.

The Traxxas BEC is an expensive option, but it works and is, for the most part, plug-n-play, no soldering.

The cleanest and least expensive option is going with the HW1080. But, you have to be careful, the stock RX is only rated to 6VDC, and the HW1080 BEC is selectable between 6VDC or 7.2VDC. Some people have said they are running the stock radio at 7+ volts, but I have fried every stock RX I have tried that with.

No matter what option you choose, you should not see a noticeable drop in run time. Your really only using that higher amperage when the servo is being taxed, would should not be that often, or that long when it does happen.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Also, don't forget to swap out the plastic servo horn for the metal one, as it strips out pretty easily.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Also, don't forget to swap out the plastic servo horn for the metal one, as it strips out pretty easily.
    May be I order this right away? Any link in which one to get?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by deuter View Post
    May be I order this right away? Any link in which one to get?

8247X - That's the traxxas part number.
    They are sold everywhere online. There are plenty aftermarket servo horns but I went with traxxas because I had issues with other servo horns hitting the links. the traxxas one does not have clearance issues.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstudded_6.0 View Post
    They are sold everywhere online. There are plenty aftermarket servo horns but I went with traxxas because I had issues with other servo horns hitting the links. the traxxas one does not have clearance issues.
    I might just wait for it then, thanks dude.

RC Racer
    Id have put one in but couldnt find one in oz in the interwebs
    Im all for keeping my money in oz

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Borderdog View Post
    Id have put one in but couldnt find one in oz in the interwebs
    Im all for keeping my money in oz
    Its not so much about keeping the money in, its more about getting it shipped and delivered right away.
    I dont want to wait 3 months for it to arrive.

RC Racer
    Agreed... I wouldnt want to either

RC Racer
    for all the necessary upgrades, il order domestic. For other not so important parts..I use AliExpress. I dont mind the wait time. I'm paying 1/4 of original prices and free shipping lol.
    Besides the longest I've waited is a month. Not too bad.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    For me here in France, the reality is that everything "RC" has to be imported by someone. I'm fortunate in having a couple of good French on-line shops, one in particular that gets stuff to me in a day or so. But I have used AliExpress for some bits recently. A longer wait no doubt caused by COVID, but sooo cheap compared to the usual European price! So I could live with the wait for the few "non-essential" cosmetic items. But I confess I did a lot of shopping around to get my (Yellow) Defender and in the end it came from the UK, in two days! My wife's (in red) was available here about a month later.
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Racer
    For me here in France, the reality is that everything "RC" has to be imported by someone. I'm fortunate in having a couple of good French on-line shops, one in particular that gets stuff to me in a day or so. But I have used AliExpress for some bits recently. A longer wait no doubt caused by COVID, but sooo cheap compared to the usual European price! So I could live with the wait for the few "non-essential" cosmetic items. But I confess I did a lot of shopping around to get my (Yellow) Defender and in the end it came from the UK, in two days! My wife's (in red) was available here about a month later.
    Did you have to shop around to ensure you got the yellow or was it just a good price?

RC Champion
    for all the necessary upgrades, il order domestic. For other not so important parts..I use AliExpress. I dont mind the wait time. I'm paying 1/4 of original prices and free shipping lol.
    Besides the longest I've waited is a month. Not too bad.

I do the same, but I use chinese sellers from Ebay.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I do the same, but I use chinese sellers from Ebay.
    Yea Ebay works as well! And the sellers I order from have really good customer service.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    The 2255 (400oz) is a great servo, but it is expensive for what it is. The Power HD 25kg (326oz) servo is a little less powerful, but should be able to handle just about anything you throw at it. Both are waterproof.

If you are still running the stock ESC (XL5-HV) without an external BEC, you will have issues running either of these servos. Given that the ESC's BEC is only rated to 1 amp, more than likely if the servo gets bound up you will fry the BEC, which will kill the ESC. A great cost effective replacement ESC is the HW1080; it has a 3A BEC which is enough for either of these servos.

Replacing a servo isn't difficult.
    Take a picture of how your current servo looks installed.
    Open the RX box, unplug the servo (first slot), pull the servo cord out of the wiring and back to the servo.
    Unbolt the servo horn from the servo
    Unbolt the servo and remove it
    Put the new servo in orientated the same way as the old servo, bolt it down.
    Route the servo wire back to the RX box and plug it in (either of the first two slots)
    Turn on your radio and zero all of the steering controls
    Turn on your truck
    With the front wheels as close to center as you can get them, put the servo horn on. Push the horn on to the output splines
    Turn off your truck
    Put the servo horn screw in and tighten down (bad idea to do this when the truck is on)
    Power the truck back on and check the steering. It is OK if the steering is a little off, you can adjust this at the radio. Use the steering pot on the radio to center the wheels as straight as you can get.
    With the radio, turn the wheels full left and right. With the steering all of the way into the stops there should be just a little bit of servo whine. If the steering is not touching the stops, adjust the expo on the radio until there is a bit of whine. If the servo is whining loudly, back off the expo. Repeat for the opposite direction.
    Your servo is not installed and adjusted, drive it like you rented it!!!
    I ordered the Power HD 25 Kgs and will run it stock at 6 Volts with my Traxxas esc and Bec.
    I believe that should be fine right?
    Will get 23 kgs torque and .16 secs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I ordered the Power HD 25 Kgs and will run it stock at 6 Volts with my Traxxas esc and Bec.
    I believe that should be fine right?
    Will get 23 kgs torque and .16 secs.

I have that one. Its very good for this truck.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    I have that one. Its very good for this truck.

Nice, so its a direct swap? Nothing else to change right.

RC Enthusiast
    I am using the Power HD in my Defender also. The leads are shorter than the Traxxas servo leads, you will need to add a 4" or 6" servo extension cable. Or you can cut the cable from the Traxxas servo and solder a piece of it to the Power HD servo cable.
    Reinhard

RC poster
    There is a long wire/cable version for the trx-4. Maybe not in the USA...but in Germany i ordered one.
    36cm Cable
    Power-HD Digital Servo LW-25MG
    Power HD HV Digital Servo LW-25MG

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    There is a long wire/cable version for the trx-4. Maybe not in the USA...but in Germany i ordered one.
    36cm Cable
    Power-HD Digital Servo LW-25MG
    Power HD HV Digital Servo LW-25MG
    There is a TRX-4 version with the longer cable, I doubt the one I ordered is that.
    The extension cable is cheap I might just buy that too.

RC Competitor
    I see that the Power HD servo comes with a selection of "horns", but not sure if they are plastic or metal. Are they compatible with the TRX4, or is a good idea to buy for example, the Traxxas metal version? Would the Traxxas version fit the Power HD servo?

Assuming I have an external BEC (which would be the Traxxas 2262), am I right in thinking that the Power HD servo with the longer cable would then just be "plug and play" fitting along the lines of the instructions for the Traxxas item?
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Racer
    I see that the Power HD servo comes with a selection of "horns", but not sure if they are plastic or metal. Are they compatible with the TRX4, or is a good idea to buy for example, the Traxxas metal version? Would the Traxxas version fit the Power HD servo?

Assuming I have an external BEC (which would be the Traxxas 2262), am I right in thinking that the Power HD servo with the longer cable would then just be "plug and play" fitting along the lines of the instructions for the Traxxas item?
    My understanding is you dont need an external Bec with the PowerHD 25, just swap it with the original.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

I run a Mamba X so I have no need for a BEC. And I run the standard aluminum horn the Sport kit provided. I have many others but standard works great. I built mine so as far as a direct swap, I dont know, definitely drops right in.

RC Qualifier
    My understanding is you dont need an external Bec with the PowerHD 25, just swap it with the original.

It'll run at the 6v or whatever. Your esc is giving.. You'll be good to go! The metal traxxas servo horn is perfect.
    Eventually you could get the HW 1080 and it'll run At 7.4. Good strong servo is one of the most important pieces on my TRx4 sport.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Dont just switch the hw 1080 to 7,4 Volt.
    The stock mini servos and tqi reciever dont like 7,4 volts!

RC Champion
    Agree with this, prefer to use a high force servo when it works at 6V, other option is to use a bypass and an UBEC for the steering servo when it works at 7,4V.

RC Qualifier
    Yes sorry! I have an aftermarket remote and receiver that run at 7.4 volts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqualungs View Post
    Yes sorry! I have an aftermarket remote and receiver that run at 7.4 volts.

Good choice RX, but the micro servos don't admit 7,4V.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Good choice RX, but the micro servos don't admit 7,4V.
    I also have a Sport and no micro servos.. Im not good at this lol

RC Competitor
    Based on, and as a result of, what's been said here, I did a little more "digging". The consensus is that the Power HD servo would work without a new BEC, but on the basis of having a stock car (Defender). With the addition of the LED kit and the ESS, plus the additional weight of a few accessories, a BEC is advised.

I doubt very much that I'll be going down the Hobby Wing route - I'm not into soldering and re calibrating etc! - but I may well get Traxxas BEC's for our cars, plus servos and metal horns.

And if the Power HD is literally a "plug and play" fit, that'll probably be my choice.
    Stephen
    An Englishman in France
    Vallee du Loir.

RC Racer
    Based on, and as a result of, what's been said here, I did a little more "digging". The consensus is that the Power HD servo would work without a new BEC, but on the basis of having a stock car (Defender). With the addition of the LED kit and the ESS, plus the additional weight of a few accessories, a BEC is advised.

I doubt very much that I'll be going down the Hobby Wing route - I'm not into soldering and re calibrating etc! - but I may well get Traxxas BEC's for our cars, plus servos and metal horns.

And if the Power HD is literally a "plug and play" fit, that'll probably be my choice.
    Cool direction to head in, the BEC is hard to come by.
    But you can always disconnect the ESS and the rest should be fine.
    I recently had the batt go flat and the defender wouldnt move but the led was lit bright.
    The lights take very less juice.