RC poster

Foam insert came apart, can these be purchased by themselves?

As the title states, I had a foam come apart this evening. The tires have plenty of tread left, as my XMaxx is only three days old. Can these be purchased separately? I can only find foam\tire combos.

If that new talk with Traxxas support they may be able to just send you new tires for free?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    You know...that didn't even occur to me. I may just get lucky. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

My lhs sells just foam for tires but don't think they for for xmaxx. And ungluing tires is a pita

RC poster
    I can find foams for pretty much everything but the X-Maxx from various online stores. Nearest hobby shop is an hour away. I don't expect to find foams, but hopefully I can find a set of X-Maxx tires so I can get it running again this weekend. They carry a lot of Traxxas stuff.

I've done tires quite a few times over the years.....baking, boiling, acetone. All successful, with various levels of stinking up the kitchen. It seems the trick is to not get impatient. Let the process work and the tires come right off. I then like to attach the wheel to a drill and use sandpaper to clean up the tire-bead channels. The scuffing seems to help the glue adhere a little better, too.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBusch2 View Post
    As the title states, I had a foam come apart this evening. The tires have plenty of tread left, as my XMaxx is only three days old. Can these be purchased separately? I can only find foam\tire combos.
    żAre your tire unglued?, it is, call Traxxas Support, is the best option for a recent new truck.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    żAre your tire unglued?, it is, call Traxxas Support, is the best option for a recent new truck.
    Not unglued. The foam inside came apart and is now bunched to one side.

RC Champion
    Not unglued. The foam inside came apart and is now bunched to one side.
    Never heard of an Xmaxx foam failing
    Did water get inside ?
    ddmracing.com madmax 5T 5B tires

Traxxas support report-
    fabricator

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    Never heard of an Xmaxx foam failing
    Did water get inside ?
    No water. Taped up the holes, drilled the center of a couple of lugs. Been doing this for years without issue on smaller models. Heck, it hasn't rained in a couple of weeks. I was hoping for some rain to help keep the dust down.

In any event, I contacted Traxxas, waiting for feedback. Purchased an extra set of tires, regardless. Now the waiting game. Local (If you can call an hour away, "local") doesn't stock X-Maxx stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, guys!

What tires did you go with? Hopefully Traxxas will send you a new one. It feels like a manufacturing issue to me.

Lame your closest hobby store doesn't carry xmaxx parts. I've been spoiled by my lhs's. They tend to have everything as far as stock parts i need for my cars everytime I stop by and one only 10 mins away. I got 7 stores within 30-40 mins and 2 more 1h away. Someone trends to have the parts if I start calling around.

Wish I could send one your way.

The future of tires for all models seems to be leaning towards the belted MFT (Micro Fiber Technology) tires due to the higher RPM's and weights of the newer vehicles.

I talked to a guy that glued his own belted tires without foams and sealed up any possible way for air to escape or get in the tires and he said he couldn't tell the difference between running with foams and not running with foams.

Now what ProLine needs to do is make belted tires that mount like the MX-43 Badlands and foams will be the last thing you will have to worry about bunching up in one side of the tire!
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC poster
    I purchased my xmaxx 6-7 months and had one fail after 3 months. Called traxxas and they said I was S.O.L. Told me I had to buy a new set of tires to get the foam. So I went to Joann fabrics and purchased high density extra firm open cell cushion foam. Cut it with an electric knife. Worked great. No issues so far.

The factory stuff is a flat piece of foam glued together at the ends. I never drove thru water and never cleaned with water or soap or anything. The piece I made has no seams, just one continuous piece.
    Last edited by Racerbwr1; 07-31-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Racerbwr1 View Post
    I purchased my xmaxx 6-7 months and had one fail after 3 months. Called traxxas and they said I was S.O.L. Told me I had to buy a new set of tires to get the foam. So I went to Joann fabrics and purchased high density extra firm open cell cushion foam. Cut it with an electric knife. Worked great. No issues so far.

The factory stuff is a flat piece of foam glued together at the ends. I never drove thru water and never cleaned with water or soap or anything. The piece I made has no seams, just one continuous piece.
    Could you please elaborate how it is one continuous piece. Foam is sold in rolls and is cut to length for packaging purposes.

Please share a product number or link to what you are referring to as I cannot find foam in one continuous piece unless it is cake foam; but finding the diameter to match the rims yet alone the tire diameter is near impossible unless..........well you are buying tire foams.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Could you please elaborate how it is one continuous piece. Foam is sold in rolls and is cut to length for packaging purposes.

Please share a product number or link to what you are referring to as I cannot find foam in one continuous piece unless it is cake foam; but finding the diameter to match the rims yet alone the tire diameter is near impossible unless..........well you are buying tire foams.
    I think they are talking about cut to size high density cushion foam. You can get some foam in different thicknesses and then you can cut out a complete piece. I was thinking of getting some for an odyssey seat.
    https://www.joann.com/shopping/?q=hi...nditions=false

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I think they are talking about cut to size high density cushion foam. You can get some foam in different thicknesses and then you can cut out a complete piece.

Oh that's right, I didn't see they had the different thicknesses at first. I was looking at the wrong foams anyways to begin with.

Thanks for that link grizzly!

@Racerbwr1

I see how you did it now partner!

RC poster
    Yep! That’s exactly what I bought! I got the 4” thick. They will cut exactly how long you want. I thick I only spend $8-10 and got enough todo 4 tires. I will say it’s not quite as dense as the foam from traxxas, but it is very close.

My Xmaxx is one of the first ones made. When I got it, my wheels weren't glued properly. When I took my tires off (to reglue them) I notice the foams weren't glued very well either. I used a product called 1300L to reglue them, and have never had a problem since. The product 1300L is like a contact cement on steroids. The only way you can break it down (once it dries) is with MEK. If I was making or replacing my foams, that's the stuff I would use. You use it like contact cement, and it last forever.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Competitor
    This is how I cut the foam for my gun cases: https://bryanearl.com/blog/how-to-tu...ot-wire-cutter

For wheel foam, I would cut the foam into squares with sides roughly the same as the diameter I'm going for and a hole punched through the middle. Then drill holes in the table that are both the inner and outer radius length away from the wire. You then put a peg in the furthest hole from the wire and and put the foam on the peg using the center hole in the foam. From there just spin the foam on the peg letting the wire cut a perfect circle.

Move the foam to the closer hole in the cutting table and repeat the process. (make a pilot hole in the foam near your inner radius, string the wire through the foam and then turn the heat on) Just be careful this time as the loose outer foam ring you are making will be the part you want to save. When you complete the inner cut, hold the ring as far away from the hot wire as you can while removing the center part. (save that for later as you can make smaller wheel foam rings with it) With the center out of the way, you can comfortably position the ring you just cut in a safe position as you cool and unhook the hot wire. Repeat for each wheel.

Once you have the peg holes cut, you're now setup to rapidly produce as many wheel foam rings as you need.

If you're still having trouble visualizing this, something similar to this:

Last edited by cgrant26; 08-01-2020 at 04:03 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    My Xmaxx is one of the first ones made. When I got it, my wheels weren't glued properly. When I took my tires off (to reglue them) I notice the foams weren't glued very well either. I used a product called 1300L to reglue them, and have never had a problem since. The product 1300L is like a contact cement on steroids. The only way you can break it down (once it dries) is with MEK. If I was making or replacing my foams, that's the stuff I would use. You use it like contact cement, and it last forever.
    Good to know about this product.

Yep! That’s exactly what I bought! I got the 4” thick. They will cut exactly how long you want. I thick I only spend $8-10 and got enough todo 4 tires. I will say it’s not quite as dense as the foam from traxxas, but it is very close.
    Wait a minute here!

You said that you purchased the high density extra firm open cell foam from Joann Fabrics and now you are saying that it was not quite as dense as the foams from Traxxas.

How can that be?

The foams from Traxxas are no where near even medium density compared to some foams that I have used in the past for other projects, especially when compared to some high density upholstery foam that I plan on trying.

RC poster
    Wait a minute here!

You said that you purchased the high density extra firm open cell foam from Joann Fabrics and now you are saying that it was not quite as dense as the foams from Traxxas.

How can that be?

The foams from Traxxas are no where near even medium density compared to some foams that I have used in the past for other projects, especially when compared to some high density upholstery foam that I plan on trying.
    I never stated that It was extra firm compared to rc tire foam. I only stated how Joann has it listed. Now, my opinion statement that it is close was based on the feel of the tire after it was reassembled and the fact it was 20 grams lighter, indicating to me it was less dense.
    Last edited by Racerbwr1; 08-02-2020 at 08:37 AM.

I never stated that It was extra firm compared to rc tire foam. I only stated how Joann has it listed. Now, my opinion statement that it is close was based on the feel of the tire after it was reassembled and the fact it was 20 grams lighter, indicating to me it was less dense.
    O.K. - Simple misunderstanding on my part.

I'm going to try the high density upholstery foam from Foamma.com and see if the foam reacts the way I want it to in the tires. It has a 100% recovery rate and a 44lb compression rate. I don't like being able to make the tire touch the rim just from resting my finger on it and that is exactly what happens with Traxxas foams.

This foam I'm gonna try is more like those ear plugs you squeeze and they return to their original shape after a couple of seconds. I don't care how much the tire weighs, I just want a truck that isn't riding on the edge of its rims all the time. That is the main reason Traxxas tires have the sidewall failure rate that they do, because the foams are next to non-existent in their tires and have a 15% recovery rate if that and no recovery rate when wet.

...I'm going to try the high density upholstery foam from Foamma.com and see if the foam reacts the way I want it to in the tires. It has a 100% recovery rate and a 44lb compression rate...
    Let us know how the foam works out and what type. Looked at their site and it looks like you can get foam already cut in circles. That would save a lot of cutting.

RC Competitor
    If you were willing to accept the extra weight, some of those memory foam mattress pads use some very high density foam.

https://www.amazon.com/24-Square-Foa...=fsclp_pl_dp_6

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Let us know how the foam works out and what type. Looked at their site and it looks like you can get foam already cut in circles. That would save a lot of cutting.
    I bought the 24x24 inch high density upholstery 4 inch thick foam.

https://www.foamma.com/product_in_details.php?prod=Mjc=

It is true that they do supply foam already cut in circles; however, cutting the foams yourself is more precise then trying to guess the plus/minus ratio of the overall diameter once stretched over the rims.

I already know from experience of cutting foams for my E-Maxx Brushless, that you just can't cut a foam circle precisely to the size of both diameters of the rim and inner tire and expect perfect results. Sometimes you have to add a 1/4 inch at a time to the overall diameter to get a good fit.

It is a trial and error deal the first couple of foams you cut because of a few different things. Firstly, the type of foam is the main thing. Upholstery foam is different than high density closed or open cell foams used in other applications.

Secondly, the return and compression rates are important because if the foam does not return to 100% of its size, then your compression rate is a useless number that means nothing.

Thirdly, you don't want a bouncy truck because of foams that don't conform to the unity of the tire/rim relationship.

For every 44lbs. of pressure on the foam I bought; at one square inch, I will have a compression of one inch. I figure there is at least a good inch or inch and a half between the tire carcass and inner rim, so I think my truck will be up to handling some pretty good jumps.

I've thought this through very carefully, and the upholstery foam is about the only foam I haven't tried yet in tires. All other foams were either too airy or too closed cell making it hard to stop the truck from that dreaded second bounce you sometimes get after even sticking a good landing.

I will be sure to chime in once I have tried them and give my overall assessment of how they performed.

RC poster
    I just blew another one....Brand new two days ago. I don't get it. I'm not pizza-cutter'ing or doing speed runs. I'm running around a 1/10 track in the back yard with stock (54/18?) gearing. Maybe I need to under-gear it to keep the wheels from spinning so fast.

Oh well, I guess i'm going to need to get one of these wire foam cutters and make my own. Maybe I'll make extras and throw 'em up on eBay to pay for it all. I'm sure I'm not the only one in need of foams.

I just blew another one....Brand new two days ago. I don't get it. I'm not pizza-cutter'ing or doing speed runs. I'm running around a 1/10 track in the back yard with stock (54/18?) gearing. Maybe I need to under-gear it to keep the wheels from spinning so fast.

Now that you mention this, I'm wondering if my foams are ripped or not in my X-Maxx tires. If I rest the truck on its tires, the weight of the truck nearly makes the rims contact the ground. I always store the X-Maxx with the tires off the ground in order to preserve the tires.

I'm going to start taking the stock tires off tomorrow that I have been running since March and have a look at the foams. I really expect them to be flat as a pancake and possibly ripped and bunched up in sections in the tires. I was going to hold off until I got the foam from Foamma, but I have been enjoying my Nitro T-Maxx 3.3 the last couple of weeks and the X-Maxx has been taking a back seat for a while.

Like you, my X-Maxx has never seen water and the vent holes are sealed up and I have never seen the tires do the pizza cutter thing like my E-Maxx Brushless or T-Maxx 3.3 Nitro do until just recently on my X-Maxx.

My X-Maxx tires have been doing it at less than half throttle on all four tires, and the only thing I can think of is the foams came apart in them and they have no sidewall pressure for the tire to retain its shape.

One time, I found the foams nearly disintegrated in my E-Maxx Brushless and have no idea why. The foams completely turned to like a saw dust type material.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-03-2020 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Fixed.

I bought the 24x24 inch high density upholstery 4 inch thick foam.

https://www.foamma.com/product_in_details.php?prod=Mjc=

It is true that they do supply foam already cut in circles; however, cutting the foams yourself is more precise then trying to guess the plus/minus ratio of the overall diameter once stretched over the rims.

I already know from experience of cutting foams for my E-Maxx Brushless, that you just can't cut a foam circle precisely to the size of both diameters of the rim and inner tire and expect perfect results. Sometimes you have to add a 1/4 inch at a time to the overall diameter to get a good fit.

It is a trial and error deal the first couple of foams you cut because of a few different things. Firstly, the type of foam is the main thing. Upholstery foam is different than high density closed or open cell foams used in other applications.

Secondly, the return and compression rates are important because if the foam does not return to 100% of its size, then your compression rate is a useless number that means nothing.

Thirdly, you don't want a bouncy truck because of foams that don't conform to the unity of the tire/rim relationship.

For every 44lbs. of pressure on the foam I bought; at one square inch, I will have a compression of one inch. I figure there is at least a good inch or inch and a half between the tire carcass and inner rim, so I think my truck will be up to handling some pretty good jumps.

I've thought this through very carefully, and the upholstery foam is about the only foam I haven't tried yet in tires. All other foams were either too airy or too closed cell making it hard to stop the truck from that dreaded second bounce you sometimes get after even sticking a good landing.

I will be sure to chime in once I have tried them and give my overall assessment of how they performed.
    Thanks for all this great info that I never even gave a thought to before.

I'm bad and just throw my cars on the shelfs. just recently learned about blocking the cars up so tires are not compressed whiles in storage. I've never noticed a issue but never looked for it either... I'll habe to keep a eye on things or then either remove tires. ( I think I'm to lazy for that) or readjust all my garage shelf spacing or make new homes for the fleet. Also to lazy or aka other projects to get to... Perhaps when I go through my work bench wall and reorg and toss stuff. As shelf adjustments means everything off the walls.... Oh so cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Thanks for all this great info that I never even gave a thought to before.
    You're Welcome!

I pre-heated the oven to 400°F and then turned it off. I then set one tire on a baking sheet in for 10 minutes and peeled one side. Pre-heated to 400°F again and turned off the oven. Set the tire in again for another ten minutes and was able to break the bead free on the other side of the tire without ruining the tire beads.

And here are some pictures as to why you should give some serious thought to buying real foams instead of or compared to the garbage Traxxas puts in the tires.

I found the foam had basically turned to powder and eroded the foam down to less than an inch wide. I mean, I was really taken aback by the fact that the width eroded as much as it did.

Hopefully the foam I'm going to use that has a 7~10 year expectancy is far better than the quality of foams that I have experienced Traxxas using in just the past couple of years. I can't believe they even dare call them foams because they disintegrate at a rapid rate.

RC Competitor
    You're Welcome!

I pre-heated the oven to 400°F and then turned it off. I then set one tire on a baking sheet in for 10 minutes and peeled one side. Pre-heated to 400°F again and turned off the oven. Set the tire in again for another ten minutes and was able to break the bead free on the other side of the tire without ruining the tire beads.

And here are some pictures as to why you should give some serious thought to buying real foams instead of or compared to the garbage Traxxas puts in the tires.

I found the foam had basically turned to powder and eroded the foam down to less than an inch wide. I mean, I was really taken aback by the fact that the width eroded as much as it did.

Hopefully the foam I'm going to use that has a 7~10 year expectancy is far better than the quality of foams that I have experienced Traxxas using in just the past couple of years. I can't believe they even dare call them foams because they disintegrate at a rapid rate.

https://i.imgur.com/T4jliei.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/g3DuJOK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eXCFlD2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gTpoxhC.jpg
    Wow! That is embarrassingly bad performance. How old are those?

RC poster
    Im a novice still but when I put holes in the tires I use a solder iron to poke holes. I initially used to use a drill but noticed that it would start grabbing the foam inserts too. Idk,just a thought,maybe im wrong but works so far for me

Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    Wow! That is embarrassingly bad performance. How old are those?
    From March of this year. So in fairness they are 5 months old; but however, you have to take into account I haven't run my X-Maxx more than a dozen times and the rear foams held up a little better than the fronts. I guess the ballooning of the front tires when they are off the ground from wheelies really has a serious effect on the foams.

I will start a new thread when I get my new foam material and document how long they last when a serious foam is used. I will document the install date and time and possibly try to keep track of how many runs are on the new foams for comparison purposes to stock.

@Acidic01

Your PM box is full brother!

I want to ask you something.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-05-2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Message for Acidic01

From March of this year. So in fairness they are 5 months old; but however, you have to take into account I haven't run my X-Maxx more than a dozen times and the rear foams held up a little better than the fronts. I guess the ballooning of the front tires when they are off the ground from wheelies really has a serious effect on the foams.

I will start a new thread when I get my new foam material and document how long they last when a serious foam is used. I will document the install date and time and possibly try to keep track of how many runs are on the new foams for comparison purposes to stock.

@Acidic01

Your PM box is full brother!

I want to ask you something.
    I wonder how my foam is doing as mine xmaxx is about 6 months old to me, but I've ran the crap out of it . Perhaps at some point I'll get to checking it.

Flux inbox cleaned up.

RC Competitor
    Do you suppose there's any chance some of that foam deterioration happened from the oven heat?

I have a few chunks of foam sitting here from an e-Revo wheel that self-destructed. I'm kind of tempted to toss some in the oven under similar circumstances and see if that degrades it any.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    Do you suppose there's any chance some of that foam deterioration happened from the oven heat?

I have a few chunks of foam sitting here from an e-Revo wheel that self-destructed. I'm kind of tempted to toss some in the oven under similar circumstances and see if that degrades it any.
    Similar circumstances would be a tire that hasn't self-destructed and is still glued to the rim. Besides, I have removed brand new tires from rims by the oven method and the foams didn't degrade at all. Remember, when you put a tire in the oven, the oven doesn't stay on, you turn it off after the temperature is reached and leave the tire in for ten to fifteen minutes.

Would the foams degrade on a baking sheet without being in a tire? Possibly, but the type of degradation (foams) I witnessed from removing my X-Maxx tires was caused by the abrasion factor of the foams rubbing on the tires because the foams are too small/under compression rated to begin with when Traxxas puts them in the tires and they are constantly stretching and rotating in the tire before they expand enough to stop spinning.

That constant cycle of spinning, expanding, and finally rubbing on the tire breaks them down quick. That is why when I mentioned that cutting foams yourself, you can control how snugly it fits in the tire to begin with by increasing the overall diameter by 1/4 inch increments until it fits way better than the piece of cotton candy they put in the tires.

By doing it yourself, you can eliminate that extra space in the tire with a better/stronger compression foam that won't allow the foam to start spinning in the tire, which as I pointed out, is why you get the powder/dust from the stock foams. I will be taping my tires as well when I detail how I install my new foams in another thread until I decide whether or not to start running my belted tires with the upgraded foams. But that will be another thread as well after I figure out how the stock tires handle the upgraded foams.