RC poster

Carbon Build up after break in procedure.

Hi guys, I have a quick question that I would like to find out. I recently just upgraded from a TRX 2.5 engine to a 3.3 because my 2.5 lost compression. The night i picked it up from my local hobby shop, I went straight to a parking lot to break it in. On my last minute on tank 5, I heard that the engine started to become muffled, so i instantly shut it off. I went home to let the motor cool off and tried to start it and the glow plug went bad so i decided to change it. When I pulled out the glow plug, it was black, so I took a flash light and looked inside the engine, and saw some carbon build up on the piston head, and cylinder wall.

Should I be concerned on the muffled sound and the Carbon Build up? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Jonathan

The carbon build up is probably normal. During break in of an engine it's run rich. Besides burning more fuel it's burning more oil with the fuel. It's not uncommon for a glow plug to go bad during the break in period also. It could just be the glow plug went bad and nothing to worry about. Try a new plug and see how it runs.

RC poster
    ok cool, I will continue to drive it and will let you know if I have any more concerns.

RC poster
    Ok another question.(Glow Plug talk) So yesterday I picked up my 3.3 engine and broke it in. I changed the glow plug beacuse the light on my starter was not lit up. Today, I drove for 2 full tanks and then the glow plug light turned off again.

So I spent 15 dollars to run it for 2 days?

If anyone knows a way for them to last longer I would appricate that.
    Last edited by Jonathan_159; 07-31-2020 at 05:54 PM.

How is the engine tune?
    Running lean can cause a glow plug to go bad. A leaking exhaust can cause lean issues. (exhaust coupler,fuel tank lid)
    You can also try OS plugs if you want. I use LC4 (med) for 30% nitro and LC3 (hot) for 20% nitro fuel.

I physically checked the glowplugs before I relied on the EZ-start wand lights. There could be a cut or damage to the blue wire.

RC poster
    The engine tune is great. (I think) It's screaming at full throttle while also pushing out some blue smoke. It also pops a wheelie when I tune it right and today it was. My muffler did pop off today and had to put it back on. I'll make sure it's tight and there are no leaks. I am running 20% fuel so ill try and LC3 plug. I do have an extra blue wire but then I put a new plug in and the light turned on so I know it's not the wire.
    Last edited by Jonathan_159; 07-31-2020 at 06:45 PM.

When changing glow plugs, going from one manufacturer to another make sure to check the engine tune. Especially going from one heat range to another as it will be different.

The concern I have is that the piston should not look black - it is running lean. It should have a light caramel color when the tune is good.
    The Super Derecho

I'm concerned about being lean also. Trying to get max power or tuning the needles for wheelie action is a quick way to run lean.

I'm hoping during break-in the carb setting were at the rich factory settings and not adjusted for performance.

RC poster
    The first glow plug I took out was black but when I looked in the motor, the top of the piston was( and still is) a caramel color.