RC Enthusiast

My First Nitro - T-Maxx 3.3?

I think I am ready =)

I would like to know if this nitro is one of the best nitro 4x4 trucks out there?

If so, what else do I need? If you had to pick the best first setup again... what would it be?

Thanks in advance!

RC Competitor
    Th tmaxx 3.3 is a very storng basher truck in my opinion. It can handle very high jumps. Of course if you land them. Even if the landing is off and it slams on a tire or the bumpers etc. it still dosnet break. When i had my tmaxx i always had spare plugs, rear shock tower, front bulkhead, front bumper and so on. I cant list all the parts. What do you mean by setup? Have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    I wanted to order this truck but I am uncertain as to what else I will need to order to hit the ground running.

What kind of controller?
    What kind of plugs?
    Best fuel?
    etc.

RC Competitor
    I used the traxxas 3232x plugs. I also used the older version tq3 controller. I strated with the traxxas top fuel but noticed a better performance with the blue thunder 20% fuel.

RC Competitor
    If you will be ordering from traxxas it comes with everything you need but you just need the fuel.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool cool... didn't realize it came with the controller.

In order for the apple iphone hud display app to work, what hardware do i need to buy/install on the truck?

RC Competitor
    Not sure. Never had the display app. maybe some one else can help you.

I prefer the Revo over the T-Maxx but to each their own.

Download the manual and exploded views using the Support button above. The radio comes with it. Purchase Traxxas fuel or whatever land-based 20% your LHS has. Buy a couple extra Traxxas plugs that come with the truck - I forget the number right now. If you have a charger, get a rechargeable receiver pack so that you are not going through AA batteries all the time.

In all reality, the only difference between nitro and electric is how the vehicle is powered - engine, clutch, fuel tank and exhaust. Just be aware that there is a steep learning curve to getting nitro to run right. Read the manual and watch Traxxas's videos on breaking in the engine. Then have fun.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    If i were to start over i would buy the revo 3.3. It looks better and the setup of the truck itself is easier to work on.

RC poster
    I think the Revo 3.3 is a better choice for a few reasons and one of them is that it has the telemetry sensors pre-installed. and will help tuning your first Nitro.

RC Enthusiast
    Just looked over the Revo 3.3.... It does look like a simpler design than the T-Maxx. From my understanding, working on them is big part of it. So a easier to work on, works for me.

btw, looking forward to the learning curve =)

Quote Originally Posted by jfobel View Post
    Just looked over the Revo 3.3.... It does look like a simpler design than the T-Maxx. From my understanding, working on them is big part of it. So a easier to work on, works for me.

btw, looking forward to the learning curve =)
    Working on them is about the same. Both are a bit of a pain to get at the diffs. Would be awesome if traxxas revamped the nitro revo to be like the latest brushless revo. Tougher driveline, easier to access the diffs, but really, as tough as they seem to be for me, don't really need the access now. lol!

The one thing the t-maxx has over the revo is the standard shocks. You can get creative and use 1/8th buggy shocks to toughen it up a bit. With the revo, your very limited in that regard. Can be tough to find a setup that works best for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I felt the Revo held up better than the T-Maxx. With the T-Maxx I needed to upgrade the plastic bulkheads. Anytime I hit something them seemed always to break.

Either one is still fun!