RC poster

Stripped Rear Pinion Gear (8977)

So, my Maxx just stripped its rear drive-line pinion gear for the third time since purchase last March, and I'm at loss. At this point I've become acutely aware of the different noises the Maxx makes when it breaks and what they mean. And I dread the crunch that accompanies this failure. The TRA8977 comes as a $15 set with this gear and a replacement diff ring. After every break, I examine the diff gear and its still pristine. So, I'm amassing quite a collection of unused rear ring gears.

Was wondering if anyone else is having issues with this component and how they're dealing with it. I've already tried running with little to no grease as well as packing in an irresponsible amount, but stripped gears still occur. I've finally gone ahead with the purchase of a hardened aftermarket part, but, as it's sourced in Hong Kong, it'll be a minute before I lay eyes on it for sure. I'll update this post it they work out.

https://i.imgur.com/F0FYUwb.jpeg
    Last edited by Bdooliss; 07-31-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added pic

RC poster
    I have had this problem too, on my third rear pinion gear, its so expensive cause they only sell it with the differential gear like u said. I feel, as strong as the Maxx is, the gears cannot handle the upgraded components (widemaxx + steel driveshaft upgrade). I wonder if they will ever make third party gears for it, prob not.

RC Racer
    Unfortunately all rc stuff is powdered metal. GPM makes a set but it's almost 3x the price.

If you're using the auto flip thing, I would stop to be on the safe side. Are you using larger tires?

RC Enthusiast
    After a couple instances of this I would replace the diff ring gear as well in case there is a slight flaw causing stress on the pinion. Plus itís free with purchase of a $15 driveline pinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk