RC poster

Throttle hung wide open on idle. Radio issue? Can you adjust throttle?

Hey guys! So I fixed up my nitro jato recently. At that time I had the original top qualifier radio. After I had the initial run (and the car lost signal with older traxxas radio, I went ahead and exchanged it for the upgraded tq 2.4 radio. So far just by testing the servos (with the car not started) I dont lose signal and the servos work great.

Is there a way to adjust the throttle trim on this type of radio? All I see is steering... my rc on startup is like it's being held wide open. The brake stops it. But I have to start it on a stand so it doesnt get away. Lol

The other day when we initially got the car running it started and the idle screw was set so it would just sit and not take off on idle. The screw is still in the same position.

RC poster
    Also forgot to mention i have the older traxxas controller that is 2.4ghz and has the red button on the side of it. Do they not have throttle trim?

I'm not sure what Transmitter you have, but some of the TQ transmitters only had steering trim.

You might (should) be able to adjust the linkage (brake and throttle) to work correctly instead of needing to use a transmitter throttle trim.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I'm not sure what Transmitter you have, but some of the TQ transmitters only had steering trim.

You might (should) be able to adjust the linkage (brake and throttle) to work correctly instead of needing to use a transmitter throttle trim.
    I'm not 100% sure what model it is. But I did notice, I screwed the idle needle counter clockwise a good bit. And when I hit the throttle (with just the radio and receiver on) the carb opens up all the way, when I let off the carb closes half way, I have to hit the reverse on the radio and then it closes further. So something is messed up and maybe stuck?

What would cause the carb to not close all the way unless I hit reverse?

What Tx do you have? Does it have the 70/30 or the 60/40 switch on it? If yes, click it back to 50/50.

I hope it is as simple as that for you.

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Colton View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what model it is. But I did notice, I screwed the idle needle counter clockwise a good bit. And when I hit the throttle (with just the radio and receiver on) the carb opens up all the way, when I let off the carb closes half way, I have to hit the reverse on the radio and then it closes further. So something is messed up and maybe stuck?

What would cause the carb to not close all the way unless I hit reverse?
    The new servo neutral is not the same as the old radio neutral
    You would need to readjust the linkages for the new "neutral" position of the servo. Because you can't adjust with the radio you need to adjust the linkages. Try to install the servo horn as close as you can as shown in the picture. (with the radio on). You might need to move the servo horn one direction a tooth or two.

With the radio on and in "neutral", loosen up the collar and tighten it back down with a small gap where the red arrow is pointing. Also readjust the brake if needed.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    You would need to readjust the linkages for the new "neutral" position of the servo. Because you can't adjust with the radio you need to adjust the linkages. Try to install the servo horn as close as you can as shown in the picture. (with the radio on). You might need to move the servo horn one direction a tooth or two.

With the radio on and in "neutral", loosen up the collar and tighten it back down with a small gap where the red arrow is pointing. Also readjust the brake if needed.

It was a mix of a few things. The linkage, and the spring for the throttle servo wasnt attached so it kept the throttle hung open. I went ahead and fixed those things and the idle, hsn and lsn and it works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by Colton View Post
    It was a mix of a few things. The linkage, and the spring for the throttle servo wasnt attached so it kept the throttle hung open. I went ahead and fixed those things and the idle, hsn and lsn and it works like a charm!
    Glad it's working.

Good job!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Thanks guys! You've all been a big help! Learning more about these things.