Thread: 3906 Upgrades

RC poster

3906 Upgrades

Hello,

I've decided to get my old 1st Gen E-Maxx running again. Does anyone know where to pick up some upgrades for the 3906? Specifically upgraded center drive shafts?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

I’m no help here, but I will watch this thread because I still have my mostly stock OG 3906 and will eventually get it somewhat modernized.

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Iím no help here, but I will watch this thread because I still have my mostly stock OG 3906 and will eventually get it somewhat modernized.

Good luck and have fun!
    I was here when I first got it, but I can't remember my login info. Easier to start over. I may have to get the "tougher" stock parts since it's hard to find parts for them. I may do some other home brewed upgrades too.

Traxxas Marshal
    How old is your 3906? Is it an original with the Traxxas ESC, or does it have the Novak EVX? Does it have the Wide Maxx suspension arms, or the original narrow arms?

That said, I know MIP used to make center drive shafts for the 3906; I have a set on mine. If you do some digging here, I'm sure you can find old part numbers to aid in your search. You could also always get a set of stock shafts to get your truck running in the mean time.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Narrow arms, but the Traxxas branded EVX. I might get the RPM suspension arms and convert it to wide Maxx and get rid of the rear tie rods.

I am considering getting the "heavy duty" Traxxas center shafts. I'll have to upgrade from my CVDs if I swap to the wider RPM arms though.

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-07-2020 at 12:57 AM. Reason: merge

My OG E-Maxx Wide still has it's original orange ESC with purple heatsink fins on it.

Currently has a black front bumper

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...r-Introduction

I should update/upgrade it one of these days... nothing crazy. Just want it functional again.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by smccloud View Post
    Narrow arms, but the Traxxas branded EVX. I might get the RPM suspension arms and convert it to wide Maxx and get rid of the rear tie rods.

I am considering getting the "heavy duty" Traxxas center shafts. I'll have to upgrade from my CVDs if I swap to the wider RPM arms though.

Ah, your E-Maxx is similar to mine! I ordered my E-Maxx RIGHT when they got recalled for a faulty ESC, so I had to wait several months to get mine (and pay more money because the price went up with the Novak ESC!).

The newer trucks use different length front and rear center drive shafts, so be aware of that; I'm not sure how they'd work on an older E-Maxx or what mods would be required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    My OG E-Maxx Wide still has it's original orange ESC with purple heatsink fins on it.

I should update/upgrade it one of these days... nothing crazy. Just want it functional again.
    A nice, classic look. I've always been more partial to the 3906 chassis, though, so I'm biased!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Ah, your E-Maxx is similar to mine! I ordered my E-Maxx RIGHT when they got recalled for a faulty ESC, so I had to wait several months to get mine (and pay more money because the price went up with the Novak ESC!).

The newer trucks use different length front and rear center drive shafts, so be aware of that; I'm not sure how they'd work on an older E-Maxx or what mods would be required.A nice, classic look. I've always been more partial to the 3906 chassis, though, so I'm biased!
    You can still find the heavy duty shafts for the OG E-Maxx. I just hate putting them together....

Here is the current parts list I have going for upgrades. I will hate losing my CVDs, but oh well.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Almost starting to think it will be cheaper to get a new Maxx or E-Revo rather than upgrade my current E-Maxx
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-16-2020 at 01:20 AM. Reason: merge

Traxxas Marshal
    That's how it goes sometimes. You have to decide if upgrading is worth the cost and fun or if starting fresh with a bone stock rig is better. Personally, I prefer the upgrade route, but that's just me. A big part of this hobby was the tinkering/building aspect, so I'd prefer upgrading an old truck to buying a new one.