Thread: Spur gear help

RC Racer

Spur gear help

Hows everyone doing?

Where do I start. I have a great struggle with spur gears. I stripped a spur gear before I even got to take it out a brand new one. I know I'm messing up pretty bad with gear mesh, how many did yall mess up before you got it right?

and slipper clutch what is a good adjustment for the spring, and my slipper pads does it look worn? I dont know what a worn pad looks like yet.

Can some of yall link me to some good videos of how the gear mesh should be set. The paper method works for me but people on YouTube say there's other methods I stripped spur gears before doing the paper method.

I don't know what to believe, spur gears are my biggest weakness when it comes to Rc's, if I put this new spur gear in it will probably strip due to my lack of knowledge and I'm trying to avoid that to happen dozens more times

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Basically, when you have the mesh right, you can run a little strip of paper through without tearing the paper but crinkling it real good. You want to do that at a few different spots around the spur, as they are sometimes out of round a touch.

Are you lubing the spur/pinion?
    If so, with what?

Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    Hows everyone doing?

Where do I start. I have a great struggle with spur gears. I stripped a spur gear before I even got to take it out a brand new one. I know I'm messing up pretty bad with gear mesh, how many did yall mess up before you got it right?

and slipper clutch what is a good adjustment for the spring, and my slipper pads does it look worn? I dont know what a worn pad looks like yet.

Can some of yall link me to some good videos of how the gear mesh should be set. The paper method works for me but people on YouTube say there's other methods I stripped spur gears before doing the paper method.

I don't know what to believe, spur gears are my biggest weakness when it comes to Rc's, if I put this new spur gear in it will probably strip due to my lack of knowledge and I'm trying to avoid that to happen dozens more times

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

I was having a hard time with spur gears for a while too. Got to a point where i wish i wouldve never touched the gearing to begin with.

All i did was i bought the fixed adapter kit that traxxas sells and I havent had a single issue. Its fairly cheap too i cant remember how much exactly.

EDIT: I was getting it close just by seeing how much play was there between the gears. You should be able to move the plastic gear just a tiny bit in either direction. I mean literally a half of a millimeter or less.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Calebs0615; 08-01-2020 at 10:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    Basically, when you have the mesh right, you can run a little strip of paper through without tearing the paper but crinkling it real good. You want to do that at a few different spots around the spur, as they are sometimes out of round a touch.

Are you lubing the spur/pinion?
    If so, with what?
    Thank you when I run it though sometimes it crinkles it somewhat then a few runs later I get a really good one. Lube? I never heard of lube for a spur gear please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I was having a hard time with spur gears for a while too. Got to a point where i wish i wouldve never touched the gearing to begin with.

All i did was i bought the fixed adapter kit that traxxas sells and I havent had a single issue. Its fairly cheap too i cant remember how much exactly.

EDIT: I was getting it close just by seeing how much play was there between the gears. You should be able to move the plastic gear just a tiny bit in either direction. I mean literally a half of a millimeter or less.

Thank you I'm getting to that point of ultimate frustration with these spurs. Im gonna have to look into that fixed adapter kit, I feel like that might help me. As I could also observe how it meshes together so I know how it should look without a adapter

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-02-2020 at 02:52 AM. Reason: merge

Traxxas Marshal
    Lube? I never heard of lube for a spur gear please enlighten me.
    You don't have to lubricate the spur and pinion gears.

Setting the gear mesh is just one of those things; it just takes practice. The paper method generally works well, but can vary depending on the thickness of the paper. If you're using cheap, thin paper, you may have to fold it a time or two. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to set your gear mesh by feel alone. You're looking for just a tiny bit of play between the two gears.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    You don't have to lubricate the spur and pinion gears.

Setting the gear mesh is just one of those things; it just takes practice. The paper method generally works well, but can vary depending on the thickness of the paper. If you're using cheap, thin paper, you may have to fold it a time or two. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to set your gear mesh by feel alone. You're looking for just a tiny bit of play between the two gears.
    I think most people just don’t set it tight enough to really crinkle that paper good.
    Just to the point of stretching/almost tearing it. Use std copy paper/note paper.
    I basically jam the gears together by hand, snug up the motor screws and run the paper through to check.
    If it’s all good at 3 spots around the spur, I tighten the motor.

Lube not required for the spur, but I do put just a few drops of shock oil on mine.
    I asked the question to see if grease was being used, which is a big no-no!

Another thing to consider is the wear on the pinion.
    If the pinion cog face angles are worn, they won’t mesh well with the new spur and can blow it out quickly. Also the pinion cogs may be rough or grooved.
    If I blow a spur quickly after a change, I now automatically change out the pinion too.

I would also check the top shaft for slop. How are the bearings.
    Lastly, hows the clutch? Too loose or oily can cause excessive spinning.
    Too much spinning of the clutch or overheating bearings can warp the trans case at the top shaft bearing holder. Play in the top shaft can be a big factor in spur gear failure.

RC Racer
    Is this right? I have a semi firm grip on the spur gear and moving it in each direction, I have two straps of loose leafed paper I tested folded two times, and a video linked https://youtu.be/uqRVM6HeR_Y

RC Qualifier
    Way too loose.

RC Racer
    Way too loose.
    Too tight now ? https://youtu.be/J3KL0uw0qgs

RC Qualifier
    Still too loose.
    You want just a few thousandths of an inch of play. Most paper is around .003-.005.
    The paper should come out heavily crinkled, even stretched to the verge of tearing...

Another way to do it is put the paper in between first and then squish it tight between the gears.
    Tighten the motor, run the paper out and recheck with another strip.

RC Qualifier
    I had a rear end right here so I pulled the cover and paper checked it.
    My old worn gears with sloppy bearings on the shaft and motor, crinkled the paper more than you..
    Your paper looks just wavy. You want a nice crisp corner on your crinkles.
    Don’t double up your paper. One should be thick enough
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 08-02-2020 at 12:30 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Switch to 32p and never worry again

Buy a erevo spur gear and get the t maxx pinions they are 1/8 shaft and 32p
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-04-2020 at 02:11 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    Buy a erevo spur gear and get the t maxx pinions they are 1/8 shaft and 32p
    So what your saying is the combination your suggesting has a better mesh and gets you close to the same performance as long as you go with the same gearing?

Still too loose.
    You want just a few thousandths of an inch of play. Most paper is around .003-.005.
    The paper should come out heavily crinkled, even stretched to the verge of tearing...

Another way to do it is put the paper in between first and then squish it tight between the gears.
    Tighten the motor, run the paper out and recheck with another strip.
    That makes much more sense I thought it had to be double folded for some reason for thickness because it loose leaf but I guess its fine I update when I get this super tight pinon off that didn't even wanna stay on in the first place lol.

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-04-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    The way I set gear mesh with paper is I place the paper between the gears before I move the motor into place. Press very firmly and tighten the motor down, then rotate the gears to remove the paper. You should see perfect imprints of the gear teeth in the paper. Lined notebook paper is a bit too thin, I use normal copy paper most of the time. Been doing it this way for years, but like others have said, practice is the best way of learning anything. I have a spare Traxxas fixed gear spacer that I recently took off my Slash when I upgraded my motor and pinion.

Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    The way I set gear mesh with paper is I place the paper between the gears before I move the motor into place. Press very firmly and tighten the motor down, then rotate the gears to remove the paper. You should see perfect imprints of the gear teeth in the paper. Lined notebook paper is a bit too thin, I use normal copy paper most of the time. Been doing it this way for years, but like others have said, practice is the best way of learning anything. I have a spare Traxxas fixed gear spacer that I recently took off my Slash when I upgraded my motor and pinion.
    This is how you should do it if you dont have fixed adapters. This will work perfect. Use lined notebook paper. Perfect.

RC Racer
    Looks about right? When I put it in it sounded and felt like the paper was gonna tear possibly rip.
    and this is copy paper

Don't get hung up on how the paper looks. A good gear mesh is to get them the closest together with only the smallest amount of play. Use the notebook paper as it's thinner than copier paper. Put a piece between the gears and push them together and tighten the motor. Then check the gear play or mesh a couple different places around the spur gear. If you check and there isn't a tight spot, your good.

I don't use paper myself when setting gear mesh. Using your video in post #9 where you rock the spur gear back and forth. I adjust my gears where that back and forth motion is the smallest I can get it. The least amount you can make it the better the gear meshing. All you need to have is a very small amount of play. If I check it and there is a tight spot, I readjust and check again.

You can even use the receipt paper from a store. That's even thinner, helping to get that tighter gear mesh.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-03-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: cash register receipt paper

Looks about right? When I put it in it sounded and felt like the paper was gonna tear possibly rip.
    and this is copy paper

Seems to thick still... Just use a notebook. A lined piece of paper. Not card stock. Not construction paper. Lined notebook paper. Thats what you need.

RC Racer
    Thank you everybody I'm just gonna stick with practice. I took out the slash no stripped gears so far.

Thank you everybody I'm just gonna stick with practice. I took out the slash no stripped gears so far.

Sometimes if it's just barely right, itll take a little bit for it to strip but it will nonetheless. Id buy the adapters. Makes it so easy.

RC Racer
    Sometimes if it's just barely right, itll take a little bit for it to strip but it will nonetheless. Id buy the adapters. Makes it so easy.

Yes considering the adapters will make it easier. I also feel like I should learn the hard way knowing this is one of the main parts that should be learned proficiently as it what makes the whole rc go. I don't like taking the easy way out alot of times. I want to be knowledgeable.

Yes considering the adapters will make it easier. I also feel like I should learn the hard way knowing this is one of the main parts that should be learned proficiently as it what makes the whole rc go. I don't like taking the easy way out alot of times. I want to be knowledgeable.

Yeah well i mean your not wrong. Its good to learn that way but i got sick of buying spur gears so i just bought the adapters. Its hard to get it perfect by eyeballing.

RC Qualifier
    I've never seen these adapters, does anyone have a part #?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I've never seen these adapters, does anyone have a part #?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/3790

Yeah well i mean your not wrong. Its good to learn that way but i got sick of buying spur gears so i just bought the adapters. Its hard to get it perfect by eyeballing.

I used a magnifying glass to see how close it was. If it becomes too much of issue I just buy the adapter. As it is cheap what I did was I squeezed the gears really tight by hand then tightened it with my other hand

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-07-2020 at 01:37 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    If it becomes too much of issue I just buy the adapter.
    Ive got a spare I can send you if you want it, I cant use it with my current gearing or motor combo. And the price would be "affordable" This way using the adapter, you can see how it's actually supposed to be, then take it out and try it yourself. Learning by example.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Ive got a spare I can send you if you want it, I cant use it with my current gearing or motor combo. And the price would be "affordable" This way using the adapter, you can see how it's actually supposed to be, then take it out and try it yourself. Learning by example.
    I get what your saying It would teach me the concept. Do you have the 5 adapters like traxxas sells for 4.50 or is it one adapter I'd feel bad you paying for shipping. I can send you back the shipping money however much you paid if you were to do that and I see you are in Florida too. I'm in Palm Beach.

RC Racer
    Its just a single one that came out of my new 2wd unit. I bought it in March, upgraded to brushless with a 5mm motor shaft, which caused me to buy a different pinion. I ended up going with 20/86 gearing for now. This adapter that I took out was used with the factory stock 19/90 that comes on the truck RTR.

And dont worry about the shipping price. Going down to PBeach, couldnt cost more than a buck to stick it in an envelope.