RC Qualifier

EX Peak plus 6 amp charger question

I have the EX peak plus 6 amp charger and it seems to have two power input options. It has the standard 120V 3 prong house plug and then it also has two wires (red and black) with alligator clips. I am guessing this is for charging off a 12V battery in the field. So how do I charge it "in the field" while driving my van? I have cigarette lighter receptacles wired and rated for 5 amps. I usually charge 3S at 3amp/hr.

Can I get a cigarette lighter plug for something, snip it off, and wire it to the wires going to the alligator clips? Thoughts on other options?

RC Qualifier
    I believe they recommed powering the charger off the battery only while the vehicle is not running. Plus charging the batteries inside the car while you are driving is probably not a good idea anyway.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I believe they recommed powering the charger off the battery only while the vehicle is not running. Plus charging the batteries inside the car while you are driving is probably not a good idea anyway.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
    Opps, of course this is the EZ Peak charger by Traxxas, not EX.

Anyway, yeah, good point. Well, we would be camping and the aux battery is disconnected from the motor/alt when parked so I could do it wile boondocking and not driving. None the less I need a way to hook up. I guess I could use the clips and tap directly off the remote fuse block but that requires squirming around and removing the plastic cover. i have a easily accessible cigarette power source I'd like to use - if it's possible.

You could try the cigarette lighter plug. Most automotive 12v power points are fused at 15amps (along with the heavier rated wiring). If the charger needs more than that, I would think that 15amp fuse would blow first. Then you would need to hook it directly to a battery if that's the case.

A 5amp cigarette lighter power point might or might not work. You could try it. If the charger draws too much that's why it's fused.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-02-2020 at 09:15 AM.