RC poster

Slash Ultimate 4x4 Temp Issues?

Hi everyone, new to the hobby and the forum. I just picked up my Slash 4x4 Ultimate yesterday and have played with around the house twice. Both times I've ended up with temp related shut downs (fast red blinking light on the ESC). In the Traxxas Link App, the temp gets up to 170 - 190 and the motor stops and get the flashing light. I'm running the 4000 mAH 3s battery that comes with the EZ Peak charger. Even running in "training" mode, I'm having the temp issues after a little while and am not running wide open either. Granted it's hot down here in GA, but is this "normal"? Are there solutions? Would a 2S battery be better? Is this just more of a fall sport around here? Any help would be appreciated.

RC Racer
    Get a cooling fan. It helps a lot. Also, gear down a bit (11-tooth pinion?) and maybe be careful with the throttle

RC poster
    Thanks, is the Traxxas fan the way to go, or is there a better option. I haven't changed the gearing, but noticed I hit 51MPH which seems high for what I thought was the stock gearing given that I didn't have a lot of room to let it build speed. Is the optional gear that comes with the ultimate the higher or lower gear?

RC Racer
    It’s the higher gear. And I think the traxxas fan is the only option. I haven’t seen any other option

RC Racer
    Stick with the stock gear for most things. The optional gear is for speed runs but not stop/starts.

As for fans, there are are options out there for both the esc and motor. For the esc, just search for "vxl-3s fan" and you will see a number of different options. You can also go with the traxxas brand one. The esc fan plugs directly into the esc.

For the motor fan, you can use most any that fit a 540 size can/motor. This will plug directly into a spare channel on the receiver. You may want to pick up some silicon grease too so that you can reseal the wires when you take the cover off of the receiver.

Depending on which motor fan you get, you may need to rearrange the motor sensor and wires. The motor can actually be rotated on the motor plate because there are four screw holes on the motor and two on the motor plate, rotate 90 degrees and screw back in. If you do this, make sure to read the manual on how to reset the gear mesh (ie the spacing between the pinion gear on the motor and the center driveshaft gear.

With decent fans and running hard, you can expect the fans to keep your esc cool and the motor around 150-170 depending on how hot it is outside. I am in Texas and my motor gets up to the 170s when running full throttle bashing but I have never had it overheat. I suspect mine gets hotter also because I have a chassis shroud to keep out grass/rocks.

Hope this helps.

RC Racer
    Also, do not get the Integy heatsink/fans. The fans fail, and you can save money by buying something else, like yeah racing

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Also, do not get the Integy heatsink/fans. The fans fail, and you can save money by buying something else, like yeah racing
    Integy fans are awful. Hotracing sells some decent ones and amainhobbies sells individual fans i do believe. Just need to know your dimensions.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    So... I ended up contacting Traxxas support, as I was hitting close to 180 with light driving in 10-15 minutes in training mode. They had me pull the motor and run it with not resistance. Even with no resistance, and indoors with an ambient temp of ~74, it heated up to 170+ in less than 10 minutes of playing with the throttle. So... Motor and ESC are out and going back to Traxxas for a replacement. Not how I wanted things to start with a new toy and a new hobby, but if it fixes the issue and doesn't take too long I'll be satisfied.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

RC Racer
    Good to know that you found the problem

Quote Originally Posted by MAKDaddy View Post
    So... I ended up contacting Traxxas support, as I was hitting close to 180 with light driving in 10-15 minutes in training mode. They had me pull the motor and run it with not resistance. Even with no resistance, and indoors with an ambient temp of ~74, it heated up to 170+ in less than 10 minutes of playing with the throttle. So... Motor and ESC are out and going back to Traxxas for a replacement. Not how I wanted things to start with a new toy and a new hobby, but if it fixes the issue and doesn't take too long I'll be satisfied.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
    That should fix ypur problem. Dont get discouraged, that doesnt happen very often.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Traxxas Marshal
    Yeah, as with anything problems will occur every now and then. The good news is that Traxxas has some of the best customer support in the business, as you're finding out. Hope you can get your truck back on the road again soon!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Yeah Racing makes excellent fans! They move a lot of air and keep things cool. If you buy these before you get your motor system back from Traxxas you will be good to go

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!