RC Competitor

T-Maxx to Electric

Just looking for some opinions not a debate but i'm converting my T maxx to electric and i'm thinking about going with a vxl3s combo or maybe a hobby wing ezrun max6 or 8. I'm a little confused on what gear ratio to go with, O see robinson offers a hardened steel spur that is 64 tooth but i'm not sure if it would be best with a 23 tooth pinion or something different? I just don't want to deal with heat issues i want something that has some speed but low thermal conditions, can someone school me on this? I would appreciate any advice thank you.

Forget the vxl3s. Its designed for a much lighter 1/10 truck.

I run a hobbywing ezrun wpsc8 in my Maxx and am happy in every aspect. Its rated to 4s max though. Not a problem if you already run 2s batteries in all your other vehicles like i do. With the right motor you could be just as fast on 4s as you would be on 6s and break just as many parts too

To give you some perspective, im running a 2000kv motor geared at 21/74. My motor temps are never more than 140F and i have the esc turned all the way down with 0 timing advance and punch control set to its softest setting. This gives me a top speed of about 35mph, which is more than enough for my bashing needs.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Competitor
    I'm using an e-maxx tranny from a 3906 with upgraded gears and the new style slipper clutch. Currently geared 18/72 but I'm changing it to 20/68 soon. It'll pull a wheelie from half throttle right now in 2nd gear.

*The referenced website and its brand names are banned from being mentioned here in the forums. Do not reference or name them in the future.
    Last edited by Double G; 03-08-2016 at 08:42 AM.
    X-Maxx/TRX4/Rustler/Stampede

RC Competitor
    Yeah i see the hw ezrun wpsc8 combo that is not a bad price but the motor has a mid range kv so i guess i will just look at some different combos i want to stay around 40-45mph nothing to extreme.

RC Competitor
    Capflya i will look into that as well thank you.

RC Competitor
    What do you guys think of the wpsc8 power combo? the only thing I don't like is the kv rating does 3400 seem a bit high?

Well yes 3400kv is i bit higher than most systems but it might work with the right gearing. Hopefully somebody here has tried it already and will chime in.

You can always get the esc only and find a seperate motor. Thats what i did. You can find Team Orion Vortex motors on ebay for $60. 4 pole 2000kv 8th scale sensorless motors.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

You want torque to move the truck around so go with a lower kv rating of around 2200. 3400kv is like putting a small 4-cylinder VTEC engine in a 3/4 ton pickup.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I found this guy and he is running this setup what do you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9hduTP7dnQ

Im sure its doable but it def isnt ideal. You would may be very limited with your choice of gearing.

You can try it and it might work fine. But if your gonna spend the money, why not go with something that is proven to work?

Another important factor is the tranny you plan on using as different trannies will have different reduction ratios.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Competitor
    I'm probably going to go with what you said buy a ezrunwpsc8 and find a motor i may buy the ezrun 2200kv but i'm still shopping around do you think a 72t spur and a 17t pinion would be a decent combo to run? I'm wanting to put the upgraded tmaxx spur on it and then maybe later change to a steel gear.

RC Competitor
    I've decided to go with the quickrun 8bl150, quicrun 4074 motor.

RC Competitor

sorry guys did not know my pics were not up.

Last edited by Double G; 03-28-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: merge

Cool! I was looking at the E-Maxx sometime lol looks like a awesome basher.

Cool! I was looking at the E-Maxx sometime lol looks like a awesome basher.

RC Competitor
    Have not had a chance to road test it yet but it feels like it is going to be a great power plant.

Looks great and VERY clean build. My concern is the motor is too small for the weight of the T-Maxx especially with those tires on it...I hope I'm wrong.
    "RED"

Yeah what kinda motor is that?

Specs please!
    10 RCs and counting 😅

Merged the threads. It does not look like the Hobby Wing, but rather the Traxxas VXL-3s. If so, I'm with Red and mention again that the motor is too small to push this truck around. The 6s would be able to do it no problem.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Yes it is the vxl-3s 3500kv i got a great rock bottom deal on it since i was on a budget and it does just fine, people always say the same thing but it runs great. I was looking at a hobby wing setup but i got a better deal on this. I will admit these tires are a bit big but i got a great deal on them too. I didn't want to put a lot of power into it and ruin the drive train since this is a 2nd gen t-maxx, and i didn't want to put my bank into the drive line so i'm happy with it.

Sweet im happy it worked out! Let us know how it performs in the longrun.

The trick is to gear it really low and be happy with less top speed and acceleration. And def watch your temps closely.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC Competitor
    Thanks MaXXL i'm probably going to switch wheels and tires soon but right now i'm running a 64t spur rr and a 20t pinion rr so far it has the best of both worlds but i will post when i can about long term.

RC Competitor
    Yeah i'm switching tires. I'm going to keep the geode wheels but i'm going to go with the tra5171.

RC Competitor
    Ok finally complete and i have to say wow i'm impressed the little velineon vxl-3s pulls the t maxx really well and it does not run hot, It wheelies like no other and has great top speed. I didn't run a full pack through it but i gave it for at least 5 min, so if anyone is doing this conversion the velineon vxl-3s 3500kv does really good and will not destroy the drive line like the 2000 kv motors will.

my setup is RR 64 spur, RR 20t pinion, running 3s venom lipo, velineon vxl-3s w/ cooling fan, forward only kit, one speed conversion.
    Last edited by Double G; 04-06-2016 at 07:18 AM.

And on the other hand, this has been attempted many times in the last few years, with a grand total of ?none? of the owners staying with that setup. MaXXL suggested something that I'll put a different way: the key is to not expect much. The motor is not a good choice for this application. I'm not wishing you ill or trying to bring you down, but you are walking on a knife-edge with that thing, meaning there is a very small margin of safety.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Competitor
    I appreciate your opinion but for now it seems fine if at anytime it acts up I will post up here to let people know.

RC Competitor
    Well further testing and i love it! I don't know what others are expecting out of it but it performs just fine, motor temps are just fine, plenty of power for my needs. I just think other people want more and more power out of there model and that is just fine for them. I have talked to several people online that really love this setup, everyone is entitled to there opinion i'm just stating that it works just fine for me.

RC Qualifier
    This is an old thread but how long and well did this setup work for you?

I am teetering on a new motor for my 1999 Tmaxx .15 or doing the electric conversion. My stampede has this motor combo and was thinking of putting this in the Tmaxx.
    My stampede is built enough to handle more power so I might upgrade that with a new motor and esc.
    This will give me time to build up the driveline on the Tmaxx and them can move the VXL to my 2wd Slash.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The likelihood that he will answer is small as he hasn’t been here since Nov 2018. He is the only one that I remember who put the VXL in his T-Maxx and reportedly didn’t have heat issues. Many report heat issues in their Rustler 4x4 or Slash 4x4 on 3s and they weigh three pounds less and spin smaller tires. Personally if I were to convert I would put in a 2200kv motor.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The likelihood that he will answer is small as he hasnít been here since Nov 2018. He is the only one that I remember who put the VXL in his T-Maxx and reportedly didnít have heat issues. Many report heat issues in their Rustler 4x4 or Slash 4x4 on 3s and they weigh three pounds less and spin smaller tires. Personally if I were to convert I would put in a 2200kv motor.
    Thank you for the heads up! I figured. Where would be the best spot to post a new thread. I found a website for good mounts, but need some help picking a good motor and esc combo for $150 to 200. Also selecting a good pinion and spur setup. I upgraded to a slipper clutch already. Have reverse delete and ordering single speed gear. I plan to upgrade driveline parts with MIP, and will upgrade the diffs and get rpm arms.
    Thanks again!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    The likelihood that he will answer is small as he hasnít been here since Nov 2018. He is the only one that I remember who put the VXL in his T-Maxx and reportedly didnít have heat issues. Many report heat issues in their Rustler 4x4 or Slash 4x4 on 3s and they weigh three pounds less and spin smaller tires. Personally if I were to convert I would put in a 2200kv motor.
    I also agree. My brother in law runs his slash with 3S and always overheats. I only use 2s in my Stampede no issues.