RC poster

Servo question for T-Maxx

Hi all,
    I have a T-maxx Model 4910 that has not been used in quite a while (over a year). I cleaned it up and started it recently (fired right up) with new AA batts., but the servos were sluggish. The truck ran fine for a few minutes then got a mind of its own...LOL. Took off full throttle, I had no radio control. Luckily, it's complete demise was saved by a fluffy cedar tree. Short story long, I want to just replace the servos and start fresh. I'm not a racer, just do this for the fun. I figured to just replace with the stock servos (2-2018, 1-2055). I called Traxxas to ask if I could just replace all three with the 2055's (since I found a pretty good deal on 6 of them and I'm going to replace my buddy's also). They recommended going back to the original setup due to differences in torque/ speed....
    But when I asked about upgrading to waterproof, the only one they could recommend was the 2056 for all three, which contradicts the torque/speed argument. Anyway, thoughts on which way to go? Is it a bad idea to use 2055's on all three? Yes, I do use the reverse.
    Thanks!

RC Competitor
    So if i have it correct you had the 2018 servo on the throttle and the reverse and the 2055 for steering? The new t maxx 3.3 comes with a 2055 servo for throttle so there would be no reason you couldnt upgrade to the 2055 for throttle. The steering is also 2055 so you should be all set there( I would upgrade to the 2070 for way more torque for just about the same price) The new t maxx 3.3 doesnt have reverse so i cant confirm the upgrade to the 2055 with anything solid other then the fact I dont think anyone will give you a reason not to. The 2055 just has more torque then the 2018 so it shouldnt affect anything negatively. I have a classic t maxx that i just upgraded all the servos on which i use and have never had an issue:
    Steering:savox sc-0251mg
    Throttle: traxxas 2055
    Reverse: Got rid of it caused to much trouble

RC Qualifier
    The 2055 replacement is Traxxas 2070 (non waterproof) or 2075 (waterproof). Both around 125 oz of torque. Stock 2055 is somewhere where 80 I think. I just bought a 2075 this morning to replace my steering servo from a runaway crash. Now they sell several with more force and all metal gears, but the price can get a little high for them. I think I payed around $23 for mine on Ebay with shipping. Are you positive those new batteries are good? A good name brand? I ended up putting a hump battery in mine and did away with the 4 AA holder setup. Just try to get the highest Mah you can, more reserve. Try to find one with a charger included, again Ebay.

If I am not mistaken, the 2055 (86oz .20 sec) is the non waterproof and the 2056 (80oz .23 sec)is the waterproof
    2070 (125oz .17sec/ digital with ball bearings) and the 2075 is same with waterproof features.

I think the 2055 is the only one that is NOT digital! and I think the ratings are at 6v.

I agree with the receiver pack idea. I never run AA batteries in my nitro cars - always receiver packs. You will have no issues upgrading to a stronger/faster servo unless you get one that draws too much current (aftermarket servos).

However, nitro engines are not waterproof(duh) so doesnt make sense to upgrade to waterproof servos unless you find a good deal on them. Option is yours. If you can get your hands on a receiver pack before you start replacing things, you may save you money and time if you find that the receiver pack solves the problem for you.
    "RED"

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    my vote is for solar servos or t-pro servos.... dirt cheap and great servos...

i use the t-pro 165oz/in digital metal geared bb .18speed@6v's, $12... and i use solar d771 190oz/in at 6v's, digital metal geared, .10 speed at 6v's thats right .10, $17.50 stupid fast servo

i use them in all my vehicles and have for years, i wont go anywhere else for servos..
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

Purchase the best servo(s) you can reasonably afford (think of them as an investment). I consider the throttle servo the most important part of any Nitro RC.
    You also want a working fail safe and a throttle return spring to prevent those runaways.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC poster
    Wow, thanks for the replies. I actually got some good info from everyone. I am going to get the "hump pack" , got the part number from Traxxas while I was on the phone. I wasn't planning on doing any real "water" running, just figured it might help "just in case". I also thought it might have a better seal to keep out dust. Really the only reason for looking at those. Haven't heard of the T-pro. I may look into those.
    Bought my truck in 2006 and it's all stock, with 27? mhz analog radio. If I ever got serious, I might upgrade to digital. Being a novice, I wasn't really aware of the fail safe or throttle return spring but I will definitely look into that stuff too. I felt pretty helpless the other day, watching my old T-maxx headed to sea, never to be found again....LOL. And I'm way too old to try and catch it!! Thanks to y'all for the help!

RC Competitor
    lol LSM you sound like me. 6 months ago i dug my tmaxx2.5 out of the closet just to get it running and have some fun. well i started upgrading (couple new servos, aluminum chasis braces, new 3.3 engine, 3.3 clutch to go with the engine, had to have the tqi docking transmitter once i saw it, then had to buy an old i phone cuz i couldnt get mine back from my kid, new aluminum bumpers front and rear, new body cuz mine was beat,new hump pack battery, and im probly still not done lol. anyways my point ? i dont know. about $350 spent so far but im hooked again and its fun.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kuskye25 View Post
    my vote is for solar servos or t-pro servos.... dirt cheap and great servos...

i use the t-pro 165oz/in digital metal geared bb .18speed@6v's, $12... and i use solar d771 190oz/in at 6v's, digital metal geared, .10 speed at 6v's thats right .10, $17.50 stupid fast servo

i use them in all my vehicles and have for years, i wont go anywhere else for servos..
    where do you find these servos? do you have the website?
    SLASH 4X4, SLASH 2WD, RUSTLER VXL, TMAXX 2.5R

RC Champion
    Latitude:N 37 15' 47.0002" Longitude:W 115 47' 34.8713"
    Quote Originally Posted by BISDAK View Post
    where do you find these servos? do you have the website?
    PM sent...
    Traxxas is good, but so are other Manus

RC Racer
    if you can replace your steering servo with a metal gear servo. get a hitec servo or something similiar. my 2070 servo stripped out on me because its all nylon gears. also upgrading ur throttle and brake servo is a good idea. also if you can get rid of the battery box and get a hump pack it saves on room. I gpt a hpi battery pack as it was cheaper then the traxxas equivalent and I got a hitec servo http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/ser.../hs-645mg.html

RC poster
    I have same issue. My tmaxx 2.5sat and now the throttle is barely moving and same for reverse. I put new batteries in and made bad choice to run it thinking it might free up. It went full throttle and luckily hit trash can.

Should I just replace throttle 2018 servo. Is there a separate servo for reverse? I don’t know what to do here. Any advice or parts list would be appreciated.

RC Competitor
    I have a new 49104-1 T-maxx Classic, and I can confirm all the stock servos (reverse, throttle, steering) are 2055. The steering servo gave out on me so I upgraded to a Hitec (same one as B3nno8). It's a little more powerful than the 2075 (125oz) at 133oz, but more importantly it has metal gears. To keep costs down I would go for 2055s on the throttle and reverse but make sure to upgrade your steering. If you have the budget then might as well upgrade all 3. If you want to do the hump pack conversion, get part 3034. It replaces the wiring so you can plug in your battery and have a charge jack on the case. Not sure if your battery box has a charge jack, but if you don't, get part 4925X. You can get the Traxxas 3037 pack, but you can find bigger capacity aftermarket ones as well. You can also get part 3028 to use your EZ-Start charger with the new servo hump pack. (Make sure not to get 3029, they look almost the same. I learned the hard way lol)

RC Competitor
    Didn't even notice how old this thread is lol. Anyway hope this helps Brianu. Also yes the reverse servo is separate.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by len- tmaxx 2.5 View Post
    Didn't even notice how old this thread is lol. Anyway hope this helps Brianu. Also yes the reverse servo is separate.
    Hey, I just landed here and I’m having all sorts of issues, including servos, with a gifted 2006 TMaxx, so thank you for reviving the post!

While I’m at it...I obviously have the analog version at 27Mhz; receiver and transmitter work as I was able to operate the steering servo. Would it be worth it to upgrade receiver and transmitter to digital?

Thank you!
    Last edited by Wotamite; 08-04-2020 at 01:52 AM.