RC poster

TRX-4 Steering Endpoints not saving

My new TRX-4 will not save the steering endpoints. I go through the setup on the TX and set them, hold down the menu to get out of programing mode and they work fine. After I turn off the truck and the TX and turn everything back on, the endpoints are back to default. I tried it with the Link BT module and the same thing happens, however when I turn the truck and the TX on and have it connected via the Link, the endpoints are at my saved positions. I turned off the Override TX Settings in Traxxas Link app with no change. I really don't won't to have to have my phone connected to my truck every time I want to run it. When my kids want to run it and I'm not around, I can see them ripping out the servo. Just curious if anyone else is having this issue. Not sure if it's a firmware issue or something to do with the new 2250 servo. I did update the Firmware on the TX and RX and it took a few tries to get it to go through. Is there a way to force a firmware update with the same ver. that is on it already?

My truck stats:
    TRX-4 Bronco
    Motor: Stock
    ESC: Hobbywing WP1080
    Steering Servo: Traxxas 2250
    Shift Servos: Stock
    TX and RX: Stock
    RX Firmware Ver: 2.0.73
    TX Firmware Ver: 6.0.29
    Link BT Module Firmware Ver: 1.0.30

RC Racer
    Have been having this problem with two trucks/two radios.

Let Traxxas support know several weeks ago and they never got back to me.

I do believe it's a firmware issue, but I haven't tried the latest one yet (I ended up replacing my radio/transmitter to a different brand altogether).

It's a very frustrating problem that will no doubt cause more servos to crap out.

RC poster
    Steve from Traxxas got back to me with some instructions to factory reset the radio and the RX that were a little different than the standard reset procedure that's in the manual. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. They are sending me a new RX. I pulled the 6518 RX out of my Summit just to test and it would retain my steering end points on the TRX-4 just fine. It's safe to say that I will not be attempting to update the new RX's firmware once I get it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by spookydoom View Post
    Steve from Traxxas got back to me with some instructions to factory reset the radio and the RX that were a little different than the standard reset procedure that's in the manual. Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. They are sending me a new RX. I pulled the 6518 RX out of my Summit just to test and it would retain my steering end points on the TRX-4 just fine. It's safe to say that I will not be attempting to update the new RX's firmware once I get it.
    Hi, I had the same issue and cured it. It all stemmed from changing the function of the knob to steering sensitivity then changing my mind and changing back to cruise control. It kept the last known setting for the steering sensitivity...
    To get the steering endpoints back, I went back to sensitivity for the knob, set it to maximum, then back to cruise control. Voila full steering angle.
    Hope this helps diagnose some of the issues.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiggolas View Post
    Hi, I had the same issue and cured it. It all stemmed from changing the function of the knob to steering sensitivity then changing my mind and changing back to cruise control. It kept the last known setting for the steering sensitivity...
    To get the steering endpoints back, I went back to sensitivity for the knob, set it to maximum, then back to cruise control. Voila full steering angle.
    Hope this helps diagnose some of the issues.
    Thanks for the input. I read something similar in another thread about the steering sensitivity with the multi-function knob causing issues. I never changed my knob. It's always been set for cruise control. I did try setting it for sensitivity, setting it to max then changing it back to cruise but it didn't fix the issue. My issue was not that I didn't have full steering range, it's that after I set my end points, turn off the radio and the truck then turn them back on, the end points were gone and I had full steering range past where I had set the endpints. Not a big issue for me to reset them before I run but if 1 of my kids goes to run it and I'm not around to set them, that new 2250 high torque servo would be toast. I'm pretty sure it is a firmware issue. I didn't have any issues until i tried the firmware update with the Link module. I got a new RX at my LHS just to have a spare when Traxxas sends me a new one. Put it and and everything works as it should. I did get a prompt to update the firmware for the TSM on the RX. No thanks.

RC poster
    Update: While waiting for Traxxas to ship me a new RX I purchased a new RX online to have a spare and maybe do some testing with. I installed the new rx and everything worked fine. I was able to set my steering endpoints and retain them even after the radio and RX were powered down. I know I said I would not be updating the firmware but curiosity got the best of me and I proceeded with the update of the TSM RX. After the update I had to reset my radio back to factory as well as my endpoints. After I powered off the radio and truck and turned them back on, my endpoints were no longer where I set them and I had full range steering. I thinks it's safe to say that the firmware update for the TSM is what's causing this issue.

RC poster
    Update #2: The new RX from Traxxas arrived and is working perfectly. I was prompted to update the TSM firmware from 5.0.42 to 6.0.60 when I connected via the Link BT module which I refused. One interesting thing I found when working with the RX after the update that caused it to not retain the steering enpoints. If i turn on the radio and the truck once, the endpoints are not set. If I turn off the truck then turn it right back on, my endpoints are set where I wanted them. This is without being connected to the Link BT module.

RC poster
    BINGO! It worked for me as well. Right after turning on the transmitter then my truck I turned the truck off & on and Walla, end points set!

RC poster
    Glad it worked for you. Hopefully others will find this and keep themselves from burning up that nice, new 2255 servo they just installed.

RC poster
    Hi from France (And sorry for my bad English) !

I just buy 2 TRX-4 : excellent truck, really !
    But i have that memory reset problem : i have to turn On / Off /on again the TRX4 every time to have my configuration.

Any news about this problem ?
    Last edited by Rayth; 02-22-2020 at 08:01 AM.

RC Competitor
    I used the Bluetooth module to setup endpoints and didn't have any more issues after that.....but not sure what update I'm on either.

RC poster
    Hi.
    I have noticed this problem with a new Rustler 4x4 VXL.
    Can anyone who updated the firmware confirm it solves this problem ?
    Thank you.

RC Competitor
    Hey All ,

I also have this issue, on mu TRX4 and TRX6 , When i set my endpoints on the transmitter , al go's well until i disconect my battery .When power back on ,the setting are back to default .
    The only way to counter this , is to connect to the Bluetooth app every time i power on .

RC Competitor
    change over to the flysky gt5 for 50$ it comes with radio and remote. way easier to program having a screen on the remote the traxxas set up seems like it belongs on something in the late 2000s not 2020 like who wants to program by counting flashing leds

RC Competitor
    Thx for the feedback ,

But i have , for my comp RC , the Futaba 4PV .
    So i was thinking to use this one but i am not sure about the reciever .
    The TRX need 6 channel ports but the surface revievers from futaba going to max 4 channels .
    They have air recievers with 6 channels but im am not sure that i can use them ?

Grtz

B

RC Enthusiast
    I agree with Chris5100: change to the Flysky FS-GT5. It is the best value for the money and has more functions than you need with a crawler. When my Traxxas transmitter started to have a sticky trigger over a year ago I was looking for a 6 channel transmitter and ordered the FS-GT5. It has been working without problems in my Defender and it's a pleasure to adjust endpoints for all servos and program steering and throttle curves. 5 channels are used for the TRX-4 controls and the 6th channel allows me to use the horn feature of my installed ESS sound system, something I couldn't do with the Traxxas controls.
    Reinhard

Heres a nice 6 channle remote for $75, plus this is the new v2 version, I have the v1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6d0e684ca69945
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.