RC Competitor

To weight? Or not to weight?

So I have been reading a ton of information watching tons of videos etc, about adding brass weights to the TRX4.
    So far, personally, I have found that just a little bit of weight really seems to make a huge difference, I have destroyed the foams in my stock canyon trail tires due to not plug in the vent holes in the wheels. Smdh. However this is prevented me from having to unglue these tires and remove the foams as it gives a similar effect to totally removing the foam. I have only added brass c-hubs (caster blocks), a brass front bumper mount which is currently not installed due to the fact that I can't flip it and get the mounting holes to line up properly even after making the chassis holes slightly bigger, and I definitely like the approach angles that you get from the bumper flip mod. However, I have also added an aluminum front bumper which has its own deal of weight greater than the factory plastic one. What I'm getting at is just an aluminum bumper and caster blocks made of brass have significantly improved my climbing abilities as well as tire mods like removing center lugs and adding sipes etc. I know the subject has been beaten to death and I'm sure there's another thread on it here but I'd like to get some of you more seasoned crawlers' opinions as to the best setups you found how much weight is too much which weighted pieces of the truck do you think are the best and which ones can be left alone? let me know as I said I feel like an aluminum front bumper and just the brass caster blocks has made a huge improvement. Go ahead and add brass portal covers? Brass diff covers? Let me know which you have experienced and found to be "enough" withouy totally roasting your servo.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The best advise I can give is to listen to your heart...

Really, it all depends on how you drive and what works for you. Some people go REALLY heavy, and some go as light as possible. Me? I am a middle of the road kind of guy. I run portal weights and aluminum beadlocks, this, with a good set of tires, keeps my TRX4 planted well enough to compensate for my lack-luster driving style.

The key here is to drive your truck as much as you can and evaluate what needs to be changed. Does it need more weight somewhere, or, does it just need thicker shock oil? If you think you need to add weight, use some stick-on weights temporarily around where you are going to add the weight to see how your truck performs. If you like it, buy those $60 brass parts, if not, you are not out any money.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    I always add weight to the wheels, interior of it, with automotive leads, then, I add the brass weights in the portals, it works very well for me.

Since you have the brass castor blocks in the front, I would add brass portal covers in the rear (and not the front, since super front heavy vehicles flip very easily when descending forward from a steep incline). Like Greatscott said, it is really more opinion based.

For me, I have added aluminum wheels (a bit more weight, and also for better looks), and brass portal covers (front and rear).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Since you have the brass castor blocks in the front, I would add brass portal covers in the rear (and not the front, since super front heavy vehicles flip very easily when descending forward from a steep incline). Like Greatscott said, it is really more opinion based.

For me, I have added aluminum wheels (a bit more weight, and also for better looks), and brass portal covers (front and rear).
    May i ask what provided benefit you feel from having a heavy rear? Just 4-wheel traction? Does it help with getting enough droop to grab something when the rear tires are fully flexed? Just curious

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The rear isn't exactly "heavier". Having weights all around makes the car overall more stable. If there are only weights on the front, it is going to be severely front heavy, since it is already front biased out of the box. If you do more ascending, then having rear portal weights may hinder performance. However, chances are, when you ascend, you also have to descend, so adding rear portal weights would make the truck more stable in that sense.

With that said, it also increases droop, so it does make it easier to gain traction.

There is no "ideal" or "best" upgrade. All upgrades are different in every aspect, so you have to go with your driving style, and personal opinion in order to fine tune your car to what you want it to be.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.