RC poster

Question Bellcrank/servo saver issues - adjust or upgrade?

Hi everyone,

The steering on my Teton has a lot of slop in it and it is very weak. I have the 2065x servo and that is very solid. It is very clear that the issue is in how loose and weak the servo saver is. I tried replacing the servo savor assembly with a new stock plastic version of it from Traxxas but it is only marginally better than the one I replaced.

I don't see a way to adjust the spring tension on the stock unit. Has anyone tried to tighten this? Maybe add some small spaces or washers between the spring and c-clip?

Otherwise, I am thinking of trying an aluminum bellcrank and servo saver. Something like this unit from Integy or Hot Racing. Anyone have any experience with these? Did they resolve your steering issues?

https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...E#.Xyr__mhKiUk

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8538acd1d8c2ac

Thanks!

RC poster
    My biggest issue with the teton.

As far as I can tell its the spring.1/18th parts are tiny.
    If you buy another steering assembly, make sure it comes with fresh springs.

RC poster
    Thanks - I agree! Fresh springs are a must, hopefully stronger, too. When I replaced it with new Traxxas parts it did include a new spring but was still only marginally better. The search continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Zat0ichi View Post
    My biggest issue with the teton.

As far as I can tell its the spring.1/18th parts are tiny.
    If you buy another steering assembly, make sure it comes with fresh springs.

RC poster
    Having literally and exactly the same problem. Enjoying the Teton almost as much as my 8 year old, but the steering slop is driving me crazy. Already replaced the OEM servo with a Savox since it died. It was not the source of the loosey-goosey steering. Figure it's the sluggish/inaccurate servo-saver. Just ordered the Integy part, hoping that will help.

Hot Racing part would have been easier and cheaper for me, but it requires you to scavenge parts (including the spring) from the OEM assembly. No thanks. Fingers crossed that the Integy included spring has more chutzpah. It certainly looks beefier.

RC poster
    That's awesome! Agreed with the Hot Racing comment as well. Please do let us know how it turns out. I noticed a couple of comments on Amazon listings, etc., that stated it cleared up the problem. I hope it pans out that way for us all!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScot View Post
    Having literally and exactly the same problem. Enjoying the Teton almost as much as my 8 year old, but the steering slop is driving me crazy. Already replaced the OEM servo with a Savox since it died. It was not the source of the loosey-goosey steering. Figure it's the sluggish/inaccurate servo-saver. Just ordered the Integy part, hoping that will help.

Hot Racing part would have been easier and cheaper for me, but it requires you to scavenge parts (including the spring) from the OEM assembly. No thanks. Fingers crossed that the Integy included spring has more chutzpah. It certainly looks beefier.

RC poster
    I hadn't seen this company before but I saw the link in the other thread about Teton tires. Turns out they have the aluminum steering assembly, too. Although, looks like it may not come with a new spring, etc.

Lots of other parts on there, too.

https://www.jteamhobbies.com/collections/teton

RC poster
    The slop in the stock steering servo comes from the plastic point wearing down. If it had been engineered in a round shape, (like the Integy and GPM version) it would probably last longer. Increasing the spring tension merely hastens the wear.

I have the Integy servo saver set up in two of my Tetons and it works amazingly well. The steering is predictable again and they are not wearing out.

That link for Jteam Hobbies is just a re-seller of GPM parts. If you order through that site, it still ships from the GPM warehouse in Hong Kong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the extra info and insight into your experience! Very helpful. I'm glad to hear the Integy part fixed things up, that seems like the way to go.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayremie View Post
    The slop in the stock steering servo comes from the plastic point wearing down. If it had been engineered in a round shape, (like the Integy and GPM version) it would probably last longer. Increasing the spring tension merely hastens the wear.

I have the Integy servo saver set up in two of my Tetons and it works amazingly well. The steering is predictable again and they are not wearing out.

That link for Jteam Hobbies is just a re-seller of GPM parts. If you order through that site, it still ships from the GPM warehouse in Hong Kong.

RC poster
    I think I have your answer.

A fat 2mm shim / washer above the servo saver. (i used a few wraps from a paperclip but i'm ghetto like that)

You then clamp it down hard with the UPPER CHASSIS assembly.
    Looking at it again there are a couple of standoffs you could shave down that sit in between the bellcrank mounts.

Basically you're looking at stiffening the servo saver without locking it.

If I've understood your issue right.

RC poster
    Yup, sounds like it! Thanks for sharing. That is the thought I had to adjust the stock plastic part. How did it work for you? Fix the issue or do you still need to change to an aluminum part?

Maybe I'll find the time this weekend to give it a shot on mine, too. I'll post back when I get a chance to try it.

I think I have your answer.

A fat 2mm shim / washer above the servo saver. (i used a few wraps from a paperclip but i'm ghetto like that)

You then clamp it down hard with the UPPER CHASSIS assembly.
    Looking at it again there are a couple of standoffs you could shave down that sit in between the bellcrank mounts.

Basically you're looking at stiffening the servo saver without locking it.

If I've understood your issue right.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound Stuff View Post
    Yup, sounds like it! Thanks for sharing. That is the thought I had to adjust the stock plastic part. How did it work for you? Fix the issue or do you still need to change to an aluminum part?
    Maybe I'll find the time this weekend to give it a shot on mine, too. I'll post back when I get a chance to try it.
    I've not shaved the standoffs.

https://imgur.com/djAIgGu

You can see a bit if copper above the servo saver , that's my home made shim.

I am being very mean to the plastic (I have ordered a aluminium chassis plate) I'm not sure you can see it but the upper chassis is bowed. (that's what made me think of shaving 1mm of each end of the standoffs. Probably only have to do one side as well)

It has fixed it but only tested indoors so far.

If this works you prob wont need metal bell crank. Mine is metal and is wearing already (you might be able to make our the curling over on the surfaces of the servo saver) and that was before I did my fix. At this scale metal is not much better than plastic.

if i remember to I'll post before and after videos

RC poster
    Anybody ordered and received the Integy bellcrank part directly from Integy lately? I know this is a bit OT, but their international shipping (I'm in Canada) is driving me nuts! They thoughtfully provide a tracking number, but apparently the item is often not scanned until just before it's delivered? That's just cruel!

In other news I just replaced some bent driveshafts, rusted out bearings, wobbly toe links, and even if it's not steering better, it's running smoother which seems to make it more predictable.

RC poster
    I have not ordered from them so have no direct experience there. If they sent it via USPS I know they have had significant issues with shipping delays and it is really hit or miss with them. I have recently had two different packages via USPS take over 3 weeks to arrive when they normally take 3-4 days. Also, USPS rarely updates the tracking info when you try to track a package, so that is normal.

If they sent it via UPS or FedEx then I don't know. I haven't had issues with them lately. Customs into Canada could also be slowing it down if they are backlogged.

Good luck!

Anybody ordered and received the Integy bellcrank part directly from Integy lately? I know this is a bit OT, but their international shipping (I'm in Canada) is driving me nuts! They thoughtfully provide a tracking number, but apparently the item is often not scanned until just before it's delivered? That's just cruel!

In other news I just replaced some bent driveshafts, rusted out bearings, wobbly toe links, and even if it's not steering better, it's running smoother which seems to make it more predictable.

RC poster
    my excessive tightening worked!
    i flipped and cartwheeled it a few times and nothing broke.

steering is really good now. Not perfect but I'm happy.

For now.

RC poster
    Before
    needs sound on so you can here when the servo engages

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqL7dMR17hNPs667A

After
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/11jb8CNmshN56nY28

RC poster
    Glad that's working for you Z!

I am still impatiently waiting for the Integy bellcrank/servo saver to arrive. I believe it must be going by Pony Express around Cape Horn or something.

In the meantime, we added a Prerunner to the collection. The steering is every bit as sloppy out of the box. The 8 year old doesn't give a hoot, it goes fast, does donuts, flips and tumbles and keeps on going. I, on the other hand, find it maddening. If the Integy part does the trick for the Teton, I'll likely make that a first priority for the Prerunner.

RC poster
    That is awesome! Really does look a lot better. I haven't had a chance to do mine yet, on the list for this weekend I hope. Thanks for sharing!

Before
    needs sound on so you can here when the servo engages

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqL7dMR17hNPs667A

After
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/11jb8CNmshN56nY28

RC poster
    Better order the second one now to get it by xmas

Glad that's working for you Z!

I am still impatiently waiting for the Integy bellcrank/servo saver to arrive. I believe it must be going by Pony Express around Cape Horn or something.

In the meantime, we added a Prerunner to the collection. The steering is every bit as sloppy out of the box. The 8 year old doesn't give a hoot, it goes fast, does donuts, flips and tumbles and keeps on going. I, on the other hand, find it maddening. If the Integy part does the trick for the Teton, I'll likely make that a first priority for the Prerunner.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hound Stuff View Post
    Better order the second one now to get it by xmas
    I didn't order a 2nd one, but at least the first one arrived. Then I had to wait to replace the ESC. Finally it's up and running and the Integy bellcrank/servo saver makes a huge difference!

Doing figure 8s is now much more predictable and bumps don't throw it off course as much.

In contrast the steering on the brand new much less abused PreRunner (all OEM) is still sloppy and unpredictable, just not as wildly random as the aged/battered components on the Teton. My 8yr old doesn't care - I do. Probably a second Integy part is in my future, just wish that I could find a Canadian distributor.