RC Racer

Run Times in MERV with Parallel 2s and 3s LiPos

Hey Experts,

Looking for those of you who have run 2s LiPos or 3s LiPos in parallel, what have you found your run times to be? Please include if you ran in training mode/reduced power or full power. Typical 2s batteries are 2200mAh and typical 3s are 1400mAh. Please denote if your batteries are different.

This is a discussion really to give the community a consolidated place to find this information about what they can typically expect with different LiPo setups.

This is NOT a discussion on whether 2s or 3s LiPos are better.

...and GO!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    Hey Experts,

Looking for those of you who have run 2s LiPos or 3s LiPos in parallel, what have you found your run times to be? Please include if you ran in training mode/reduced power or full power. Typical 2s batteries are 2200mAh and typical 3s are 1400mAh. Please denote if your batteries are different.

This is a discussion really to give the community a consolidated place to find this information about what they can typically expect with different LiPo setups.

This is NOT a discussion on whether 2s or 3s LiPos are better.

...and GO!
    I’ve read conflicting posts about whether running LiPos in parallel was “safe” for both the batteries and the ESC.

I purchased a parallel connector in hopes to get epic run times with two 2s batteries.

But now that this post exists I’ll put in some research and tests to contribute.

Thanks fire creating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jindap View Post
    I’ve read conflicting posts about whether running LiPos in parallel was “safe” for both the batteries and the ESC.

I purchased a parallel connector in hopes to get epic run times with two 2s batteries.

But now that this post exists I’ll put in some research and tests to contribute.

Thanks fire creating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parallel doubles capacity, series doubles voltage. there is nothing wrong with running 2 batteries in parallel so long as they are both evenly charged. two 3s batteries in parallel is still 3s, 2 3s batteries in series is now 6s. series is where you can run into issues if you aren't careful.

to the OP, run time threads are impossible. you can expect 10min-40min depending on:
    battery; voltage, capacity, discharge....
    -terrain
    -tire
    -driving style
    -vehicle condition (are you bearings smooth or barely spinning)
    -vehicle weight
    -gearing
    and so on. there is no answer, and these discussions usually lead to more confusion in my experience. perfect example, i generally run two 3s 1000mah 35c batteries in parallel, ive had 12min of run time, and ive had over 25min of run time with the identical set up.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor99 View Post
    parallel doubles capacity, series doubles voltage. there is nothing wrong with running 2 batteries in parallel so long as they are both evenly charged. two 3s batteries in parallel is still 3s, 2 3s batteries in series is now 6s. series is where you can run into issues if you aren't careful.

to the OP, run time threads are impossible. you can expect 10min-40min depending on:
    battery; voltage, capacity, discharge....
    -terrain
    -tire
    -driving style
    -vehicle condition (are you bearings smooth or barely spinning)
    -vehicle weight
    -gearing
    and so on. there is no answer, and these discussions usually lead to more confusion in my experience. perfect example, i generally run two 3s 1000mah 35c batteries in parallel, ive had 12min of run time, and ive had over 25min of run time with the identical set up.
    Your point that different setups results in different run times with even the same batteries is valid of course. But you giving those values plus what range of run times you get, gives anyone that reads this thread a decent picture of what to expect.

I mean if you tell me that you got a fairly stock merv with those two 3s 1000mah 35c batteries, someone with a similar setup who is trying to decide upon what type of batteries they need for just having fun may then go search for larger 3s batteries or just go with a 2s option with the higher mAh.

I get your point, but I think many people still wonder about what type of range of battery time they get if their car looks like X or has X battery(s).

RC Qualifier
    30 Mins for me with 2500mah 2s