RC Qualifier

Rhythmic tail wagging at high speed

Has anyone ever had their erevo's rear sway back and forth at high speed? almost as if a dog was wagging its tail back and forth if you know what i mean. its not slow, but not fast either, but it makes it impossible to control at high speed.

i have done the following troubleshooting:

- its not steering slop, as it still drives in a straight line
    - tires are new and balanced
    - dogbones are new and not bent
    - wheel wobble is as good as i can get it
    - tsm is off
    - happens on 4s as well as 6s
    - diffs are rebuilt with oil

How is your wheel alignment? Toe-out can cause sway issues.
    http://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-toe-in-toe-out/

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    How is your wheel alignment? Toe-out can cause sway issues.
    http://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-toe-in-toe-out/
    For bashing, I usually have a little toe-out on the front of my trucks. Makes them less "twitchy". With zero toe in/out, they wander pretty bad. With toe-in, they are more sensitive to input which makes them too twitchy for someone like me. A lot of either will sap away speed, make them harder to drive and chew up the tires when driving on concrete.

I usually run my rear tires straight or a hair of toe-in if it's adjustable.

I'm not sure what camber does, but I try to run my with zero (straight up/down) camber.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Are the wheel nuts on tight?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    For bashing, I usually have a little toe-out on the front of my trucks. Makes them less "twitchy". With zero toe in/out, they wander pretty bad. With toe-in, they are more sensitive to input which makes them too twitchy for someone like me. A lot of either will sap away speed, make them harder to drive and chew up the tires when driving on concrete.

I usually run my rear tires straight or a hair of toe-in if it's adjustable.

I'm not sure what camber does, but I try to run my with zero (straight up/down) camber.
    Fronts are personal preference. Some like toe-out and others toe-in. I run mine with a very small amount of toe-in in both the front and rear and I like how it handles. But toe-out in the rear wheels can cause what the OP is experiencing.

For camber I have mine with a small amount of negative camber in the front. And none in the rear. It seems to help with the predictability of the steering.
    http://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-camber/

Also you can try changing your caster. It will help with the "twitchy" steering.
    http://www.competitionx.com/rc-tuning-caster/

Also if the bump-steer isn't setup right that can cause "twitchy" steering also.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-08-2020 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added caster link

RC Qualifier
    thanks. i run 0 toe in the front, little toe in on the rear. my wheels are on tight.

my steering is okay, as it does pretty much run in a straight line. on its back, i dont have any chassis shake either, it feels very solid. however when my throttle hits 75%, it starts to wag back and forth. its really frustrating, cause ive replaced everything i thought i'd need to to resolve it.

i was just curious if anyone had ever experienced the same thing and could say 'oh its because of x'

Do you use the Traxxas BT Link? If you do it can be overlooked that the TSM setting is still on.

Also what are you running on. Off-road or on pavement? Your sway could be the tires ballooning.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-08-2020 at 06:16 PM.

RC Qualifier
    yep i have the bt link. with tsm on i notice it more. i run on pavement. ive tried it with belted trenchers, and the sway is 10x more than with the 2.0 talons. so i dont think its ballooing, but more something to do with the weight, momentum, of the car at high speeds. ill try and get a video next time im out

RC Enthusiast
    I have noticed this I think it is the tsm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I have a similar problem with my 1/16 Rally. Those tires are hard, so I don't think it's ballooning. I'll be watching for solutions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Enthusiast
    Iíve noticed with 100k fluid in my diffs it dose not happen much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Next diff will get 100k, then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.