Thread: Gearing options

RC poster

Gearing options

So I'm looking for recommendations on what gearing options people have used and like. I had a 14 tooth pinion running with the 54tooth spur gear ran great but would overheat motor. So I went down to a12 tooth with the 54 and it took all but 2 minutes to strip all teeth off spur gear so clearly wasn't a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jldavis8689 View Post
    I went down to a12 tooth with the 54 and it took all but 2 minutes to strip all teeth off spur gear so clearly wasn't a good choice.
    If you stripped your spur, it was either because your mesh wasn't set correctly or something was moving around (grub screw on pinion came loose, bearing in the motor mount failed, etc). Most likely it was the mesh. That plastic spur can handle the full power of an 1/8th scale power system on 6s lipo when the mesh is set correctly. You didn't strip it just because you geared down 2 teeth.

IMO I prefer conservative gearing, usually stock or even down a tooth or two (assuming stock motor). As long as you aren't going for top speed / speed runs, then gearing down should be beneficial in just about every other aspect.

RC Competitor
    A lot depends on your driving style. On the traxxas website find the manual for your model under support,i believe on page 27 it lists your gearing options to choose from.And also when changing gears set your gear mesh.If your gear mesh is not set right it can cause stripped spur gear.

RC Competitor
    I purchased those plastic motor plate spacer kit. Theres two pieces one with 2x holes the other with 3x holes. They came with a chart for which hole to use with different gearing options. I'm currently running a 13t pinion with the 54t spur. The only problem I've had, after some hard runs the pinion moved farther down the motor shaft. Rectified that problem with a small piece of fuel line tube and locktight
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX