RC Enthusiast

New Revo 3.3 ez-start issues out of the box

I have read the manual twice and been through the traxxas forum. Straight out of the box the ez-start seems to work intermittently. I was able to break the revo in but it took countless attempts at trying the ez-start, recharging, etc. It acts as if there is a wiring issue or something.

When it decides not to work, it does nothing. I get both green lights but do not hear anything whatsoever.

Help?

Try turning the flywheel a small amount. The engine piston could be getting stuck at the top of it's stroke. If it is, sometimes the EZ-start doesn't have enough power to turn it over. Usually turning the engine past this point the EZ-start works as it should.

If looking at the front of the engine the flywheel turns counter-clockwise and looking at the engine from the exhaust side is turns clockwise.

RC Enthusiast
    Ahhh, give the starter motor a little thump with a small screwdriver did the trick =)

...sure feels like a Chevrolet!

RC Competitor
    Contact traxxas customer service and they should tell you the problem and replace anything free of charge since it is new out of the box.

When I bought my first nitro I read up on it and watched break-in/tuning videos. One of the helpful hints was to do a mini after-run with WD-40 in the engine. So I took the plug out and squirted a little WD-40 into the chamber and through the carb. I've done it ever since with a new or freshly rebuilt engine.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Yea, I planned on doing the wd-40 thing but I have another issue. I think the throttle servo might have went out. Doing some more homework before I call support. Thanks ya'll for your help on this. Will keep you posted to the results.

...Looking forward to doing some more bashing!

RC Enthusiast

New Revo 3.3 ez-start issues out of the box

So I really think either the throttle servo is out or the brain has some issues.. but what can i say. I have problems too! I am going through the nitro pains and as a shadetree mechanic and somewhat of a gear/wing/nut-head, I am actually kinda digging this.

I used my multimeter to to see if the servo was getting voltage, some said to bypass the optidrive... tried that. I even connected the servo up to a 9-volt battery; not certain about the white wire.. nothing.

I love a good challenge and indeed this is one... Thank God for engineers and new nitros! lol

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jfobel View Post
    Yea, I planned on doing the wd-40 thing but I have another issue. I think the throttle servo might have went out. Doing some more homework before I call support. Thanks ya'll for your help on this. Will keep you posted to the results.

...Looking forward to doing some more bashing!

Easiest way to check a servo is to swap test them. If the steering servo is working, unplug it and plug the throttle servo into it's spot. Or plug the steering servo in the throttle spot (Servo channels). If it sounds like it is turning but not actually turning it could be stripped servo gears.

RC Racer
    Wow, 10 years since my last post on these forums. This looks like a good place to try out my new username ha! I think grizzly03 is dead on about the piston getting stuck in the sleeve. With a new engine I always heat the block a little with a heat gun (hair dryer will work too) before trying to start. That helps the EZ Start a lot, I'm running a freshly broken in 3.3 and still doing it. Prime the carb AFTER you heat the block. When you're done running, roll the piston to BDC. Since you have a one-way bearing you'll feel a sudden drop, just leave it in that position when it does.

Good advice from grizzly03 on the servo too. The white wire is the signal wire. Not sure about hooking it up to 9 V though, I doubt that servo is rated for more than 6.0. Most common cause of throttle servo failure is them getting strained. People often adjust the endpoint to get the carb to open all the way and go too far, so at WOT the servo is still pulling the linkage. I always leave a small gap at the collar too. Linkage adjustment on most of the Traxxas vehicles I've seen has been good out of the box. Someone said it, nitro has a STEEP learning curve. Stay with it. There's nothing like the smell of nitro in the morning!

RC Enthusiast
    I swapped out the servos and indeed the throttle servo is bad... Thanks for the tip!

Called support for a new servo and ez-start motor. Support was good and friendly.
    Last edited by jfobel; 08-12-2020 at 01:37 PM.