RC Racer

2255 servo setup

Hey guys. I set the link between the servo and steering arm as tight as I could to limit the amount of adjustment I needed to make in the app. Via Bluetooth I set the trim to 3.8 to the right. Can I set this as a new "0" for the servo and save that as a zero default?

Also, can I set my end points to 120% without any damage? Would be nice to have extra angle. I'm at 100% right now. Is there a proper way to figure out endpoints?

RC Racer
    The only thing I'm finding odd is if the truck flips over, sometimes the steering gets stuck and the servo acts as if it's sticky inside. I did put the servo saver in for metal gears.

And this only happens when its flipped over and wheels spinning. Otherwise with wheels static it works normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2Fish88 View Post
    Hey guys. I set the link between the servo and steering arm as tight as I could to limit the amount of adjustment I needed to make in the app. Via Bluetooth I set the trim to 3.8 to the right. Can I set this as a new "0" for the servo and save that as a zero default?

Also, can I set my end points to 120% without any damage? Would be nice to have extra angle. I'm at 100% right now. Is there a proper way to figure out endpoints?
    Why did you make the link the shortest? You should set your trim settings to zero. Then with the truck powered on (in the nuetral position) install the servo horn as close to 90. Then adjust the link length to get the wheels to point forward (not left or right). After those are adjusted then you do the final adjustments needed by adjusting steering trim.

As for endpoints. You flip the truck over and watch your steering linkages. As you turn the wheel left or right you can see where the linkage stops from moving more (hits a mechanical limit). That is where you set your endpoints. If you set your endpoints to more than that your telling your servo to turn more than they are allowed to. Which can wear out, strip gears, or burn up the servo.

The only thing I'm finding odd is if the truck flips over, sometimes the steering gets stuck and the servo acts as if it's sticky inside. I did put the servo saver in for metal gears.

And this only happens when its flipped over and wheels spinning. Otherwise with wheels static it works normal.
    If you adjust your steering linkage as described above you shouldn't have any problems with the steering linkage binding up.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-08-2020 at 03:27 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Why did you make the link the shortest? You should set your trim settings to zero. Then with the truck powered on (in the nuetral position) install the servo horn as close to 90. Then adjust the link length to get the wheels to point forward (not left or right). After those are adjusted then you do the final adjustments needed by adjusting steering trim.

As for endpoints. You flip the truck over and watch your steering linkages. As you turn the wheel left or right you can see where the linkage stops from moving more (hits a mechanical limit). That is where you set your endpoints. If you set your endpoints to more than that your telling your servo to turn more than they are allowed to. Which can wear out, strip gears, or burn up the servo.

If you adjust your steering linkage as described above you shouldn't have any problems with the steering linkage binding up.
    It doesn't bind in the sense I'm sure you're thinking. When the wheels are in motion and I turn it out slowly moves back to center instead of snapping back into center like it should. I have no idea why though.

I shortened the linkage to try and get the wheels as close to straight as possible. The way the linkage was from the stock servos, it canted them way too much to the left.

What is your TSM set at?

OK, I thought it was binding somewhere. And that you shortened the linkage as short a possible and moved (installed) the servo horn to make the wheels point forward.

The slow return to center could be the TSM as RICK DIZZLE suggested. I have forgotten is was on when working on my truck and it does make the steering act funny if the truck is not moving.

RC Racer
    50% in app and i'm assuming 50% on controller (pointing in middle). Even when i set the controller to 0 it still does it. Do i need to reflect these settings in the app? I noticed when the controller knobs are turned, the app settings stay the same. Are they supposed to reflect one another?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    OK, I thought it was binding somewhere. And that you shortened the linkage as short a possible and moved (installed) the servo horn to make the wheels point forward.

The slow return to center could be the TSM as RICK DIZZLE suggested. I have forgotten is was on when working on my truck and it does make the steering act funny if the truck is not moving.
    I appreciate the help! I was just trying to clarify. The servo saver spring seems canted but it could just be my eyes. This wouldn't cause the slow return, would it?

50% in app and i'm assuming 50% on controller (pointing in middle). Even when i set the controller to 0 it still does it. Do i need to reflect these settings in the app? I noticed when the controller knobs are turned, the app settings stay the same. Are they supposed to reflect one another?
    The app overrides the controller. There is a button or setting that needs to be changed if you want the transmitter knob to work. Under the TSM window where you can adjust the TSM percentage there is a picture of a knob in the bottom right. If you touch the knob picture it should get a red ring around it. When it does you can adjust TSM with the multi-function knob on the transmitter. If there is no red circle you can only adjust TSM using the app (slider bar on the bottom).

If the App is on and showing 50% that is what the TSM is set at. It will show 0% when it is off.

/\ this is 100% correct!

RC Racer
    Let me see what I can do lol

RC Racer
    Switched the TSM to the knob and all is well. Aligned car as well. Good to go! Thanks guys.

Glad you got it going.

RC Racer
    Ran it today and it seems fine now. Maybe it's a glitch in the app framework? The only thing I had an issue with is pivot balls loosening up. Gets annoying.

...The only thing I had an issue with is pivot balls loosening up. Gets annoying.
    A trick I learned from this forum is to use pipe thread tape on the pivot ball caps. I use the thicker yellow tape and only wrapped 2 layers thick (or twice around). So far it's working.

If the caps are too tight on the pivot balls they can loosen them up.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-09-2020 at 09:07 PM.