RC poster

2850kv in a mini revo

I recently purchased a brushed 1/16 revo and was thinking of putting in a brushless system. I have a mamba micro x rock crawler edition esc coming in the mail that I will pair with a 1406-2850kv 1/10 motor I have laying around.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0162-03

I was thinking that since the brushed edition has the larger motor mount that it should drop in and with the light weight of the truck, it should not stress the esc to badly. I did some quick math and the 4000kv velineon 380 on 2s is running at 29600rpm nominal and the 2850Kv castle motor running on 3s is 31600rpm. So the speed on 3s should be comparable to the vxl brushless on 2s and should give me a ton more available torque so I can upsize the pinion for more speed. If anyone is interested, Iíll post my results in a few days when the esc arrives. Any thoughts on this plan?

A Mamba Micro X might be not strong enough for the 1/16 Traxxas cars. It's not only a matter of being able to get to an amount of rpm by using a specific voltage. You also just need to be able to deliver the right amount of current. The Castle Sidewinder 3 and 4 are more suitable for the 1/16 Traxxas rigs.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Macman-72 View Post
    ...If anyone is interested, Iíll post my results in a few days when the esc arrives...
    I'd be curious if the ESC held up. I know there are two different Mamba Micro X's. The specs for the crawler edition ESC are similar to the sidewinder 3 but with sensor capability. If it works out, I might get one to have a sensored setup in my 1/16 summit.

RC poster
    I was curious about the spike/running current of the motor and the max allowed with the esc but I couldn’t find those specs anywhere. Anyone know them? I’m assuming that since castle sells them together as a combo, that the esc is rated for that motor. I’m just not sure if the application on a basher vs a crawler is going to make a big difference. With the lighter weight of the revo vs a 1/10 crawler I’m hoping it works out. I like the idea of a sensored setup on the merv.

RC poster
    I have an ammo 28-45-3600 in my parts bin that I’ll be switching to if the esc gets too hot with the 2850kv.

RC poster
    It has really nice specs for a merv...

Motor Diameter: 1.1 (28mm)
    Motor Length: 1.77 (45mm)
    Shaft Diameter: .126 (3.2mm)
    Shaft Length: .591 (15mm)
    kV Rating: 3600 rpmV
    Weight: 4.6oz (133g)
    Input Voltage: 7.4-14.8V
    Max. Constant Current: 40A
    Max. Surge Current: 70A
    Max. Constant Watts: 592W
    No Load Current: 2.3A

RC Qualifier
    I think you'll end up having to use the other esc. The mini erevo is almost as big as some scale crawlers, and probably weighs more then the comp trucks it is designed for. If you were crawling with your erevo, it would be ok, but the hard acceleration and braking will be over taxing it. But might as well try it. Could be fine. Try it on 2s first, and if it stays cool then try 3s.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Well, I wouldn’t call it fast (I’d guess somewhere around 30mph) but it’s smooth and runs plenty cool on 3s. (Esc ~130, motor ~110). I have it geared at 31/45 and it still wheelies on demand and is very nimble. If the top speed isn’t an issue, it’s definitely a viable racing setup. I haven’t run 2s yet as 3s isn’t really that fast so 2s is going to be too slow but the micro x sensored esc can definitely run this motor in this truck. I have it set to smart sense and highest timing with medium start power and no issues at all. Battery is a 1400mah 50c and doesn’t even get warm. It’s basically an underpowered setup but it’s smooth.

RC poster
    Last edited by Macman-72; 08-12-2020 at 05:35 PM.

That's good news. I think I found a sensored ESC for my mini summit!

RC poster
    The 1406-3800 slate motor would probably be a better choice (2s option and more gearing choices) but I had the 2850kv in my parts bin so... Bob’s your Uncle.

Did the ESC mount up in the oem location without modding the chassis? (hard to tell in the picture). When I used a Mamba Max Pro before I had it ziptied to the motor, LoL.

RC poster
    I had to trim the lip of one of the 3m mounts to allow it to sit flush and then used gyro tape to hold it down.

Wait, nevermind, that was to mount a sidewinder 4... the micro sits flush between the oem mount, no trimming needed
    Last edited by Macman-72; 08-12-2020 at 06:33 PM.

Thank you.

RC poster
    This truck is so sweet... it stays cool, does about 45mph on 3s (31/45), accelerates super smoothly, wheelies so easily I had to put in a center differential to keep the nose down and help with handling and threw on the T-Bone chassis guard... love this setup

https://flic.kr/p/2jwKDNN
    https://flic.kr/p/2jwKDNC
    https://flic.kr/p/2jwLMH4
    https://flic.kr/p/2jvGVRP
    https://flic.kr/p/2jvGVQX
    https://flic.kr/p/2jvGVQw

I considered the Mamba Micro X when I was going brushless with mine. But I had a SW3 SCT spare already and worried the Mamba might get hot. I think I may reconsider so I can reclaim my battery bay.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey MacMan-72, where did you score that awesome blue chassis brace? I had a heck of a time finding mine. Just curious.

I've been out of this hobby for quite some time, so I am searching the forums as best I can. Has anyone used a holmes hobbies 380 2600kv motor with the vxl3m esc?

I ordered my kid an merv vxl and I want to slow it down quite a bit, but don't want to go full on brushed. So I was planning to swap the trans gears and then I also found that motor I thought might work out better for lower speeds and in our backyard.

I hope my question doesn't come off as thread-jacking but it seemed relevant to the OP. Thanks!
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519 View Post
    I've been out of this hobby for quite some time, so I am searching the forums as best I can. Has anyone used a holmes hobbies 380 2600kv motor with the vxl3m esc?

I ordered my kid an merv vxl and I want to slow it down quite a bit, but don't want to go full on brushed. So I was planning to swap the trans gears and then I also found that motor I thought might work out better for lower speeds and in our backyard.

I hope my question doesn't come off as thread-jacking but it seemed relevant to the OP. Thanks!
    For your situation I would just get the Bluetooth link then Custom set the training mode % in the app. so can give it full power. Or just enough to make it crawl around. And everything in-between. Only issue is having to set up training mode everytime you run it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    For your situation I would just get the Bluetooth link then Custom set the training mode % in the app. so can give it full power. Or just enough to make it crawl around. And everything in-between. Only issue is having to set up training mode everytime you run it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    This is what I do and it works great with my two under 7yo. It also works well on my slash 4x4 vxl.

It remembers training mode actually, but if you drive it and turn it off, then yeah, you have to remember to turn it back on.

Quote Originally Posted by halygon View Post
    This is what I do and it works great with my two under 7yo. It also works well on my slash 4x4 vxl.

It remembers training mode actually, but if you drive it and turn it off, then yeah, you have to remember to turn it back on.
    I swapped the trans gears around and put it in training mode, that worked wonders for both kids. I also got a summit vxl for them and that was also a big hit, just in training mode they seemed pretty well matched, the summit being slightly faster, due to gearing I'm sure. Now to get them some wheel time so we can turn up the speed. Thanks everyone!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Donít handicap children by making life easy