RC Competitor

New Trx6 Tow Truck Build

Hi guy! I just recently bought a trx6 slider. Iím aiming to make a working tow truck out of it. Mainly, Iím just looking for someone who can print a few parts for me for $. Maybe this isnít aloud in this group (lmk if it isnít, Iíll take it down)
    I need to make some rear shock mounts, a roller/pulley for the end of the boom and maybe a center one.
    And all of the help anyone has! I need to learn how to turn a servo into a winch, and any other help I need. Everything NV is appreciated guys! Thanks! (Again, if not aloud, let me know and Iíll delete)

Sounds like an awesome project!!! I have been trying to find a TRX6 slider/roller for a while, but no luck.

Parts...
    Can you draw the parts you need out in a CAD program? What material are you wanting the parts to be in. For a lot of applications, PLA or PETG work just fine, but for higher stressed parts you'll want to go with ABS. There are a number of commercial sites that will print your parts for you.

Servos...
    It really depends on how you want to run them as to how to turn them into servo winches. I go REAL simple with my servo winches, I gut the electronics out of the servo, solder up 22awg wire to the servo motor, and run the whole mess off of a HW1060 ESC.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Sounds like an awesome project!!! I have been trying to find a TRX6 slider/roller for a while, but no luck.

Parts...
    Can you draw the parts you need out in a CAD program? What material are you wanting the parts to be in. For a lot of applications, PLA or PETG work just fine, but for higher stressed parts you'll want to go with ABS. There are a number of commercial sites that will print your parts for you.

Servos...
    It really depends on how you want to run them as to how to turn them into servo winches. I go REAL simple with my servo winches, I gut the electronics out of the servo, solder up 22awg wire to the servo motor, and run the whole mess off of a HW1060 ESC.
    Last time I checked (yesterday) there was a trx6 slider for sale. I got mine from eBay 2 nights ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274435580570

I never knew there were companies that would print out parts. That’s super cool! I’ll look into that. And you probably know more than I do about material. Should shock towers be made of pla? And do I need to worry about infill? I have a picture of a trx6 tower a guy 3D printed. He said he’s send me the file, but I have no way to view it..but I might be able to get the file and then send it to someone to print it...
    As for the winches, I was thinking about gutting the servo, soldering on a jst plug your the motor, and then running it off of my receiver. I heard that it will work with the fsgt5 on a three positions switch.
    If not tho, how do you control the esc without another receiver and remote? I’m sure it’s easy but I’m just not sure how.. do you have somewhere I can contact you, so that I get notifications, cuz I sometimes forget to check this��if not it’s fine
    Last edited by Millsie; 08-09-2020 at 09:36 AM.

RC Competitor
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q77mmbxg77...%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfkjijhn23...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Hopefully you can view these pics...

I had already picked out my body and wheels and such, when I came across these photos. This was literally EXACTLY what I was going for. I had already had the body picked out and everything. So I messaged him on Facebook, and he was extremely helpful! Credit to Andreas Hahn https://www.facebook.com/andreas.hahn.9803
    Last edited by Millsie; 08-09-2020 at 09:58 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q77mmbxg77...%20PM.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfkjijhn23...%20AM.jpg?dl=0

Hopefully you can view these pics...

I had already picked out my body and wheels and such, when I came across these photos. This was literally EXACTLY what I was going for. I had already had the body picked out and everything. So I messaged him on Facebook, and he was extremely helpful! Credit to Andreas Hahn https://www.facebook.com/andreas.hahn.9803

Wow, I like it.

RC Competitor
    Thanks! But all credit goes to Andreas Hahn

Quote Originally Posted by Millsie View Post
    Last time I checked (yesterday) there was a trx6 slider for sale. I got mine from eBay 2 nights ago. https://www.ebay.com/itm/274435580570

I never knew there were companies that would print out parts. That’s super cool! I’ll look into that. And you probably know more than I do about material. Should shock towers be made of pla? And do I need to worry about infill? I have a picture of a trx6 tower a guy 3D printed. He said he’s send me the file, but I have no way to view it..but I might be able to get the file and then send it to someone to print it...
    As for the winches, I was thinking about gutting the servo, soldering on a jst plug your the motor, and then running it off of my receiver. I heard that it will work with the fsgt5 on a three positions switch.
    If not tho, how do you control the esc without another receiver and remote? I’m sure it’s easy but I’m just not sure how.. do you have somewhere I can contact you, so that I get notifications, cuz I sometimes forget to check this��if not it’s fine
    I have been looking locally for a used one, not a fan of E-Bay. More than likely, if I dive into this I'll buy a new TRX6, use the body for a back up for my existing TRX6, and strip the rest down to the chasis and axles, then build up from there.

For the shock towers, I would recommend PETG or ABS. PLA might work, but they would have to be beefed up a lot. For any part that is taking a load or any kind of stress, I would recommend 100% infill. If you are running Win10 or just about any Apple computer, they have built-in views for the parts.

Your winch idea will not work. The three wires on receiver wires are signal (white), BEC power (red), and return (black) (the color combo changes with the manufacturer, but they are always in this order). The signal wire sends digital signals to the servo or ESC, telling them where to move to, and the power (normally) is routed through the other two wires. With no control board to translate the digital signals nothing will happen, or worse, you'll back-feed the RX and fry it. If you connect to the power and return the servo motor will spin, but it will constantly spin in one direction with no control.

To make a servo winch that is controlled from the RX directly you keep the servo electronics, remove the limit pin from the gears (if there is one), remove the feedback gear, and set the feedback pot for a neutral position.

Here is a video showing how to convert a winch using the onboard electronics as a controler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRfOCV_xu2s

Here is a video of how to build a servo winch using an ESC to run it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgEx0gxLjA

No matter what, you'll need a 3rd channel to run these. If you are using an ESC, you just plug the ESC into an AUX port that is ran off of a 3-ch switch. You do need to remove the middle (red) wire going from the winch ESC to the RX, I just remove the pin from the plug and put some heat shrink around it.

RC Competitor
    I have been looking locally for a used one, not a fan of E-Bay. More than likely, if I dive into this I'll buy a new TRX6, use the body for a back up for my existing TRX6, and strip the rest down to the chasis and axles, then build up from there.

For the shock towers, I would recommend PETG or ABS. PLA might work, but they would have to be beefed up a lot. For any part that is taking a load or any kind of stress, I would recommend 100% infill. If you are running Win10 or just about any Apple computer, they have built-in views for the parts.

Your winch idea will not work. The three wires on receiver wires are signal (white), BEC power (red), and return (black) (the color combo changes with the manufacturer, but they are always in this order). The signal wire sends digital signals to the servo or ESC, telling them where to move to, and the power (normally) is routed through the other two wires. With no control board to translate the digital signals nothing will happen, or worse, you'll back-feed the RX and fry it. If you connect to the power and return the servo motor will spin, but it will constantly spin in one direction with no control.

To make a servo winch that is controlled from the RX directly you keep the servo electronics, remove the limit pin from the gears (if there is one), remove the feedback gear, and set the feedback pot for a neutral position.

Here is a video showing how to convert a winch using the onboard electronics as a controler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRfOCV_xu2s

Here is a video of how to build a servo winch using an ESC to run it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWgEx0gxLjA

No matter what, you'll need a 3rd channel to run these. If you are using an ESC, you just plug the ESC into an AUX port that is ran off of a 3-ch switch. You do need to remove the middle (red) wire going from the winch ESC to the RX, I just remove the pin from the plug and put some heat shrink around it.
    Wow! A lot of extremely useful info there. Do you think I could use an old Mac to 3D print stuff? Because if thatís the case I could just get a 3d printer. I was just under the assumption that I would have to build or buy a beefy pc to go along with the printer..
    Anyway, if I were to get a printer, any good reccomendations that can print abs? Iíve heard some printers wonít do it.. I think. Honestly I donít know a ton abt that.
    And about the winch, that makes total sense. You run the 1060 off of the extra channel. But, can I solder a jst to the servo motor still, and then run that to the wire on the esc that would normally hook to the motor? And I did know about that limiting pin. Hopefully it just pops out on the servo I want to use.

RC Enthusiast
    you can make a metal tow bed entirely with basic hand tools out of steel or aluminum think it out and you can have a really nice build for cheap

RC Competitor
    The plan was to have an aluminum bed and an aluminum tow bar. Or a thin steel towbar.
    I work at a fab shop for a living so that wasn’t the problem. The problem would be the shock mounts and the rollers. I wanted plastic roller so they wouldn’t damage the line and would be easy to spin. But now that I think about it I might be able to make rollers, it would just be difficult on such small scale. And I wanted to keep weight to an extreme minimum. But I could try to make the parts first, and if it’s too heavy, print them later....

3D printing is not rocket science, just like RC, you need to learn some fundamentals and go from there. If I can do it reasonably well, anyone can. There are lots of You Tube videos that can explain the process a lot better than I can. As far as the Mac goes, it really depends on how old it is.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Sweet project! Hope to see it come to life.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    3D printing is not rocket science, just like RC, you need to learn some fundamentals and go from there. If I can do it reasonably well, anyone can. There are lots of You Tube videos that can explain the process a lot better than I can. As far as the Mac goes, it really depends on how old it is.
    That’s true. I’ll do some research. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Sweet project! Hope to see it come to life.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Oh trust me, it will come to life. I’m going to start working on it as soon as I get my slider. I’ll try to remember to post pics and keep you guys updated