RC Racer

Surging under heavy acceleration

I have just regeared to 35/55 and it's insane on 3s, I'm running a 120a esc and motor but under heavy acceleration she surges, like going through gears, start, 1,2,3 lunacy speed. I was thinking about a cap pack to level it out, any ideas? It didn't do it on stoxk gearing, or 27/62.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I lowered the punch settings on the esc and this seems to have cured a lot of it.

It does sound like a power delivery issue. Possibly weak battery for the amps required for the higher gearing. Do you have another battery to try?

RC Racer
    I do but only the same brand, i use these batteries in several other rcs and don't have this problem. I'm going to swap out the esc tomorrow for a castle sidewinder i have in my merv.

I had a similar issue when I got my E-revo 2.0. I had a set of batteries that I used in my brushless summit. It has a T8 2000kv truggy motor with the RX8 ESC. The batteries worked fine even with the truck being heavier and with bigger tires. When I tried them in the Erevo it accelerated like a slug. I bought a new set of batteries and it takes off like a rocket. The batteries are still good, they just can't keep up with extra amps needed with a more aggressive setup.

RC Racer
    Hi guys, it seems like it was the esc, i put an old castle sidewinder in her and she ran like a champ, smooth, fast, precise.

Ultimately i guess you get what you pay for, i won't cheap out on hobbywing or hobby king rubbish again, it's traxxas or castle escs from now on.

Thanks guys for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyRC View Post
    Hi guys, it seems like it was the esc, i put an old castle sidewinder in her and she ran like a champ, smooth, fast, precise.

Ultimately i guess you get what you pay for, i won't cheap out on hobbywing or hobby king rubbish again, it's traxxas or castle escs from now on.
    That's a bummer! Glad you got it figured out though.

That's what I do for ESC's (and servos). I keep to what i've had good luck with (Traxxas,Castle,Tekin), even if they are a couple bucks more. I believe in "you get what you pay for."