RC Racer

Pivot balls loosening

My pivot balls keep loosening from the arms (the threaded portion) and it's getting annoying. I've used CA glue on them and it helped a bit. I go in through the rubber boot and tighten them back into the arm. Is there something else I'm supposed to adjust to keep them tight?

Make sure your pillow ball caps are not too tight and they have some form of dry lube on them to ensure smooth movement and they are not pulling and working the pillow ball out. Also I have never been a fan of using CA on a plastic to metal fixture. CA tends to make the plastic more brittle and tends to cause further stripping.

RC Racer
    How would I know if the cap end is too tight or too loose?

If you loosen the cap up a little bit you can feel the excessive play between the pivot ball and carrier. I tighten my caps just until the excess slop is gone and no more.

Grizzly03 is 100% correct. Just tighten just until there is no back and fourth slop. I also use 3 in one oil dry lube on them. Has worked great.

RC Qualifier
    Take your wheels and shocks off, elevate the car. Pull your A-Arms up and tighten ONE pillow ball cap all the way. A-Arms should stay up. Now loosen that cap until A-Arms droop. Repeat for each one. In the front you need to also check for easy movement with steering all the way to the right and left endpoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, I solved the issue of pivot balls coming loose by putting teflon for plumbing:

It works very well, I no longer have any untimely loosening.
    François
    Que dieu vous garde moi j'ai pas l'temps

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by pleinair37 View Post
    Hello, I solved the issue of pivot balls coming loose by putting teflon for plumbing:

It works very well, I no longer have any untimely loosening.
    That's a brilliant idea, Francois!
    I find your lack of teepee disturbing.

RC Qualifier
    I had better luck with Pro Taper (dirt bike grip) glue than r/c tire glue for pillow balls coming out of the arms. You may eventually need news arms as all the thread will be gone from them repeatedly backing out.

I've used the teflon tape for pillow ball caps in the past. Should help with the pillow balls themselves as well, but odds are, your threads are stretched, so your probably on borrowed time and will need new arms.

In a pinch, I use a small ziptie in the hole to add a bit of plastic. The threads cut into the ziptie and smash it into the arm. You don't want to use a large ziptie though as it's likely to be too much and split the arm. I usually only do that to get me through a bash session though, then replace the arms soon after.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss