Horizon Hobby Acquired Pro-Line Racing

Did you guys hear that Horizon Hobbys acquired Pro-Line Racing on August 10?

More info here:
    https://www.horizonhobby.com/blog-pr...ne_acquisition

Just thought I'd share the news...

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I wonder what will become of the few remaining Pro2 parts and the ProFusion line? With a buyout I could see it getting pared down to just wheels/tires.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dgechrgr469 View Post
    I wonder what will become of the few remaining Pro2 parts and the ProFusion line? With a buyout I could see it getting pared down to just wheels/tires.

This is interesting, and like you, wonder what is going to happen to PL's Traxxas-compatible parts. Hopefully Traxxas and Horizon will bury the hatchet, and Traxxas will be available on Tower again, but not holding my breath.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    This is interesting, and like you, wonder what is going to happen to PL's Traxxas-compatible parts. Hopefully Traxxas and Horizon will bury the hatchet, and Traxxas will be available on Tower again, but not holding my breath.
    Me as well, though that's an awfully big market to turn your back on. Interestingly, Tower still sells Traxxas vehicle specific parts (i.e. Hot Racing, STRC, Integy), just not Traxxas branded parts.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    I hope they keep manufacturing here!
    I really hope they bring back their racing tranny

Maybe they will dial down the pricing scheme a bit so I can buy a set of new proline tires vs getting used ones off ebay and facebook for a change! LOL!

With their new "multi-hub" 3.8" wheels/tires, by the time you get 4 tires/wheels and the alloy hubs (because the plastic ones can't handle abuse), your closing in fast on $200.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    Olds, the hexes for the faultlines cost as much as the wheels! I found RC4WD has a set of 4 for a much lower cost. I believe pro-lines might be discontinued anyway.

RC Qualifier
    Second on the hope of lesser prices. I think Iíve spent less on a set of 1:1 tires, and they were new.
    2.0, Summit, Slash (4x4), 'Pede 4x4, MERV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    I hope they keep manufacturing here!
    I really hope they bring back their racing tranny
    Knowing horizon, that’s...well I hope so too.

My wild guesses:
    Discontinued.
    Never.
    No.
    Me either.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

RC Qualifier
    I think part of Pro-lines problem was the relative high prices of some of their parts. At the time a Pro2 kit was as much as a new Slash, then from what i've heard the transmissions got a bad rap because of the early models had failures which were corrected but were relatively expensive too. Low sales volume and high initial cost equals discontinued product. As much as I hate to see it maybe these discontinued products could be more profitable made elsewhere. I would rather buy a Pro-Line Pro2 branded foreign product than a Integy copy of the same.

With comments on the acquisition on Instagram, Pro-Line said the following:

Comment: I guess Iíd better hurry up and buy my Traxxas tires before you quit making them!

Reply: no need to worry. We will continue to develop new made in USA tires for traxxas kits, but you can still buy all you want.

https://www.instagram.com/prolineracing/

I think part of Pro-lines problem was the relative high prices of some of their parts.
    NAILED IT!!!

Many, many moons ago, before scale crawling got big, you could get Proline scale accessory kits for less then $10. Almost over night Proline jacked their prices on scale stuff. Today, these same accessory kits round $30.

I would rather buy a Pro-Line Pro2 branded foreign product than a Integy copy of the same.
    Here is one of the biggest problems in the hobby, too many people are willing to buy the knock-off. These are the same jack-wagons who will go to their LHS, search out products they are looking for, pick the LHS guy's brain for hours on end, then buy that product online to save a buck or two.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier

I will be very surprised if they donít throw out the pro fusion/pro mt 4x4 line altogether.

I can see them keeping the body line though, given how profitable it must be, especially the short course bodies that can fit multiple brands and crawler bodies too. Other than j concepts there isnít really any other major after marketing body suppliers, is there?

Interesting conversation between Josh (Harley Designs), Matt (Scale Builders Guild) and Paul (Pro-Line).

Watch from 13:55

I haven't watched all of it yet, but interesting...

RC Qualifier
    Bodies, wheels and tires, yup!

The best part is around 14:44. "All the internet experts!"

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered a "Pro" Pro-Line trans since they are becoming rare. The only thing different about it is that it has a 32P spur, I've never heard of them having that pitch before. Guess that makes it about impossible to find a replacement. I've never tried putting Slash slipper parts on them, not sure if they'll work. I've modified Losi slippers to work since most stuff has been discontinued.

RC Competitor
    NAILED IT!!!

Many, many moons ago, before scale crawling got big, you could get Proline scale accessory kits for less then $10. Almost over night Proline jacked their prices on scale stuff. Today, these same accessory kits round $30.

Here is one of the biggest problems in the hobby, too many people are willing to buy the knock-off. These are the same jack-wagons who will go to their LHS, search out products they are looking for, pick the LHS guy's brain for hours on end, then buy that product online to save a buck or two.
    So right. I have been in line behind this guy to often. And doesent by a thing. Next week racing, something breaks, takes out half the field.
    Slayer Pro, Slash VXL 4x4, Jato 3.3, Rustler 2.5

RC Qualifier
    Apparently this "Pro" trans is something new (#6350 00). No wonder I never heard of it. Steel internal gears, 32P spur (tooth count?) Hopefully parts will interchange between new and old. I'm looking online to see if there's any more info on it.

Another informative video hosted by Matt (Scale Builder's Guild):

Have fun!