Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Traxxas Hoss 4x4

Traxxas has a cousin for the Stampede 4x4: the Traxxas Hoss 4x4

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/hoss-4x4-vxl/

It's a tad bigger than the Stampede 4x4.
    At first glance it looks like a shorter chassis version of the Rustler 4x4

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    Traxxas has a cousin for the Stampede 4x4: the Traxxas Hoss 4x4

https://traxxas.com/products/landing/hoss-4x4-vxl/

It's a tad bigger than the Stampede 4x4.
    At first glance it looks like a shorter chassis version of the Rustler 4x4

The wheelbase is the same, so same chassis as the Rustler 4x4? Would that body fit the Rustler? I sure hope so!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Nice! Kinda like a not-so-mini Mini-Maxx.

I don't see it on the website yet... maybe a new product for the European market before it hits the US?

Thanks for the update!

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Some additional info:

Model #90076-4
    $479.99

Specs:
    • VXL-3s ESC
    • Velineon 540XL Brushless motor (2400 KV)
    • 2075 servo
    • Ultrashocks
    • 2.8" wheels + 5.3" Sledgehammer tires
    • Extreme heavy-duty driveshafts
    • body with reinforced inner cage

Interesting looking truck. A few things stick out.

540XL 2400kv motor combined with a regular VXL-3s? That seems sort of like trying to run a Castle 1415 2400kv motor with a Siderwinder ESC. It "works", but not necessarily a good idea. It seems like this would be a recipe for ESC Thermal Shutdown. Also, these motors are really fun with 4s, which wouldn't even be an option with the VXL-3s. It's not surprising that the stock gearing is 14/54, which is actually really low with that motor. I run a similar 2400kv motor in my Stampede 4x4 along with a Mamba Max Pro. I'm geared 17/54, which already required me to trim the chassis just to be able to get the gears to mesh.

The Rollcage looks interesting, but I wonder how that is going to work with aftermarket bodies?

It still has more of a 4wd Stadium Truck look to it as opposed to a Monster Truck. The Maxx is the same way for the most part. I guess it's just the current trend - to make everything as low-profile as possible to bring down the center of gravity. Unfortunately there is really no such thing as a "LCG Monster Truck". That is what a stadium truck is. A Monster Truck, by definition, should have a lot of ground clearance.

But it will be interesting to see how it actually performs, and what market segment it actually occupies compared to existing vehicles. I look forward to having new parts to choose from that are most likely already compatible with my Stampede 4x4 and Slash 4x4 Monster Trucks.

RC Competitor
    Oh my gosh..... this is so cool I want that and the motor.... for an SMT10 Iíd itíll fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Meh, I was hoping they would come out with something for the street.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    The wheelbase is the same, so same chassis as the Rustler 4x4? Would that body fit the Rustler? I sure hope so!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    It looks like a stampede 4x4 chassis stretched to be able to use the 540xl motor with the vxl-3s esc.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Interesting looking truck. A few things stick out.

540XL 2400kv motor combined with a regular VXL-3s? That seems sort of like trying to run a Castle 1415 2400kv motor with a Siderwinder ESC. It "works", but not necessarily a good idea. It seems like this would be a recipe for ESC Thermal Shutdown. Also, these motors are really fun with 4s, which wouldn't even be an option with the VXL-3s. It's not surprising that the stock gearing is 14/54, which is actually really low with that motor. I run a similar 2400kv motor in my Stampede 4x4 along with a Mamba Max Pro. I'm geared 17/54, which already required me to trim the chassis just to be able to get the gears to mesh.

The Rollcage looks interesting, but I wonder how that is going to work with aftermarket bodies?

It still has more of a 4wd Stadium Truck look to it as opposed to a Monster Truck. The Maxx is the same way for the most part. I guess it's just the current trend - to make everything as low-profile as possible to bring down the center of gravity. Unfortunately there is really no such thing as a "LCG Monster Truck". That is what a stadium truck is. A Monster Truck, by definition, should have a lot of ground clearance.

But it will be interesting to see how it actually performs, and what market segment it actually occupies compared to existing vehicles. I look forward to having new parts to choose from that are most likely already compatible with my Stampede 4x4 and Slash 4x4 Monster Trucks.
    The 2400 kv motor is why I assume the esc comes standard with a fan. With low gearing it might be okay, no too many people will be gearing it to the moon making speed runs with it anyway. On the other hand, 540xl is longer than 1515 motors, so it should be easy to fit in a castle or something with 2200kv motors. It will be as easy as people have been putting MM2/X and 2200kv in HCG Sl4sh chassis.

As far as the bodies, it was announced today that proline was bought by Horizon, so I think the future will be very Traxxas VS Horizon unless a smaller outfit starts on their own to make traxxas clipless body replacement, and no offense to traxxas but I don’t see traxxas allowing that any time soon.

But, at least we can still switch out the towers for the slash/stampede ones and use 2wd rustler compatible bodies, I think.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-10-2020 at 03:07 PM.

RC poster
    I checked part numbers from Exploded Views:
    - Chassis is new
    - Bulk heads are same that Stampede 4x4 has
    - Center driveshaft is same as in Rustler 4x4
    - Shock tower are same that Rustler 4x4 has
    - Center diff as default with metal spur, no "traditional" slipper clutch

There might be some other differences too, but these I noticed with quick look.
    Last edited by Hepokatti; 08-10-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Seems like a better version of the monster Slash 4x4.
    Last edited by No One; 08-10-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    Slash 4x4
    Stampede - 4x4 x3
    Prerunner x3
    Teton

So, is it a stampede 4x4 with a rustler 4x4 chassis? I put a slash chassis on mine, so wasn't sure if it the rustler chassis was longer than the stampede or not.

With the maxx 4s in existence... kind of surprised they are re-upping the stampede 4x4.

Side by side of the 4 trucks makes it a bit easier to compare them.

Stampede 4x4

rustler 4x4

slash 4x4

hoss

So it's rustler sized but HCG. I don't think I've seen one of those in person. Does the rustler come in LCG or HCG or is it just LCG?

Actually, narrower/shorter than the stampede 4x4 according to those measurements. I have my stampede a bit wider with 6mm offset hubs and it's still pretty tippy.

I have a 4074 2200kv/blx185 150A esc in mine, but still just run it on 3S with 54/20 and it's a handful at speed. Can't imagine the vxl-3s will be able to gear much beyond 14/54 without overheating.

Just the same, nice to see they are cranking out updated products.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 08-10-2020 at 04:38 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    So, is it a stampede 4x4 with a rustler 4x4 chassis? I put a slash chassis on mine, so wasn't sure if it the rustler chassis was longer than the stampede or not.

With the maxx 4s in existence... kind of surprised they are re-upping the stampede 4x4.
    It’s just a stampede 4x4 with its chassis streched .8 inch length wise.

It only weighs about 2/3 that of a maxx so I think it will do just fine powerwise.

RC Champion
    So it’s a longer, lower, and Narrower Stampede 4x4?
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    540xl is longer than 1515 motors
    Negative. The motor in the Maxx, and now the Hoss 4x4, is a 3670 motor. 70mm long. It's very similar to the Castle 1415 2400kv motor. It might actually be the same, as castle is the OEM manufacturer for many traxxas components (2200kv motor in the E-Revo is a Castle 1515 for example). The Castle 1515 2200kv motor is a 4074 motor (larger diameter and longer than the Maxx / Hoss 4x4 540XL motor).

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3461

Actually, narrower/shorter than the stampede 4x4 according to those measurements.
    Those Sledgehammer 2.8 tires seem fairly narrow. Almost like an enlarged Short Course Truck tire. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason why it is more narrow than the Stampede 4x4. Even the stock Rustler 4x4 tires look more wide. I don't think I'm a big fan of the way the Sledgehammer 2.8 tires look so far, especially since in the videos they are obviously not belted. I would be really curious what the Hoss looks like with some of the other 2.8 Monster Truck tires that are available, even the Talon 2.8 or Maxx 2.8 tires from the Stampede.

RC Qualifier
    Negative. The motor in the Maxx, and now the Hoss 4x4, is a 3670 motor. 70mm long. It's very similar to the Castle 1415 2400kv motor. It might actually be the same, as castle is the OEM manufacturer for many traxxas components (2200kv motor in the E-Revo is a Castle 1515 for example). The Castle 1515 2200kv motor is a 4074 motor (larger diameter and longer than the Maxx / Hoss 4x4 540XL motor).

Those Sledgehammer 2.8 tires seem fairly narrow. Almost like an enlarged Short Course Truck tire. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason why it is more narrow than the Stampede 4x4. Even the stock Rustler 4x4 tires look more wide. I don't think I'm a big fan of the way the Sledgehammer 2.8 tires look so far, especially since in the videos they are obviously not belted. I would be really curious what the Hoss looks like with some of the other 2.8 Monster Truck tires that are available, even the Talon 2.8 or Maxx 2.8 tires from the Stampede.
    Ah yes you are right. I was looking at the overall length of the motor on their site listed at 91mm which included the shaft

I think castle hasn’t made 2200kv motors for TRAxxas for a while since sometime during the erevo 1.0 days. I imagine the spec for the 2400 kv motor may be similar to the castle 1415 since a different kv version of the 540xl was used with the boats and the drag car since way back, but I don’t know if castle ever supplied 1415 directly to traxxas.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Wow rustler with big tires and motor. I want !!!!-

Iíve looked at the exploded views for both the Hoss and Stampede 4x4. 90% of the parts are the same. New body, new chassis, Maxx motor, and a few minor changes.

This is essentially a Stampede 4x4 2.0.

Hereís my stampede 4x4 with Sledgehammers.

Here are the sledgehammers compared to badlands mx28.

RC Racer
    The sledgehammer tires seem very tall and you can still highten the suspension
    "Speed and power solve many things"

From what I see it's a SWB Rustler or some kind of Maxx like truck. But the electronics combo seems.....interesting.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    What are the benefits of a center diff for a basher ?

RC Qualifier
    Honestly I wish they made it another inch longer so we can finally have a body that monster slashes don’t rub tires on.

If you'd like to discuss non-Traxxas models and their pricing, there are many places to do so. This is not one of them. -ksb51rl
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į

Quote Originally Posted by StijnH View Post
    What are the benefits of a center diff for a basher ?
    Easier to drive fast (less wheelies unless really wanted). Still helps like a slipper by dumping energy to the wheels with the least traction on landings.

When I ran my stampede on 2S, the center diff tamed it too much. When I switched to 3S, it was almost a necessity as it would wheelie constantly.

RC Competitor
    Easier to drive fast (less wheelies unless really wanted). Still helps like a slipper by dumping energy to the wheels with the least traction on landings.

When I ran my stampede on 2S, the center diff tamed it too much. When I switched to 3S, it was almost a necessity as it would wheelie constantly.
    Thatís good to know. I need a center diff.

I'm curious why Traxxas chose a metal spur. It's already been proven that the stock plastic spur in the Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, etc can handle all the way up to 6s using an 1/8th scale motor with ease. Meanwhile, a metal spur is a LOT louder, causes wear on the pinion, and eliminates a cheap point of failure if actual binding does occur somewhere in the drivetrain.

RC Champion
    I'm curious why Traxxas chose a metal spur. It's already been proven that the stock plastic spur in the Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, etc can handle all the way up to 6s using an 1/8th scale motor with ease. Meanwhile, a metal spur is a LOT louder, causes wear on the pinion, and eliminates a cheap point of failure if actual binding does occur somewhere in the drivetrain.
    I wonder if you could swap out that metal spur for a plastic spur? Probably I'm guessing. I never liked a metal spur.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I wonder if you could swap out that metal spur for a plastic spur? Probably I'm guessing. I never liked a metal spur.

The spur is part 3956x which curiously is I think the spur used on the recently released 6780 all metal center diff assembly, but the hoss will use a plastic diff housing.

I donít know if there is a plastic counter part for it, it doesnít look anything like the Spurs used on the slipper clutches, but I assume one can just swap in the slipper clutch assembly from the rustler 4x4 to use a plastic spur.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post

Could be just to add strength for the plastic diff cup. Not sure a metal gear would be cheaper to make than a metal cup...

I know when I used the older gen center diff (smaller one for the slash 4x4), it would heat up and warp the cup and leak and strip the spur even on 2S. When I went 3S, I stuck with the plastic spurs, but I got an alloy FLM cup. It's held up really well, even with the 1/8th 4074 2200kv pushing it on 3S.

RC Racer
    Traxxas should try a metal differential cup to strengthen and help gainst blowouts in the 1:10 scale
    "Speed and power solve many things"

RC Qualifier
    Could be just to add strength for the plastic diff cup. Not sure a metal gear would be cheaper to make than a metal cup...

I know when I used the older gen center diff (smaller one for the slash 4x4), it would heat up and warp the cup and leak and strip the spur even on 2S. When I went 3S, I stuck with the plastic spurs, but I got an alloy FLM cup. It's held up really well, even with the 1/8th 4074 2200kv pushing it on 3S.
    I think that new model use different type differential, something similar to Maxx with limited slipp while Slash4x4 use open diff? Correct me if Iím wrong

RC Competitor
    i think i would like to see a side by side (by side) with rusty 4x4 stampede 4x4 and the hoss. I am not super sure where this one fits in. will it be more resistant to flipping? kinda confused by this release actually.

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by patmanz28 View Post
    i think i would like to see a side by side (by side) with rusty 4x4 stampede 4x4 and the hoss. I am not super sure where this one fits in. will it be more resistant to flipping? kinda confused by this release actually.
    The changes seemed to be centered around accomodating the motor upgrade. But to be frank the stampede 4x4 is so light and agile the 3500kv motor does just fine.

The one angle I just thought about is perhaps TRAxxas is trying to consolidate their 3s and 4s battery offerings as to not have to keep making 3s and 4s LiPo in the short 139mm format. Last six months we saw

-the discontinuation of the 2888x 4s battery
    -quiet update of the rustler 4x4 chassis to use longer batteries
    -now this

If the hoss was designed to replace the stampede 4x4 then it would make sense with my battery theory since as it stands the stampede 4x4 is the last 1/10 4x4 in production that can’t use the longer 155mm length Lipos.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnuts View Post
    Meh, I was hoping they would come out with something for the street.
    The street scene is not easy at the traxxas size company scale. Right now the A-something company is coming out with model after model of street basher but it will be a race to the bottom once the copycats get busy, and they are leveraging their 6s chassis cars for chassis and modular parts. It will be a significant investment for traxxas to get into the 1/7 and up scale street cars to compete with a new platform, and then what, a year from now people get tired and move onto something else, guess who has to keep the lineup for a while and support parts?

I am relieved to see traxxas releasing a car base on existing platform because that means they are not going to let part support lapse for the large number of sl4sh based cars out there.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 08-13-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I am relieved to see traxxas releasing a car base on existing platform because that means they are not going to let part support lapse for the large number of sl4sh based cars out there.

You've been here for some time and may have noted, and during my tenure every new release gets praises from some and the same-old-rants from others. Pretty much a copy/paste of them all. XO-1 came out: "I wish they would have made an off-road vehicle." Aton came out: "Cool but why are they doing air stuff?" Anything that shared the looks of Slash 4x4 platform: "Same chassis, same axles, different body. Ugh."

Your perspective brings up a good point: long lasting parts support. I see it in multiple places where a brand discontinues a model and the support for it dwindles to the point that soon parts are no longer available for it. Then what? There are many T-Maxx or Stampede owners from a decade or so that can still get parts for their truck - or use compatible Traxxas upgrades. Granted: there are some cases where Traxxas has let a model die as well as the parts for it as well.
    Last edited by Double G; 08-13-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    You've been here for some time and may have noted, and during my tenure every new release gets praises from some and the same-old-rants from others. Pretty much a copy/paste of them all. XO-1 came out: "I wish they would have made an off-road vehicle." Aton came out: "Cool but why are they doing air stuff?" Anything that shared the looks of Slash 4x4 platform: "Same chassis, same axles, different body. Ugh."

Your perspective brings up a good point: long lasting parts support. I see it in multiple places where a brand discontinues a model and the support for it dwindles to the point that soon parts are no longer available for it. Then what? There are many T-Maxx or Stampede owners from a decade or so that can still get parts for their truck - or use compatible Traxxas upgrades. Granted: there are some cases where Traxxas has let a model die as well as the parts for it as well.
    Thank you.

I admit that I am very new to this forum and like to think myself as a hobbyist rather than a brandist. But it’s sobering to see The amount of panic even tekno people have upon learning the discontinuation of the et48.3, and tekno is known as one of the better ones out there for parts support.

The most recent reminder for us is just this week when HH bought proline, is that while there may be third party support for any one car for a while, things change and you can’t count on say proline or RPM to always stock TRAxxas compatible parts. When one of them get swallowed up by another big fish? Oof.

It’s nice to have people come here and say “hey, I have a ____ from 1995 and what can I do with it?”, most of the time traxxas still makes parts for it in some form or other. Can anyone say that about AE, or Losi, etc? I don’t know about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Your perspective brings up a good point: long lasting parts support.
    Kind of would have made more sense for them to release a fully optioned maxx roller or something instead of building on the previous platform. Or use the maxx platform to make a short course, or anything else really. Propagate the new vs making adjustments to a really old one.

Then again, we don't know the $ they still see from the old platform. If they are taking the time to reface it a bit, perhaps people are still shelling out a lot of dough on the stampede/slash in the form that it is while not buying into the maxx? I know if I didn't have a heavily modified stampede 4x4, I'd have gotten a maxx already... but I do, and it fills the same void the maxx would fill for me.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 08-13-2020 at 05:30 PM.

RC poster
    I don't get it....at that price point just get a Maxx....and looks like same suspension weaknesses as the Maxx. Noticed on the Traxxas website video they don't show hardly any landings...probalby because the truck bucks up so bad upon landing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast