Thread: Melted spur

RC Racer

Melted spur

Does this happen to anyone else? Teeth are fine but two spurs have done this today, running 35/55 on 3s, no binding, drivetrain is very free and loose. There's no overheating of the motor or esc, I'm running a 120a esc and motor, are these spurs just not up the job?

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

It could be the slipper clutch over heating. How tight is your slipper clutch?
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    It could be the slipper clutch over heating. How tight is your slipper clutch?
    The Tec doesn't have a slipper clutch sadly.

Interesting... never really paid attention on mine (probably because it's brushed).

Have you checked for any debris stuck near where the spur gear was (maybe on the gear cover)?
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    I have stripped a few more since which made me realise as this has never happened in the past it must be something wrong with the car.

I had a small backwards tap into a kerb and it popped the spur off the pin, that's when i realised how slack it all was. I think the steel shaft and pin are badly worn, they have done some serious miles at serious speeds so it's due renewal. My new shaft arrived this morning with an assortment of spur gears to keep me going.

I think this will cure it, an update will follow

RC poster
    I had worn teeth after a few high speed runs. Changed to metal issue gone. Slightly louder but worth it. Running hobbywing 3s. 55/35

RC Racer
    It turns out it was definately the shaft not the quality of the spur. The old pin and shaft just had too much play. It's all new now and running like a champ.

On a side note on 29/62gearing and lots of on off driving the castle sidewinder sv3 was overheating on, a quick fan install and again, perfect.

I really really love this car.