RC Enthusiast

Need to limit throttle...

I have been flying FPV quads for a few years and my 6 year old son always wants to participate. Unfortunately they are just too hard to fly and they are super dangerous (think flying blender with no guards). Anyway my son had this junky little toy RC car he LOVES but it is really terrible, not enough power to get up the driveway, steering is all-or-nothing, gets high centered in the grass etc.... Naturally after watching a few Kevin Talbot videos i decide to get "us" a Maxx (when the giant box showed up I told my wife it was for father/son bonding). Well, that certainly fixed the high center/grass issue, but i was really hoping the "training mode" would be good for my son. Unfortunately this thing is still a beast at 50% throttle.

TL/DR:

If i get the bluetooth module for my transmitter, can i scale down the throttle in training mode even further maybe to 10% so my son can drive it? I am starting to lose credibility with my wife...

Thanks guys.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEng View Post
    I have been flying FPV quads for a few years and my 6 year old son always wants to participate. Unfortunately they are just too hard to fly and they are super dangerous (think flying blender with no guards). Anyway my son had this junky little toy RC car he LOVES but it is really terrible, not enough power to get up the driveway, steering is all-or-nothing, gets high centered in the grass etc.... Naturally after watching a few Kevin Talbot videos i decide to get "us" a Maxx (when the giant box showed up I told my wife it was for father/son bonding). Well, that certainly fixed the high center/grass issue, but i was really hoping the "training mode" would be good for my son. Unfortunately this thing is still a beast at 50% throttle.

TL/DR:

If i get the bluetooth module for my transmitter, can i scale down the throttle in training mode even further maybe to 10% so my son can drive it? I am starting to lose credibility with my wife...

Thanks guys.
    Yes. The app allows training mode to be set very low. However, it also lowers the braking capability. Just FYI. I've set it in my Rustler 4x4 so my 2 year old could drive it. Have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

...If i get the bluetooth module for my transmitter, can i scale down the throttle in training mode even further maybe to 10% so my son can drive it? I am starting to lose credibility with my wife...
    With the bluetooth and app you can do what you want to do. You can turn the power down to any percentage. You can actually drive it and set it at the speed you want in real time.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    Yes. The app allows training mode to be set very low. However, it also lowers the braking capability. Just FYI. I've set it in my Rustler 4x4 so my 2 year old could drive it. Have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    In addition to a 6 year old, i have a 4 year old and a 2 year old, all boys and all obsessed with trucks. This will make it way more versatile for my family.

Thank you for your response!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    With the bluetooth and app you can do what you want to do. You can turn the power down to any percentage. You can actually drive it and set it at the speed you want in real time.
    Is there any concern with running it at a low speed? I noticed that the motor whines when starting and at very low speeds... not sure if that is normal or not... i have only put 1/2 a batter through it so far.

That noise is normal because of the slow speed.

RC Competitor
    Is there any concern with running it at a low speed? I noticed that the motor whines when starting and at very low speeds... not sure if that is normal or not... i have only put 1/2 a batter through it so far.
    That noise is not the motor, but the ESC circuit. It's normal at low speed for brushed motor controllers.
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

Quote Originally Posted by Smaug View Post
    That noise is not the motor, but the ESC circuit. It's normal at low speed for brushed motor controllers.
    Do you realize that the Maxx is a brushless motor/esc?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Do you realize that the Maxx is a brushless motor/esc?
    Got mixed up where I was, sorry.

Whining sound can also come from gear mesh being too tight. Brushless ESCs don't normally whine. (except the cooling fan)
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash