RC Competitor

Brushed To Brushless Conversion, No wheelies

Hi everyone. I recently converted my brushed rustler 4x4 to brushless. I swithed out the motor and ESC to the Traxxas Velineon system, swtiched the differential gears, put the aluminum slipper plates on but did not upgrade the entire slipper clutch assembly, I got the traxxas GTR shocks with the same springs that they use in their brushless upgrade video with 30 wt oil, and I put on a 13 tooth pinion gear. It is now a lot faster and super awesome but it can't do wheelies. I've tried tightening the slipper and stiffer springs in the rear, and run it in grass, dirt and on asphalt but it won't do wheelies. Any suggestions?

RC Racer
    Make sure the set screw on your pinion gear is tight. I swapped mine to a 9t pinion, but it would only wheelie sometimes. I found the loose screw and it's much better. Also maybe set the throttle endpoints. It could be you aren't getting full throttle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I checked to be sure and the set screw is very tight and I can't set the end points because I do not have a tqi transmitter. I didn't get the vxl transmitter and reciver. I have a trx-4 and I am playing with the idea of selling the stock brushed rustler 4x4 radio system and getting a tqi reciver so that I can just use the model memory and so that I can have the tsm and settings.

The throttle end points are done with the ESC not the receiver.

https://traxxas.com/support/Programm...d%20control,3.

Or Traxxas Youtube video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix-J85uRFjE
    Last edited by grizzly03; 08-10-2020 at 02:00 PM.

RC Competitor
    I tried that and can still only get wheelies by hitting a bump in the sidewalk at the angle and speed.

RC poster
    Are you in training mode?

RC Racer
    Another possibility could be that the slipper clutch could be loose, causing a lack of torque to the wheels?
    Traxxas video detailing slipper clutch maintenance on both 2wd and 4wd models:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RArTWRcmkvI

Good Luck, and keep us updated on how it's going --BillJ

RC Competitor
    The first thing I did was check to see if I was in training mode and I wasn't and I have also tightened the slipper way down. Could it be the 13 tooth pinion? I know that it lowers the torque so... For any of you, how much do the tires baloon when you throttle up with a 2 cell while holding it in the air? Mine don't ballon very much so I don't know but it might have to do with the motor?

RC Enthusiast
    I want to say it is a combination of the two cell and the 13 tooth. I have a 13 tooth in mine and have no issues pulling wheelies on a 3s. I never ran the car on the 11 tooth as a point of comparison. But 13 tooth and 2s i don't recall many wheelies.

RC Competitor
    Ok I'll try getting a 11 or 12 tooth pinoin and if that doesnt work I'll get a three cell. Thanks for your help everyone!

RC poster
    I run 13t on my brushed 4x4 converted to cc sw4 3800kv and on 2s it only does a small wheelie from a dead stop, however on 3s it Wheelies like mad.

RC Competitor
    I have a simmilar setup to redfisher. Mamba X, 3800kv, 13t ans 3s. Pulles fat wheelies even when cruising at half throttle
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX