Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    21

    Recommend replacement front shocks for Hoss

    I've got 2 bent shock shafts at the front end of the Hoss. I bent them back a couple of times, but it's probably time for some better shocks. I have not swapped out arms yet and will wait until they break before replacing with better ones.
    What is everyone using, aluminium or other? What brand and model? Not looking for the best of the best at high $$, but something better than stock that does not break the bank.


    Cheers
    Last edited by Berberman; 01-16-2021 at 05:26 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,003
    I'd go with Traxxas GTR shocks. Get the hard-anodized ones if you don't mind the black color, as it has a harder finish for smoother shock action. They also come with TiN coated shock shafts which are much stronger than stock.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    34
    I second the vote for then GTR shocks. I put the TiN coated ones on my Hoss and will agree they are much better than stock. I have launched mine a lot and the are holding up just fine. But I would also suggest replacing the shock towers also.
    Last edited by icumpd; 01-17-2021 at 07:45 AM.

  4. #4
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by icumpd View Post
    I second the vote for then GTR shocks. I put the TiN coated ones on my Hoss and will agree they are much better than stock. I have launched mine a lot and the are holding up just fine. But I would also suggest replacing the shock towers also.
    Curious if you also changed the arms for better ones as well..mine are holding up for now..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    34
    I just swapped mine out for the red HD Traxxas ones. I also added the aluminum rear stub axle carriers, and steering blocks, caster blocks and bulkheads, and bellcrank, then upgraded axles also. I don't beat the snot out of it but I don't drive like its Sunday either.

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I'd go with Traxxas GTR shocks. Get the hard-anodized ones if you don't mind the black color, as it has a harder finish for smoother shock action. They also come with TiN coated shock shafts which are much stronger than stock.
    Arenít all the gtr shocks hard anodized and have TiN coated shafts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Aren’t all the gtr shocks hard anodized and have TiN coated shafts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The black color one is the only hard anodized one. The other colors (blue, green, red, etc) have regular anodization.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,493
    I run the GTR's on my stampede 4x4, which is the same as the hoss regarding suspension. They hold up really well.

    I use the following on mine:
    Associated 70wt front rear
    VG Springs/GTR Shocks VDK drilled to 1/16"

    One thing I didn't like about the front GTR's is they were a bit short. I used some other rod ends on them that extended them 3-4mm. The chassis still bottoms out before the shocks do though.

    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The black color one is the only hard anodized one. The other colors (blue, green, red, etc) have regular anodization.
    Does the hard anodizing make that much a difference? I just got some blue slash GTRs cause blue is my color :P


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    RC Champion RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Does the hard anodizing make that much a difference? I just got some blue slash GTRs cause blue is my color :P


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure, but I don't think there will be a big difference in performance. I also have the blue anodized GTRs on my Slash 4x4.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    8
    Green GTRs on my Hoss. Love them (and no bent shafts so far).

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Does the hard anodizing make that much a difference? I just got some blue slash GTRs cause blue is my color :P


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hard anno inside the shock I believe is also teflon coated so it's smoother when the piston contacts the sides a bit. Also, the TiNi coating on the shock shafts makes the surface harder so they stand up better to wear.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier Rocketzx1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    561
    Thanks for the info. I plan on grabbing another set for my stampede 4x4, Iíll get them in black


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    21
    Well, i installed the GTR shocks (2 front only, rear are stock) today, but i broke a front arm today right after, so iím heading back to the LHS tomorrow for some front RPM arms


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •