RC Enthusiast

Recommend replacement front shocks for Hoss

I've got 2 bent shock shafts at the front end of the Hoss. I bent them back a couple of times, but it's probably time for some better shocks. I have not swapped out arms yet and will wait until they break before replacing with better ones.
    What is everyone using, aluminium or other? What brand and model? Not looking for the best of the best at high $$, but something better than stock that does not break the bank.

Cheers
    Last edited by Berberman; 01-16-2021 at 05:26 PM.

I'd go with Traxxas GTR shocks. Get the hard-anodized ones if you don't mind the black color, as it has a harder finish for smoother shock action. They also come with TiN coated shock shafts which are much stronger than stock.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    I second the vote for then GTR shocks. I put the TiN coated ones on my Hoss and will agree they are much better than stock. I have launched mine a lot and the are holding up just fine. But I would also suggest replacing the shock towers also.
    Last edited by icumpd; 01-17-2021 at 07:45 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by icumpd View Post
    I second the vote for then GTR shocks. I put the TiN coated ones on my Hoss and will agree they are much better than stock. I have launched mine a lot and the are holding up just fine. But I would also suggest replacing the shock towers also.
    Curious if you also changed the arms for better ones as well..mine are holding up for now..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I just swapped mine out for the red HD Traxxas ones. I also added the aluminum rear stub axle carriers, and steering blocks, caster blocks and bulkheads, and bellcrank, then upgraded axles also. I don't beat the snot out of it but I don't drive like its Sunday either.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    I'd go with Traxxas GTR shocks. Get the hard-anodized ones if you don't mind the black color, as it has a harder finish for smoother shock action. They also come with TiN coated shock shafts which are much stronger than stock.
    Arenít all the gtr shocks hard anodized and have TiN coated shafts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    Aren’t all the gtr shocks hard anodized and have TiN coated shafts?

The black color one is the only hard anodized one. The other colors (blue, green, red, etc) have regular anodization.

I run the GTR's on my stampede 4x4, which is the same as the hoss regarding suspension. They hold up really well.

I use the following on mine:
    Associated 70wt front rear
    VG Springs/GTR Shocks VDK drilled to 1/16"

One thing I didn't like about the front GTR's is they were a bit short. I used some other rod ends on them that extended them 3-4mm. The chassis still bottoms out before the shocks do though.

https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The black color one is the only hard anodized one. The other colors (blue, green, red, etc) have regular anodization.
    Does the hard anodizing make that much a difference? I just got some blue slash GTRs cause blue is my color :P

Does the hard anodizing make that much a difference? I just got some blue slash GTRs cause blue is my color :P

I'm not sure, but I don't think there will be a big difference in performance. I also have the blue anodized GTRs on my Slash 4x4.

RC poster
    Green GTRs on my Hoss. Love them (and no bent shafts so far).

The hard anno inside the shock I believe is also teflon coated so it's smoother when the piston contacts the sides a bit. Also, the TiNi coating on the shock shafts makes the surface harder so they stand up better to wear.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Thanks for the info. I plan on grabbing another set for my stampede 4x4, Iíll get them in black

RC Enthusiast
    Well, i installed the GTR shocks (2 front only, rear are stock) today, but i broke a front arm today right after, so iím heading back to the LHS tomorrow for some front RPM arms

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk