Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guess I知 back into the hobby

Saw this posted on FB Marketplace for what I thought was a decent deal. Talked them down $50 for a purchase price of $150. Definitely needs some TLC and a few parts. Will be able to get a better look at what all is needed when I pick it up tonight.

Says it runs but shuts off which I知 assuming is a carb or tuning issue. Anyways I知 pretty excited to be back into the hobby again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats... sounds like you got a great deal!

Welcome back!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Heck Yeah! Welcome back!

I was looking at one of those recently... could not pull the trigger on another nitro.

He痴 baaaack!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Thanks for the welcomes back everyone.

Got the truck a little bit ago and actually saved $20 as he showed up late. So $130 for everything didn稚 seem like a bad price.

Guy said ran but had some issues. I値l go through it this week. Cleaning and inspecting.

It has Integty parts so those will be the first to get replaced lol.

So I have tried looking around.

Does anyone know which model I have? Is it a true 3.3 model? Is this the right transmission? There was a black transmission in the box as well but the housing is cracked.

Reason I am asking is when I put the new spur gear on (54T that was on there and stripped) the clutch bell gears do not come in contact.

Do I need a 70T spur? If so is that on this transmission?

Last edited by mrtwohands; 08-13-2020 at 05:34 PM.

In the picture above the grey transmission is from a 3.3 T-maxx. The black transmission is from the classic, and it has a different spur gear/slipper clutch set up. The 70T spur gear was probably for the black transmission with slipper clutch pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    In the picture above the grey transmission is from a 3.3 T-maxx. The black transmission is from the classic, and it has a different spur gear/slipper clutch set up. The 70T spur gear was probably for the black transmission with slipper clutch pegs.
    Ok. Kind of what I was thinking.

Guess that means this truck originally had the black transmission. Can I use the slipper clutch and pegs on this grey transmission? I would assume I壇 need the whole slipper assembly?

If you did install the classic style slipper clutch, I don't know how well the clutch and spur gear would line up if at all. Parts between the two transmissions were different. It's going to be cheaper and less trouble just to replace the stripped spur gear. It's only $3 retail part #3956.

If you did install the classic style slipper clutch, I don't know how well the clutch and spur gear would line up if at all. Parts between the two transmissions were different. It's going to be cheaper and less trouble just to replace the stripped spur gear. It's only $3 retail part #3956.
    I agree. Think I will just put the black transmission in and replace the spur gear. Just need to replace the transmission housing.

The spur you linked is the one I have now and it won稚 line up. In order to make that happen I would need to elongate the motor mount holes in the chassis.

Going to the LHS today and getting a couple 70/72T spurs.

Well, I went through this truck a lot more yesterday. The more and more I dig into the truck the more I am slowly realizing it may not be worth it to build it up and get it running.

It would not be cost effective to get it running. May just run down to the LHS and get a brand new 3.3 and sell this as a roller.

That's too bad.

Yeah it is what it is. I did win a revo 3.3 off eBay today. Hopefully it痴 in like new condition like they said.

Just needs electronics, motor (have a brand new 3.3), servos. And I知 sure a few smaller things I値l need. Exhaust, clutch bell, air filter, etc...

Well. Went into the LHS to get some parts for the Revo 3.3 i got last week annnnnnnnd I left with a new Tmaxx

That's some funny looking revo parts!

You'll have fun with it. I enjoy my nitros more than the electrics.

I know right . Went to get a clutch bell and few smaller parts to finish it.

Well, they didn稚 have it but figured what the hay on the Tmaxx. Will give me two trucks to mess with. Plus for family and friends.

I知 pretty excited. Have always wanted one.

RC Racer
    Now you’re Cadillacing! Congrats. It’s a fun truck, you’ll like it. Different animal from the Revo.

RC Racer
    All tmaxx's are worth rebuilding. Post some close up pics of what you have and we can help you sort out what it needs to get going. I bought a complete basket case maxx and plan on rebuilding it to its former glory.

Finally got around to owning the box and I知 a little ticked off. How in world would I知 not come with an ezstart battery!?

Every nitro I had in the past it came with everything but nitro.

Quote Originally Posted by OS15CVPower View Post
    All tmaxx's are worth rebuilding. Post some close up pics of what you have and we can help you sort out what it needs to get going. I bought a complete basket case maxx and plan on rebuilding it to its former glory.
    I appreciate the help but I already sold the roller. Listed on FB and sold within a day.

I agree they池e all worth rebuilding but it was too much money and time in that one.

Guess I can take the glow plug igniter and pull start. Just don稚 want to take everything apart and put on the pull start.

Guess it痴 better than going to the hobby shop again

I'd give Traxxas a call or maybe your hobby shop. I just looked on the products page and it's suppose to have one. Along with a 12v car charger, that most won't use.

My Jato I purchased this year came with one.

I'd give Traxxas a call or maybe your hobby shop. I just looked on the products page and it's suppose to have one. Along with a 12v car charger, that most won't use.

My Jato I purchased this year came with one.
    That痴 good to know. Thank you! I値l give them a call

So I値l be the first to admit I知 an idiot. After your comment grizzly I went back out to check. Because every nitro I致e bought comes with one.

Of course this one did too and I thought it was odd it didn稚 come with it. I found it. Again I知 an idiot and no fault to traxxas

I did something similar. When I purchased my Jato I never took the controller out. I use my 4ch most times for all of them. Decided I was going to try out the Traxxas Link app. So I purchased a BT link. About a month later I found out that the Jato comes with one. Oops! LoL!

It happens grizzly. Probably more than I care to admit with myself

Did get almost a full quart of fuel through it today. Ran great. Only the slipper really needed to be adjusted.

Only thing I need to actually address is it wants to creep forward while just sitting there. Have to look into it. Can稚 remember if it痴 low or idle speed screw off the top of my head.

When I pick the truck off the ground should the wheels start spinning?

That's normal if the truck doesn't move on the ground. There is no resistance to keep them from turning when in the air. Similar to an automatic vehicle. In Drive a vehicle tries to move but doesn't without giving it throttle. If your truck moves when on the ground at idle then the idle needs to be reduced.

Post #26 Try lowering the idle screw. If your past Break-in, check the LSN with the pinch test.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtwohands View Post
    When I pick the truck off the ground should the wheels start spinning?

If your idle is too high and/or the LSN is lean, then yes it will and the engine will continue to rev up. The way I see it is that if the clutch keeps slipping against the bell at idle then it will wear prematurely and heat up the bell. With a good tune and low idle the clutch won't engage the bell causing the tires to spin.
    The Super Derecho

Thank you both. Think I have it worked out now.

The LSN was the issue. Bringing back memories of my first nitro 10 years ago

Well, took the maxx out today. Was working on my tuning skills and working it out. It was bogging on acceleration so I was trying to work that when I lost all steering. No crashes or anything lead up to it.

I値l go through the truck in a bit and make sure no wires came lose or something. Guess maybe the AA痴 could be getting weak but the throttle servo was working fine but I did notice the breaks weren稚 grabbing as hard as they were. But it only has about tanks ran through it.

So I just turned the transmitter and truck on. The servo was buzzing and then the wheels turned to the left and stayed there. Then they wouldn稚 move anymore.

Last edited by mrtwohands; 08-25-2020 at 07:20 PM.

RC Racer
    AAs instead of a receiver pack? Low battery would be my guess, especially since the brakes were fading. Takes a lot of juice to move those big tires and I you were on 4 AA at 4.8 V they won’t last long. If you have a 6V Rx pack hook it up and try it. If that’s not it then test the servo, but I’m betting on low battery.

Yeah I知 just using what came in the truck but I知 going to swap over to a receiver pack. Especially now that I have a way to charge the one in the Revo.

Didn稚 think AA痴 would lose power that quick. If that痴 the cause of the steering issue. The nitro rustler I had would last quite a bit longer the best I remember.

I値l check that later today

Last edited by mrtwohands; 08-26-2020 at 05:11 AM.

RC Racer
    Big difference between a Rustler and a T-maxx. Charge your Revo pack and plug it into your T-maxx and see what happens. That will give you your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtamu-redux View Post
    AAs instead of a receiver pack? Low battery would be my guess, especially since the brakes were fading. Takes a lot of juice to move those big tires and I you were on 4 AA at 4.8 V they won’t last long. If you have a 6V Rx pack hook it up and try it. If that’s not it then test the servo, but I’m betting on low battery.
    That was one of the first "mods" for my T-Maxx after I bought it. I didn't want to go through AA batteries all the time; figured I would come out ahead if I bought a receiver pack and charger so I went out and got some. Just keep the pack(s) charged and I don't have those worries.
    The Super Derecho

I agree I値l upgrade to the pack.

I did replace the batteries and still did not work. Throttle and break still work fine with both sets of batteries.

With that said I tried another servo I have for the Revo and it worked just fine. I知 guessing I have a bad servo.

RC Racer
    Well that stinks. Hopefully your LHS will swap out for you.

Just part of it. I am using one of the Amazon 25KG servos for the time being I had laying around. Contacted Traxxas and they池e sending me a new one. Can稚 complain about that

Tmaxx is already back in action.

First breakage today. I swear I didn稚 see the tree . Honestly surprised it痴 not worse. I値l bend the shock arm back into place.

Which one: stock or RPM arms? I致e ran RPM in the past on other models and thought they were a little too flexible

That's not bad for hitting a tree. If that's the first time I probably would stay stock a-arms. Those grey plastic bulkheads must be much better than the original T-maxx black plastic (2003). Anytime an a-arm took a hit the bulkheads would break. I ended up with aluminum bulkheads and RPM arms. But the weight killed the performance of the 2.5 engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast