RC Enthusiast

Got a little squeak in the motor

I was out ripping around in some dusty gravel and now there's a small squeak in the motor. I only here it when I go forward. I realize I probably just have to spray it out with electric motor cleaner and oil the bushings. My problem is, I don't have a hobby store anywhere near me and I was wondering if there are any brands of motor cleaner out there that I could just pick up at say Home Depot that won't hurt anything?

You can use motor cleaner to clean out a brushed motor, but another more environmentally friendly and perhaps easier way is to run it in purified or distilled water, until no more dust/grime comes out of it. It does wear out the brushes a bit faster though.

I made the mistake of picking a random WD-40 degreaser, and it did not evaporate after I sprayed inside the motor, so that motor died pretty fast.

Here is a video that I have found helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjSwWKyLMpU
    I'm pretty sure he is using a Lectra Clean Heavy Duty Electrical Parts Degreaser to clean the motor, and 3 in 1 oil to oil the bushings (I use high-speed bearing oil since it offers a bit more efficiency in the motor).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Also, you could try blowing it out with compressed air and see if the squeak goes away. Most of the times, it is caused by dust getting between the moving parts.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    EXCELLENT! Thanks.