RC Competitor

Motor/esc combo question

I need some help.
    I'm converting my Slash 4x4 vxl into a lowered street truck to just drive and have fun with.
    I am going to replace the OEM stuff with something better.
    What is the go to combo for speed, run cool ( will use a fan on both ) and i would like to be sensored.
    Any help with this would be great. I like HW and Castle so either will work.
    Thanks,

On the sensored front, the Castle MambaX / 2400kv combo is nice. I used that for a bit and had no issues. The motor is only good for 4s but the esc can handle up to 6s.

My current fav is the HW Max8 / 2200kv combo. It’s not sensored, so not as many tweaks / programming options available but both pieces handle up to 6s which is a blast with belted GRP 1/8 onroad wheels and tires.

I have not seen the benefits of sensored setups for bashing, whether that be street or off-road.

RC Competitor
    The most i'd run this is 3s to be honest, so with that in mind what other combos would do good?

In my opinion, sensored motors are best for low speed applications. Id stick with a sensorless one just to save money. If your truck is light, go with a higher kv. If it's somewhat heavy, like over 15 lbs, go with a lower one. 3500 or lower. Since youll be going fast, you may have issues with heat.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

The Mamba X esc and sensored 2400kv motor have been my go to system since it's release. You will be extremely happy with it
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    hhhmm i see....
    Well its my slash 4x4 that i am turning into a lowered street ride.
    I don't think it's very heavy, not like all my other RC's ( X-maxx, UDR, Tekno EB48 2.0, TRX4 )
    I want it to be powerful, but not burn the tires off kinda of power if you know what i mean.
    Just driving it in the street, parking lots stuff like that.
    Will be using my traxxas batteries, 3s is highest i would use.

RC Competitor
    Is it fast in the slash? do you run 3s or 4s?
    Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Arcor, I have had the same combo as El Sob in a Slash and just last year I put it in a Rusty 4x4 to go with Tekno axles all around and 17mm hex conversion. Standing backflips 15/54 with Trenchers. Its borderline uncontrollable on 4s but a lot of fun when you get the hang of it! I highly recommend. I run mostly on 3s and it rips while not getting too hot.

Ancor, I’ve experimented with a variety of motor / esc combos, and have come to the conclusion that the best solution for a motor that can handle 3s in a variety of situations (onroad or offfoad) while still staying cool are those in the 2200 to 2600kv range.

Anything over 3000kv is best suited to 2s.

From an ESC perspective, a MambaX or Max8 may seem like overkill (if you’re only going to run 3s) and yet, the savings gained from purchasing a Castle SW4 or Max10 (max 3s capable) is only about 25%. What you loose is flexibility and the ability to run higher gearing (more speed) or larger tires without worrying about overheating (always monitor temps).

Take it from someone who wasted a lot of money “upgrading” motors and ESC’s, best to invest in the right system today and give yourself room to grow. You’ll spend less $$ in the long run and have fewer issues.

Good luck.

Don't forget about the Sidewinder 8th / 2200kv combo. Compared to the Mamba X / 2400kv combo, the Sidewinder 8th / 2200kv combo has a more powerful ESC, a more powerful motor, AND it's $50 cheaper. The only real downsides are that only sensorless operation is supported, and the BEC voltage is not adjustable.

http://www.castlecreations.com/en/si...or-010-0139-01

RC Competitor
    Well i ended up getting this :
    Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1515 Sensored Motor
    (2200Kv)

I also ordered the different receiver box to mount up front so i will have the room for that combo.
    Think that is a good combo..

Quote Originally Posted by Arcor View Post
    It's a great combo. The only real downside is the price, but if you already bought it, then I guess price wasn't a problem. It's the same system I use in my Slash 4x4 Monster Truck.

(2200Kv)

I also ordered the different receiver box to mount up front so i will have the room for that combo.
    Perfect, great system!

You’re going to love it.

RC Competitor
    (2200Kv)

Where did you pick it up? Seems like this has been a permanent message on castle website for years now. "Availability: This item is out of stock and will ship when available."

RC Competitor
    Bought it from Amain, best place to get RC upgrades..

I also bought Tekno RC M6 Driveshaft & Hub Carrier Set front and rear with there 12mm Aluminum M6 Driveshaft Hex Adapter Set. Since this is going to be a street ride, with some power wanted to go with those drive shafts cause i knew they were a darn good set. I know most say go with the MIP's but 72 bucks per set is little overpriced IMO. I did get lucky and also bought these RC4WD Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 2.2/3.0 SC Beadlock Wheels 2 pair and bought Pro-Line Prime SC 2.2/3.0" Short Course Truck Slick Tires to go on those bead locks and man they look good....
    Once I get the LCG installed and so on i'll try to post some pics as i'm building.
    Last edited by Arcor; 08-13-2020 at 06:09 PM.

RC Racer
    If it could help, Get a center differential. I have the same axles and the front ones under steering have an effect the drives the driveline crazy with a slipper clutch, like the axles change speed rapidly when steering the axles the angle
    "Speed and power solve many things"

RC Competitor
    ok just bought one from amain...thanks for the tip.

RC Racer
    Well.... sorry but i didnt know you would get it that fast but ive heard the FLM aluminum center differential cup can handle speed runs better shouldve mentioned this earlier sorry
    Unless you didnt get the plastic one?

But anyways for the road a center differential will help out with your trucks cornering too if you want that

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-16-2020 at 01:36 AM.

RC Racer
    Also your trucks wheels and tires are the same ones i planned on getting for my truck. I would like to see how nice they look ha
    Like a sneak peek of what they look

RC Competitor
    Yeah i can post some pics, once i find a good place to host them lol.

RC Competitor
    If you download the taptalk app to your phone you can easily post pics without having to find a host.

RC Competitor
    I found that google photos is the best place to store/host pictures..
    Last edited by Arcor; 08-14-2020 at 10:29 AM.

RC Competitor
    I don't see just a Taptalk in app store, i see tapatalk is that it?

Tapatalk is what you want. When you post from your phone using it you can include photos as well. No need for a second host.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Ya sorry, Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Well the motor and esc came in and i forgot one little detail.....
    The new 2200 motor ( castle ) is a 5mm and i don't think the stock traxxas is same size.
    Since this is going to be a street truck, not drag, just running around, maybe some drifting what size pinion do i need to order?
    I'm going to use the stock spur gear so gotta keep that in mind as well. the gearing still confuses me sometimes.
    Thanks for any ideas..

The new 2200 motor ( castle ) is a 5mm and i don't think the stock traxxas is same size.
    I would recommend https://www.amazon.com/Robinson-Raci.../dp/B0019OCA7W

The 2200kv motor is a large motor, and going lower than 18t means you will have to trim some of the plastic along the center drive shaft in order to get the gears to mesh. You might even have to snip a tiny bit with the 18t, but not much. Start with that and if you don't have any temperature issues you can eventually gear up a tooth or two.

RC Competitor
    is that one a 32pitch? it doesn't say.

RC Competitor
    Yes. The (.8) means 32 pitch

Well actually, Mod 0.8 is actually 31.75p. And 32p is Mod 0.7938. I've used mixed 32p/mod 0.8 with no issues.
    Last edited by smeezy; 08-17-2020 at 04:38 PM.

RC Competitor
    Ok, i was able to get a 19T shipped much faster, going to be running a heatsink and fan anyways.
    Shouldn't have any heat issues, but if i do could i go to a different spur gear? if so what size and so on.
    Thanks again for the help.

Shouldn't have any heat issues, but if i do could i go to a different spur gear? if so what size and so on.
    Gearing up = Larger pinion and/or smaller spur
    Gearing down = Smaller pinion and/or larger spur

The stock 54t spur is already close to the largest spur that will fit. So you can't really use the spur gear to help you gear down. Some have claimed to be able to get a 56t spur to fit, but I don't see how, since the 54t is already such a tight fit. You are better off just keeping the 54t spur and simply changing your pinion in order to gear up or down. The only real use for changing the spur is for extreme speed-run gearing, where you can combine a large pinion with a smaller-than-normal 52t or 50t spur to give you even higher gearing. But unless your entire focus is on doing 30 second speed runs in a straight line, then going with a smaller spur is overkill and gearing that high will result in overheating quickly.

RC Competitor
    Ah ok, thank you for the teaching moment. My center diff came in i ordered for the truck has 3 spurs that came with it.
    So after reading what you wrote i will use the 54T and use the 19T i ordered and just go from there.
    I'm not doing speed runs, just going to be driving it around playing with it.
    Thanks again for the help though.

RC Racer
    Ah ok, thank you for the teaching moment. My center diff came in i ordered for the truck has 3 spurs that came with it.
    So after reading what you wrote i will use the 54T and use the 19T i ordered and just go from there.
    I'm not doing speed runs, just going to be driving it around playing with it.
    Thanks again for the help though.
    Did that center differential help with the front drive shafts?

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    I haven’t installed yet, been waiting on all the parts to come in.
    Hope to start working on it this weekend.