RC poster

New to rc cars, and got the E-Revo VXL 1/16 recently, and so some questions/ concerns

Hi there,

I am a new member here so like to say hello to you. After ten years of model flying I decided to get my first rc car since my childhood recently and my decision was to grab a mini E-Revo VXL brushless. Thank you little son, he got interested in rc cars so I had to react. :-)
    I bought it at a online hobby store as a set including a 3s Traxxas 1400 mAh Lipo. Wow, this car has much power!

When studying the model for upgrades and the right maintenance I also read about diff problems, especially when using a higher cell rate than 2S, 3S in my case.. Is that something that still persist on actual revisions of this model?

I am also wondering if I have to change the pinion with the alternate one that comes inside the package with the model. Even the models speed is enough for me in the moment.. Or is it safe to run the model with the already mounted one on 3 cells? My motor was also very hot after the first run so I ordered the passive heatsink. Maybe I am missing or misunderstood something..

Thank you guys and kindly regards!
    Nico
    Last edited by TR2N; 08-12-2020 at 05:03 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I don't run 3s but the heat sink and center diff is a must have to me. If you start shredding through spur gears and you aren't worried about changing the speed/torque then the stock gearing should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Also forgot to say I don't know if the stock center diff on the new model is a actual diff or just a gear pretending to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by TR2N View Post
    When studying the model for upgrades and the right maintenance I also read about diff problems, especially when using a higher cell rate than 2S, 3S in my case.. Is that something that still persist on actual revisions of this model?

I am also wondering if I have to change the pinion with the alternate one that comes inside the package with the model. Even the models speed is enough for me in the moment.. Or is it safe to run the model with the already mounted one on 3 cells? My motor was also very hot after the first run so I ordered the passive heatsink. Maybe I am missing or misunderstood something...
    The new bulkheads are a much better design. They have a screw that holds the bulkheads and differential tighter together. The old style bulkheads didn't have this screw, that's why there were many stories of stripped gears.

I would change the pinion gear to the included smaller one if the motor is getting hot. I tried the Traxxas heatsink also. It worked, but not as well as I was hoping for. I installed a different one with a fan and it works great. I run 3s, off-road, and different tires and it stays nice and cool now.
    Here is the info: forums.traxxas.com-Motor-Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Extremercing View Post
    Also forgot to say I don't know if the stock center diff on the new model is a actual diff or just a gear pretending to be one.
    The center differential is still an accessory.

RC poster
    Hm, okay. Thank you guys! I will try the 2S packs instead, i will order some. Maybe 3S is a little bit overkill, even for my skills and when it helps to leave the car intact..

RC poster
    BTW, is there an official statement / info from TREXXAS what to use or to set up when using different types and cells of batteries? There was nothing i found in the manual.

RC poster
    Donīt get me wrong, i am flying rc helicopters and planes for more than 10 years now and i know how to repair something, but i really donīt want to spend to much time on repairing things on a newly bought model.. Sure, there is maintenance to do, i know that. But when i drive i donīt want to think "oh hopefully my Diff stays intact" every second. So i will check out the 2S option when it is safer. Sadly the hobby shop where i bought it said nothing about that, but they all just want to make their money i guess.
    Last edited by TR2N; 08-13-2020 at 07:08 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    A center diff and the proper diff oil weight will fix blown up diffs. I did 100k up front 50k mid and 30k in the rear. People run all sorts of different weights, that's just what I have. Haven't had a diff blow up on me since I installed the upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by TR2N View Post
    BTW, is there an official statement / info from TREXXAS what to use or to set up when using different types and cells of batteries? There was nothing i found in the manual.
    Does this help? traxxas.com/support/Hot-Electronics and traxxas/Overheating-electrics-and-gearing

You can find more info under the support/troubleshooting tab under the vehicle model tabs.

RC poster
    if you want 100% peace of mind when it comes to the diffs, id recommend getting a center diff and put at least 100k fluid in it, and also get the hot racing bulkheads. you will still have to shim the diff in the aluminum bulkheads. ive ran 40+ packs on 3s with zero issues. when i had the stock vxl id run 60k front and rear with 100k in the center.

if you stick with just 2s, id still recommend a center diff. if you properly shim the diffs in the stock bulkheads you will probably be fine for a bit, but they will eventually loosen up and you will still end up stripping them at some point. could last 3 packs or 30.

RC poster
    Thank you. But sorry, I don't want to spend so much money to make the model running and last - as it should when it comes out of the box. So the aluminium bulkheads aren't an option for me. I will think about it, maybe I will sell it, maybe I will try the center one when my diff strips some day. Thought I bought a high quality product. :-(

For these little cars, 2S is fast enough. I’d rather play then wrench on these 1/16 scale cars. The larger scale rigs are easier to wrench on anyways.

Just run it and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Yeah, i will try to have fun on this thing, thank you - even my concerns arenīt gone..