RC Enthusiast

How accurate is pin system at setting gear mesh?

Just thought I'd check here to see if anyone can let me know if I should be setting own gear mesh or relying on the factory pin spacing . Reason I ask is the truck is fairly new and I haven't messed with any gears . I'm waiting for a 20 tooth pinion to gear it down . Anyway , truck sometimes makes noise of gears grinding and jerky starts , let off throttle and most times it works fine . I did remove cover over pinion and saw some Nicks on pinion gear .
    Should I set gear mesh the old way , or am I missing something.

Others have reported issues with the pin system in other vehicles. I prefer to set by sight and sound.
    The Super Derecho

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Don't use the pin system. Kind of confused as to why Traxxas released, and still has not addressed the flaw...facepalm

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    What is the flaw?

I'm thinking Traxxas set it up for their own gears, and that folks buy gears from other suppliers, it doesn't quite work right, and they get upset about it. No?
    -Jeremy
    TRX-4|BL Summit|St4mpede|Aton|Maxx|Slash

Ive never heard of the pin system.. It seems to me that your sticking a pin in between the gears to set the mesh?

I just put them together and tighten so the pinion just barely has room to move. I mean barely any at all.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    The way I learned how to set gear mesh is the paper method.

Step One – Loosen the Gear Mesh
    Most RC Car’s allow you to adjust the gear mesh by adjusting the location of the motor. Find the location where you may adjust the location of the motor by loosening the fasteners that lock the motor in position. Once the motor is loose, be certain it is free to move in the direction that would allow for gear mesh adjustment.

Step Two – Set the Gear Mesh
    Slide the 10mm x 50mm piece of paper in between the pinion gear and the meshed spur gear. Bring the two meshing gears together and apply a small amount of pressure to jam the piece of paper. Using paper works best when you have a larger set of gears. For example 32 Pitch or Metric Module 1. (Mod 1)

If you have gears that are smaller, using a piece of paper will provide too much of a gap. In this case, bring both the pinion and spur gear together until it feels like the gears bottom out on each other. Relax the pressure and bring the pinion gear/motor away by a very small amount. The aim here is to bring the pinion gear away by about 15-20% of the overlapping distance. This will leave you with around 80-85% of overlap between the gears.

Step Three – Tighten the Gear Mesh and Check
    The final step is to securely fasten the screws that allow you to adjust the gear mesh. Once everything is solid and locked in to place, quickly check the overlap of the gears. Optimal mesh is achieved when 80-85% of the gears are overlapped. There should be a small amount of space between the meshing gears where you can see light through. The 15-20% gap is important for proper gear mesh.

I learned usung this method, but don't need to use it anymore.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

RC Champion
    Where can I read about this "pin method"?
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    Slash 4x4 Ultimate 2400kv

Last edited by Double G; 09-17-2020 at 02:04 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by summitbasher240 View Post
    Where can I read about this "pin method"?

If you haven't had one apart yet watch this starting at 2:55.. gives some insight as to what to expect
    https://youtu.be/MzCvmYNXz-Y