RC poster

Cool Looking to buy a Traxxas Slash and need help

Hi guys, I need a opinion from someone besides me on my situation.

So I got a Latrax Teton and have been having a lot of fun with it for the past six months and decided to step up to a Slash. My budget is $300 for the car. Should I get a 2wd brushed or a 4wd brushed. I plan to upgrade it to the vxl-3s in the future.
    I know my freind had a 2wd and upgraded it to vxl and it destroyed his car and made it hard to handle on any surface, this makes me hesitant to go 2wd.
    Over time I have gotten pretty skilled at driving but im no pro. What car would you guys recommend? I am open minded and would consider other platforms besides the slash.

Thank you guys!!!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    It sounds like you want a car that is easier to drive when going bl. Go with the 4x.

To me the overpowered 2wd is much more fun. That's just me tho. Both trucks will need upgrades as you ramp up the power to 3s. Both will do ok stock on 2s The 4x4 will prob need a few more key upgrades compared to the 2wd on 3s.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Why the rush? Just keep saving and get the Slash 4x4 VXL...

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    He neeeeeeeds it lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chironkeller View Post
    Hi guys, I need a opinion from someone besides me on my situation.

So I got a Latrax Teton and have been having a lot of fun with it for the past six months and decided to step up to a Slash. My budget is $300 for the car. Should I get a 2wd brushed or a 4wd brushed. I plan to upgrade it to the vxl-3s in the future.
    I know my freind had a 2wd and upgraded it to vxl and it destroyed his car and made it hard to handle on any surface, this makes me hesitant to go 2wd.
    Over time I have gotten pretty skilled at driving but im no pro. What car would you guys recommend? I am open minded and would consider other platforms besides the slash.

Thank you guys!!!
    I went through three brushed motors before I upgraded to the VXL. I didn't know any better in the beginning. The California sand/clay destroyed the brushed motor I think. I would have saved more in the long-run if I would have just bought a VXL Slash from the start. Just my thoughts.

Sounds like you would like a 4x4, but 2wd is much more fun imo. It is much more nimble in tight spaces, and is able to make very tight turns around corners when you get the braking right. It is also very fun to drift around. But that's my opinion. I you drive on-road more often, 2wd is fine. Off-road, 4x4 would be more stable, but 2wd can keep up just as well if you have the skills.

If you can try saving up for a VXL, since it will save you money in the long run (skips the brushed system, but I think VXL cars also have some upgraded drivetrain parts). If you can't then brushed is pretty good too (24mph is more than enough to get you started). With the right maintenance, the Titan 12T can last a pretty long time. I've had the brushed motor for nearly two years now (the bushings are a bit out of wack, and the brush is getting worn), but it is still going (I drive it pretty often, at least 10 min run time per day, more during the weekends). I have ordered a Castle system (SW4, 3800kV), and it will be going in my Slash soon (hopefully nothing breaks).

Also, the stock tires are not the best (very little traction even on high-grip surfaces), so just having better tires can make the 2wd a lot easier to drive.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    To me the overpowered 2wd is much more fun.
    Oh ya, it’s not just you...

To the OP...

I would save and buy VXL if you can wait. Better value, less work, no brushed system leftovers...

4x4 is easier to drive, more maintenance. 2x4 is more fun, easier to work on imo.

Going VXL means you will need better tires. DTX Sixpack ST’s are good.

VXL is really the only way to go. You can always run 2s or Nimh packs to dial it back.
    I run 3S on training mode on my little track, keeps me out of trouble most of the time...
    Last edited by fortunespoonz; 08-13-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Theres nothing wrong with the vxl system. Its actually pretty much perfect for a 2s lipo system. With 3s the motor gets hot and overall needs fine tuning to make right. The vxl system didnt make it crazy. The dude driving the vxl system made it crazy haha.

I got a receiver and transmitter out of an xmaxx which gives you tsm. That made all the difference in the world in my 2wd.

But as for stability, 4x4 for sure. But once you get into 3s youll be breaking parts and needing to tune everything like suspension and gearing to make it perfect again.

Bottom line. If you buy a 4x4 and get the vxl brushless system with a 2s lipo you wont be disappointed. If you dont want to worry about all the fiddeling and fine tuning, save the extra and get the slash vxl. Itll be perfect when you get it in your hands. Minus whatever you want to do for suspension.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    Oh ya, itís not just you...

To the OP...

I would save and buy VXL if you can wait. Better value, less work, no brushed system leftovers...

4x4 is easier to drive, more maintenance. 2x4 is more fun, easier to work on imo.

Going VXL means you will need better tires. DTX Sixpack STís are good.

VXL is really the only way to go. You can always run 2s or Nimh packs to dial it back.
    I run 3S on training mode on my little track, keeps me out of trouble most of the time...
    There is more to it than just the fun of driving. The 2wd is a simpler machine. It takes less to make it more durable imo.

RC Racer
    Ok, I'd like to take a different look at this, as I come from a situation where money is very limited and i will take a guess that perhaps yours is too. I will assume that $300 is a hard limit for the time being. Everything the others said about drivability is true, 4wd is easier to drive, harder to maintain, 2wd is the opposite. Now that being said, if you take the $300 and buy a 2wd brand new, that will run you $190 for a base model, least expensive version. Leaving you $110 of your budget remaining. Since you said you would think about upgrading to brushless later down the road, that $110 could go into upgrade parts in preparation for that brushless system. Wheels and tires, drive shafts, maybe just some cosmetics like a different body.

Also, later on down the road when you do decide to go brushless, I still feel a Castle Sidewinder system is a better value per dollar spent than the vxl system. Typically with a little searching, you can find the Sidewinder combos for less money than the vxl. And if you are REALLY strapped for cash, you can sell the used titan/xl-5 combo and get about $30 back into your pocket, otherwise, just sit on it and keep it as a back up unit for a different vehicle later, or.... "just in case" the brushless has an issue down the road, you have something to drive with while you save to replace whatever broke.

Basically, what Im saying is, the 2wd model is much more budget friendly and there is nothing wrong with buying a brushed version now and upgrading later. $190 for a base 2wd plus $120 for a Castle system later.

All very good points from everyone. The budget will get you a decent 2wd and a basic 4wd. Compared to my son's 2wd Slash I don't find that 4wd is that much harder to maintain in either my nitro Revo or my Slash 4x4 - it's just an extra differential, center shaft and axle shafts. Dare I say the Slash 4x4 is easiest since the bulks come off easily, the diffs are quickly accessible and the "transmission" is simpler. The Revo requires five screws and two pins to get the transmission out but quite a bit to get the differentials. The 2wd Slash takes dismantling the whole rear of the truck to get to the transmission (I run a Hot Racing one).
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    Ok, I'd like to take a different look at this, as I come from a situation where money is very limited and i will take a guess that perhaps yours is too. I will assume that $300 is a hard limit for the time being. Everything the others said about drivability is true, 4wd is easier to drive, harder to maintain, 2wd is the opposite. Now that being said, if you take the $300 and buy a 2wd brand new, that will run you $190 for a base model, least expensive version. Leaving you $110 of your budget remaining. Since you said you would think about upgrading to brushless later down the road, that $110 could go into upgrade parts in preparation for that brushless system. Wheels and tires, drive shafts, maybe just some cosmetics like a different body.

Also, later on down the road when you do decide to go brushless, I still feel a Castle Sidewinder system is a better value per dollar spent than the vxl system. Typically with a little searching, you can find the Sidewinder combos for less money than the vxl. And if you are REALLY strapped for cash, you can sell the used titan/xl-5 combo and get about $30 back into your pocket, otherwise, just sit on it and keep it as a back up unit for a different vehicle later, or.... "just in case" the brushless has an issue down the road, you have something to drive with while you save to replace whatever broke.

Basically, what Im saying is, the 2wd model is much more budget friendly and there is nothing wrong with buying a brushed version now and upgrading later. $190 for a base 2wd plus $120 for a Castle system later.
    Eeryone is forgeting the cost of batteries. thats like another 100. including charger.

RC Champion
    Another vote for the 2wd. I think 2wd is way more fun than 4 x 4. But that's just my personal opinion. My thirteen-year-old son feels the complete opposite. He loves his 4 x 4. I have a 3900 KV brushless motor in my 2wd Slash. This truck is a rocket. But I learned early on about throttle and braking and how to use them. I'm not driving Full Throttle hoping I don't run into something. I never have front-end collisions into anything because I'm not driving like a lunatic. Just because you can drive Full Throttle at 40 mph doesn't mean you have to.

Someone else mentioned tighter turning around corners with a 2wd. I love this! I love coming up to a tight Corner letting off the throttle tapping the brake turning the wheel just enough to let the rear end slide around and then stab the throttle again. Much harder to do with a 4 x 4. I love to drive my truck on Dusty asphalt or concrete and be able to drift around corners easily with a 2wd. Definitely takes steering and throttle control, but it's so much fun.

Maintenance is much much less on a 2wd. In the first five years I had my Slash, I never took the transmission apart. I didn't have to. After 5 years, I took it apart just to check the grease in there. It was still good, but I added a little extra in there for good measure and put it all back together. I've only ever run my truck on 2s lipo and not 3s. My truck is geared 86 / 23 and it's more than fast enough on 2s. Slipper clutch setup is key on a 2wd and a 4 x 4. I've spent far less money on any of my 2wd vehicles than the 4x4s for repairs or maintenance.

Even my 2wd monster Slash is way more fun to drive than my Slash 4x4 Max-D monster truck.

Sorry for the long winded rant.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    Eeryone is forgeting the cost of batteries. thats like another 100. including charger.
    He stated he already has a LaTrax Teton... so he already has a battery and charger that came with that truck. No reason why he couldnt run a brushed 2wd on that battery pack, assuming that is his only battery pack. Naturally, he couldnt run brushless with it, but just to get his feet wet, no reason not to use what is already available. And worst case is you go ultra budget like I did... $50 for a Traxxas EZ Peak charger and $18 for a Zeee 5200mah 50c 2s hard case lipo. Easily still coming in well under his $300 budget if he skips any optional upgrades.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by devestator View Post
    He stated he already has a LaTrax Teton... so he already has a battery and charger that came with that truck. No reason why he couldnt run a brushed 2wd on that battery pack, assuming that is his only battery pack.
    The Teton battery is much smaller than the batteries used in these vehicles, and is not suitable for use in larger vehicles.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

I'd like to add, there are lower budget high quality, electronics available. Just watch multiple reviews vids on whatever you decide to pay for.

Here is an example of a high power low cost charger...

ToolkitRC M6
    https://m.banggood.com/ToolkitRC-M6-...r_warehouse=CN

And the power supply
    https://m.banggood.com/LantianRC-12V...r_warehouse=CN

Here is an example of a decent brushless system. Not quite the brute power of the castle system, but someone on a tight budget will enjoy the jump in power, and extended run times. You will be limited to 2s...

https://m.banggood.com/Surpass-Hobby...r_warehouse=CN

Batteries ...

Same thing, research reviews before you press the pay button.

30 years in this hobby has taught me to save a bunch of money by doing my homework.
    Last edited by rag6; 08-17-2020 at 04:05 AM.

Have you considered picking up a pre-owned (used) rig? Craigslist, offer up.... and the like, where you can double the value of your money by not buying new. Many of your wish upgrades may already be out there. Granted, if you are in a small town, this may not be practical, but worth looking into. Perhaps a roller (slider, no clue as to whay they call them that) where you piece meal it together with deals you find on the parts you want. Look at yard sales, estate sales. You'd be amazed at what you may find. Disclaimer now: Once you start looking for deals, you will buy them because they are good deals and you will use what you bought eventually. I certain buy tires and Slash 2wd trannys when the price is right, because they will get used eventually. Bringing it back, 4wd is way easier to drive, fun at the beginning, I also agree with big hp in a 2wd. As for other platforms, i.e. mfgs and models? Hard to beat a Slash, parts can be found most anywhere, staying with Traxxas also lets you mix and match stuff from different models.