RC Enthusiast

Rustler 4x4 VXL or Slash 4x4 VXL?

Hey guys, Iíve had a 2wd rustler VXL for years now thatís been running on 3s the whole time, using it in all conditions with only changing the tires and gearing, and itís a blast everywhere. I want to go all out and make it a speed run car though with a Maxx 4s motor and esc. Iím looking for something to replace the rustler, good at everything, but I think AWD would be nice, and I donít really want two rustler 2wds. I donít have any other electric cars, so I would like an electric 2wd and an electric 4wd. Drifting through dirt, and 60mph on the street with just small changes, and was wondering whether to get the rustler 4x4 VXL VS. the slash 4x4 VXL. I like that the rustler shares wheels and tires with my rustler as I donít think the slash tires will really be up to constant 3s abuse, but I like that you can get the slash with lots of aluminum parts already installed, as I will probably have to buy them anyway for 3s. Are these two cars pretty much the same? Kinda like a slash 2wd VS. rusty 2wd with the same suspension and drivetrain? Or are they very different, like an Summit VS. stampede?

Between just these two, I'd say go for the Sl4sh, as you have a LOT more options k different bodies, different bumpers, lighting options, etc). . . . This is NOT to say Traxxas doesn't make great vehicles...they do (I own 3, plus I bought my step-dad a 2WD Slash)...but, there is so much more than just Traxxas. I will continue to buy/own Traxxas products...but, I will also buy/own vehicles from other manufacturers.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-16-2020 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Non-Traxxas suggestions removed.
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Between just these two, I'd say go for the Sl4sh, as you have a LOT more options k different bodies, different bumpers, lighting options, etc). . . .
    I was thinking Traxxas because they are great bashers, and this would never be used on any kind of track,. . . I just like Traxxas because of how easy it is and how familiar I am, as well as exchangeable parts. I also don’t know much about aftermarket for any other companies. I just know so much about Traxxas and so little about everything else I’m not sure I want to open that whole other can of worms
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-16-2020 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Modified quote, removed non-Traxxas.

Perhaps look at the erevo 2,. Or the wide maxx,. Or I guess they have the new car called the hoss. Looks to me like a redone stampede.

All around great basher is xmaxx but gotta have budget for that.

Also look what used in your area on the FB market place or the like. Once you got your car choice narrowed down. As can find some cars in good shape for half off new price.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I choose Sl4sh

RC Competitor
    since I own both if given the chance Iíd go with the Slash. There are a TON of more options for the Slash. The Rustler has that weird body mount design that is exclusive for Traxxas now. They do have a good amount of parts in common though. Both of them need lots of mods straight out of the box.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoviman View Post
    since I own both if given the chance Iíd go with the Slash. There are a TON of more options for the Slash. The Rustler has that weird body mount design that is exclusive for Traxxas now. They do have a good amount of parts in common though. Both of them need lots of mods straight out of the box.
    Agree to disagree? Ive been SENDING my Rustler VXL over some crazy jumps, for over 2 weeks and have yet to do anything except SMOKE a spur gear, but that happened on my workbench. A VERY impressive box-stock RC truck. Durability-wise, 2s AND 3s-wise (especially 3s), the list goes on

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Honestly, they both are awesome, and they both have great aftermarket options and parts availability. I'd go with the Slash, but it really is more opinion based.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Traxxas Marshal
    I have had to modify and delete several posts in this thread. Please remember that these are the Traxxas forums; as such, discussion of non-Traxxas vehicles is not permitted here.

Thanks for your understanding,

-cooleo
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle