RC poster

TwiztidDevil's TMaxx Build

Bone stock 2.5 Tmaxx....my first nitro vehicle also my first basher. It was love at first sight. Got it home took it out of the box and for 2 days couldn't get it to start. Finally got mad and pulled the exhaust off to clean and discovered the rubber boot between pipe and resonator was sealed. Cut it open and it was off to the races. Being new to nitro I never got the tune down properly and it kept overheating. Within a week I busted the suspension all to heck and started reading into upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The crash that started the monster lol!! Hit an empty tire at about 3/4 throttle.......

The upgrades.....
    [ ] 30% Powermaster Nitro Race Fuel
    [ ] OS .21 TM ABC Motor
    [ ] OS--2070 Monster Truck Exhaust
    [ ] Robinson Racing Steel Spur Gear 72T
    [ ] 3 Plate Clutch System
    [ ] Slipper Clutch Eliminator
    [ ] Savox 500 oz Waterproof Steering Servo
    [ ] Traxxas 1600 Mah Receiver Pack
    [ ] Stainless Steel Screw Kit
    [ ] Titanium Front & Rear Skid Plates
    [ ] Lunsford Titanium Shock Springs
    [ ] Lunsford Titanium Hinge Pins
    [ ] Titanium High Load Motor Screws
    [ ] Aluminum Lightweight Flywheel
    [ ] Aluminum Lower Brace
    [ ] Aluminum Lower Skid Plate
    [ ] Aluminum Motor Mount
    [ ] Aluminum Throttle/Brake Servo Mounts
    [ ] Aluminum Steering Servo Mounts
    [ ] Aluminum Big Bore Shocks
    [ ] Aluminum High Flow Air Cleaner
    [ ] Aluminum Steering Bellcranks
    [ ] Aluminum Servo Saver
    [ ] Aluminum Fuel Filter
    [ ] Aluminum Fuel Cooler
    [ ] Aluminum Wheelie Bar Wheels
    [ ] Traxxas Wheelie Bar
    [ ] Traxxas Body Clip Retainers
    [ ] RPM Bulkheads Front & Rear
    [ ] RPM Suspension Arms Front & Rear
    [ ] RPM Axle Carriers Front & Rear
    [ ] RPM Shock Towers Front & Rear
    [ ] RPM Crossbraces Front & Rear
    [ ] RPM Rod Ends

This is a complete list of goodies

The new and improved Tmaxx. Love it even more now. Though the os .21 tm runs hot could be break in but could be tune also like I said this is my first nitro.

Last edited by Double G; 08-15-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Looks good. What do you mean by “hot”? That engine should be really happy 240-250 F range. The Traxxas manual has some good tuning tips. Can also look at the last page of Aqualungs’ build thread for a couple of pointers I gave him. If the acceleration is real snappy off the line make sure the bottom end isn’t too lean. Probably the most common mistake, even for people that have been tuning for a while.

I know my OS21tm ran hot during break-in. I settled down after about 1/2 gallon. Also it could be your pipe. I have a Trinity exhaust that has the optional bigger outlet and it made the engine run leaner/hotter with the stinger plug out. Put the stinger plug back in and the engine ran better. Tower hobbies lists that pipe for the Max .30VG size engine.

RC poster
    Sorry guys for the long delay been working 60 hours a week and haven't had much time to play. I finished the break in on my new engine it runs cooler and has A LOT more power than the original.

I put a hardened steel spur and locked the slipper as tight as I could....bad idea I've ate through 3 clutch bells in less than 2 tanks.... on my crawlers they performed better without the slipper. Apparently not my Tmaxx. I've ordered the double disc slipper with hardened steel spur kit from Robinson Racing along with the hardened clutch bell to go with it.

How's everyone transferring power without burning up clutches?

Also can anyone point me towards steel cvd axles and driveshafts for my tmaxx?
    The stock axles and driveshafts are showing signs of twisting.

Lastly included are some new pics with all the upgrades new tires and wheels and my new body.

RC Racer
    Truck looks good. Some of your drive train issues could be related to a too tight slipper. The slipper is there partly to reduce shock to the drive train. If you continue to have clutch issues check out the Clutch setups on M2C Racing site. Ran a similar setup, only 4 shoe, for years in buggy and truggy and it wears really well.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cjtamu-redux View Post
    Truck looks good. Some of your drive train issues could be related to a too tight slipper. The slipper is there partly to reduce shock to the drive train. If you continue to have clutch issues check out the Clutch setups on M2C Racing site. Ran a similar setup, only 4 shoe, for years in buggy and truggy and it wears really well.
    Thanks for the info!! This is my first nitro vehicle and as I mentioned I removed the slipper clutches from crawlers. While it required me upgrading all the gears throughout the whole rig they both run really well. Therefore I have no experience with a slipper setup. For now until my Robinson Racing slipper kit gets here I went and bought new stock gear, pressure buttons, and the metal friction plates and installed them. As for adjustment I hope I got it right, I went as tight as I could then backed it off 1/4 turn. Going to go run it shortly will let you know what happens.

RC poster
    Update....after putting the stock slipper back in with a new plastic gear it made half a lap around the yard before the plastic gear was gone. I put the hardened steel gear on with the slipper clutch and ran it. Made it through 3 tanks and is now gone too!! Not sure why this keeps happening.

RC Racer
    Gear mesh? There should be a little play. Gears should also be lined up straight, not at an angle. Be sure all the motor mount and transmission mounting screws are tight. Check brake adjust Kent and make sure there is zero brake at neutral, or look for wheel or something in the drivetrain that’s not free. Sounds like grizzly03 has that engine maybe he can shed some light on his setup.

Most times it's the gear mesh. After you tighten the engine down, check that it is still good. If your not paying attention to it while tightening, the gear mesh can change. Try only loosening the motor mounts screws (4 screws) just enough to where you can just start to be able to slide the mount. Try using notebook paper and holding the motor over against the spur gear as you tighten the 4 motor mount screws underneath.

If your running a hardened spur gear you should get a hardened clutch bell. If not the hardened spur gear will create excess wear on the clutch bell.

RC Racer
    If you do the notebook paper trick you should be able to pull the paper out without it tearing. I run my nitros a little on the loose side so they don’t bind when the chassis flexes. Spur gears are never round. Trust me. I rotate it until I find the tightest spot and set it so I can just rock the spur without moving the clutch bell.

Here are my recommendations: get a better air filter. Those auto breather filters marketed as an RC upgrade don't do much to filter the air for our tight tolerance engines. Get a Traxxas dual-stage filter.

Get rid of the steel spur and hardened clutch bell. Many think that is an upgrade but when you have great mesh and properly tuned slipper they last years. Maybe I've been lucky but in all these years I've never stripped a spur or that I routinely check the engine mounts are not cracked and the mesh is properly adjusted.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks guys for the information, I really appreciate it. I will do as you recommend. I will let you know how it goes.

RC poster
    Hi guys, my new double disc slipper with hardened steel spur gear and the hardened steel clutch bell to match from Robinson Racing came in today. Hopefully the install goes well and using y'alls advice on how to mesh my gears this will eliminate the problem. I will send updates shortly.

RC Racer
    Be sure that slipper has some slip to it. Should slip a little for 1-2 feet when you nail the throttle. Better off to start a little loose and tighten until you get it set properly. Between that and the gear mesh hopefully it solves your drivetrain issues.

RC Racer
    +1 on the air filter, the one you have is junk for a nitro engine. My eyes may be deceiving me but in your last pic it looks like the teeth on the clutch bell are a different pitch than the spur gear.