RC Enthusiast

1/16 Slash Center Driveshaft vs Dirt & Stones

Hi all,

Fairly new to RCs here. Iíve owned this mini slash for 6/7 months now and have put a lot of work into it.

I drive mostly in paved and dirt parking lots as well as my yard. Nothing crazy. Basic bashing.

Yesterday after a fun dirt lot run I took the skid plates off the center drive to get a stone that made its way in there and discovered my stock center driveshaft has been lathed by a handful of stones over time. Some spots very thin next to the U-joints.

So hereís some things Iíd like to bounce of the forum.

1) is it worth it to run the car without the center drive skid so rocks and debris donít get trapped and cause more damage?

2) upgrade or OEM replacement? Iíve looked into both the hardened steel GPM and Traxxas Constant Velocity steel driveshafts.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1994286565

https://m.traxxas.com/products/parts/7250R

3) does anyone have any experience with either of these upgrades??? Pros and cons of each???

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, I would just replace with stock.

Or keep one on hand for when it goes.

Perhaps some shoe goo in the spots to seal up where the rocks are getting in.

I'm pretty sure you have to run with the skid plate as it helps hold the parts in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    For me, I would just replace with stock.

Or keep one on hand for when it goes.

Perhaps some shoe goo in the spots to seal up where the rocks are getting in.

I'm pretty sure you have to run with the skid plate as it helps hold the parts in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Youíre correct. I tried to run it without the center skid and accidentally pierced the gearhousing with one of the screws that holds it in place. Whoops. Had to learn that the hard way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I had problems with this too, my merv would tear up driveshafts when I made the upgrade i found the plastic cups warped and so much wear on the plastic that i could turn them and make them click into the other rib so, with all that said you should consider getting traxxas steel cvds. I run them and they are actually skinnier thank stock one so even if a rock did get in their it would hardly rub if it rub did the most it would do to the steel driveshaft is scar it. So I STRONGLY recommend traxxas steel cvds.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks Irontie - did you find installation of the Traxxas steel center drive shafts fairly straight forward? any issues?

also, have you had any issues with the rubber O-ring that stabilizes the drive bar in the cup?

I've seen this pop up a few times in other reviews.

https://youtu.be/p1NLTiNw6oI. - fast forward to 01:28