RC Competitor

What kind of servo is strongest with the adapter? #7749

My steering servo seems to be going out on my xmaxx. It does not return to center. Sometimes when i take it out it return but usually not. So i am looking for a servo that i could use with the traxxas adapter #7749. What is a strong good servo i could use that would actually turn the wheels on this monster. Thanks!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroRusty123 View Post
    My steering servo seems to be going out on my xmaxx. It does not return to center. Sometimes when i take it out it return but usually not. So i am looking for a servo that i could use with the traxxas adapter #7749. What is a strong good servo i could use that would actually turn the wheels on this monster. Thanks!
    Hi mate, I use a JX 46kg servo, but the best option what I see in this forum is the PROMODELER DS630BLHV.

RC Competitor
    I forgot to mention that i Want something uder $75. Thanks.

RC Champion
    3 Xmaxx’s here running for years with stock
    servo’s an 2087X metal servo gear
    The Stock servo saver gets worn
    - replace with stock or go aluminum
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    3 Xmaxx’s here running for years with stock
    servo’s an 2087X metal servo gear
    The Stock servo saver gets worn
    - replace with stock or go aluminum
    So you think the servo is not my problem?

RC Champion
    Does it work?
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    It does not return to center. Some days when i drive it it works great but usually it turn and does not return.

RC Champion
    A worn servo saver will have that effect
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Ok i have one in my parts bin. i will change it today.

A thing to keep in mind, and I have noticed this even with my ProModeler; it will return to center, but if TSM is on even just at 25%, the servo will gradually chock left. It has done this on all my other vehicles as well.

In other words, if I let the vehicle coast to a stop or I manually apply brakes, the servo had centered but I observed that the servo eventually chocks hard left if you continue to let the vehicle sit there. I propped all the wheels off the ground and tested this as well. Sure as the leaves fall in autumn, when TSM was on just even a little bit, the wheels gradually chock left after forward throttle was applied.

Don't get me wrong, the servo centered every time; however, with TSM on, the wheels seem to gradually chock left unless reverse is engaged and then TSM deactivates because TSM does not operate in reverse. When I applied reverse with the wheels off the ground, the front wheels snapped back to center from their gradual chocking left syndrome.

And Traxxas wonders why their stock servos are going out early; especially their all plastic gear servos. If your vehicle is sitting in grass and the wheels try to chock left because you didn't engage reverse; just remember your vehicle is constantly trying to turn left when it is sitting still after forward acceleration with TSM on.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-16-2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Added something.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

You will have a hard time finding a good servo under 75$

Either metal gears for the 2085. Or get 2085x. Or promodeler 630. Or 930( 200$ with horn and beam mod) then other servos from savox and the like. 2085x is 448oz in at 6v. So need to get a servo that is similar or higher tourqe.

Also have tsm off and see if it centers. And check servo saver and make sure dirt and stuff not in it.

Depending on surfaces they may not center. As long as not impacting driving all good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    https://youtu.be/mSKStVYbFKo
    Rc review of servos at or under 100. It's more crawler oriented but a good servo is a good servo

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    A thing to keep in mind, and I have noticed this even with my ProModeler; it will return to center, but if TSM is on even just at 25%, the servo will gradually chock left. It has done this on all my other vehicles as well.

In other words, if I let the vehicle coast to a stop or I manually apply brakes, the servo had centered but I observed that the servo eventually chocks hard left if you continue to let the vehicle sit there. I propped all the wheels off the ground and tested this as well. Sure as the leaves fall in autumn, when TSM was on just even a little bit, the wheels gradually chock left after forward throttle was applied.

Don't get me wrong, the servo centered every time; however, with TSM on, the wheels seem to gradually chock left unless reverse is engaged and then TSM deactivates because TSM does not operate in reverse. When I applied reverse with the wheels off the ground, the front wheels snapped back to center from their gradual chocking left syndrome.

And Traxxas wonders why their stock servos are going out early; especially their all plastic gear servos. If your vehicle is sitting in grass and the wheels try to chock left because you didn't engage reverse; just remember your vehicle is constantly trying to turn left when it is sitting still after forward acceleration with TSM on.

As a new owner of an X-Maxx, I just replaced a stock steering servo that stripped out. The one they sent me seemed to do this same behavior of turning left. The new steering servo didn't last one run and I think your explanation is the reason why it stripped out. I had to google TSM to figure out what it was and how to turn it off. I ran downstairs and looked at the controller. Sure enough, the Multi Function adjustment knob was at the 11:00 position. Ugh...from what it sounds like, the servo would have been fine if the knob was turned all the way off....counter clockwise.

Its almost like I want to super glue this knob to the off position....

RC Racer

That almost sounds like a failing gyro. I'd be inclined to replace the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpind View Post
    As a new owner of an X-Maxx, I just replaced a stock steering servo that stripped out. The one they sent me seemed to do this same behavior of turning left. The new steering servo didn't last one run and I think your explanation is the reason why it stripped out. I had to google TSM to figure out what it was and how to turn it off. I ran downstairs and looked at the controller. Sure enough, the Multi Function adjustment knob was at the 11:00 position. Ugh...from what it sounds like, the servo would have been fine if the knob was turned all the way off....counter clockwise.

Its almost like I want to super glue this knob to the off position....
    The Traxxas Link App and the Bluetooth Module make it easy to zero out the TSM and disable the knob. It can be done manually through the menu tree as well:

Another problem some found was that if you tried to adjust steering trim while TSM was on, it was killing servos early as well. There is actually a place in the Quick Start Guides that warn the steering trim should not be adjusted with TSM on.

As a safety measure, I always set steering trim and end-points first before I even set the multi-function knob as active in the Traxxas Link App. The important thing is to remember that the Multi-Function Knobs' default action is TSM from the factory, so it is overall undoubtedly best to zero out the knob (full counterclockwise) before disabling it either manually or through the App.

The thing I am uncertain about, is that if say you have the Multi-Function Knob at the high-noon position and TSM was assigned to the knob and you disable the knob before turning it counterclockwise all the way, will the transmitter remember the setting or zero it out?

I think it remembers the setting because I read somewhere that the reason the knob could be disabled was because if the Multi-Function knob was accidentally moved, it wouldn't adjust the setting until function was restored to the knob.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrant26 View Post
    That almost sounds like a failing gyro. I'd be inclined to replace the receiver.
    Been there and done that. For the first two months I couldn't use my X-Maxx because of a long drawn out process of elimination as to what was causing Traxxas servos to fail in my X-Maxx. It boiled down to the 2085 and 2085X servos were overheating when using a 6533 TSM receiver. Well, the 2085's would strip and the 2085X's would overheat.

Haven't had a single problem since switching to a ProModeler using the 6533 TSM receiver! I use TSM all day long now without a single worry.

Also, all my 6533 TSM receivers behave with the wheels slowly chocking left if it just sits there after forward travel. You can actually watch them creep to the left until you engage reverse and they snap back straight. I hardly doubt I have six bad receivers. Besides, it is the micro-code in the updates that causes their receivers to behave the way they do.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-17-2020 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Added a quote.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    No wonder I was so happy with both my 2085, which did a great job for 2 years, and my 2085x which is still doing great with it's new owner. I hated the truck with tsm on. Never used it.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    The Traxxas Link App and the Bluetooth Module make it easy to zero out the TSM and disable the knob. It can be done manually through the menu tree as well:

Seeing a diagram like this makes me just want to rip the whole radio out of the truck and replace it with something with a easy to read LCD display so I can see what I am doing...

If the knob is totally counter clockwise, it should be disabled right?

Anyway, let me see if I can get this right...

1. Turn on radio.

2. Hold the menu button until the green light goes solid. It will start to blink in a single pulse interval.

3. Press the Menu button six times. The red LED will flash in 6 pulse intervals for Knob Disabled.

4. Press Set.

5. Press and hold Menu to return to driving. The TSM adjustment knob should be completely disabled.

Thank you for posting this. I'm saving it!

Almost tempted to get the bluetooth module just to make it easier....

Seeing a diagram like this makes me just want to rip the whole radio out of the truck and replace it with something with a easy to read LCD display so I can see what I am doing...

If the knob is totally counter clockwise, it should be disabled right?
    Not disabled, just turned off at that point. Meaning if you don't select "Knob Disabled" in the menu tree after turning it fully counterclockwise and it is accidentally moved from its position (Knob is still live) then you will understand the difference between disabled versus off.

Anyway, let me see if I can get this right...

1. Turn on radio.

2. Hold the menu button until the green light goes solid. It will start to blink in a single pulse interval.

3. Press the Menu button six times. The red LED will flash in 6 pulse intervals for Knob Disabled.

4. Press Set.

5. Press and hold Menu to return to driving. The TSM adjustment knob should be completely disabled.

Thank you for posting this. I'm saving it!

Almost tempted to get the bluetooth module just to make it easier....
    I personally like the old school menu tree and actually have it memorized so I don't have to whip out my phone for every little minor adjustment.

The only thing I found useful about the Traxxas Link App is that you can go into the "Garage" > "Channel Setup" > "Throttle" and adjust the "Throttle" to 120%. You can do the same for the "Brake" also.

Nowhere in the manual "Menu Tree" is that option available and I can tell you I believe it is a hidden speed "unlock" that you get as a reward for buying the "Bluetooth Module".

The vehicles actually go a little faster with the throttle set to 120%.

Not to be confused with "Throttle Sensitivity" in the "Drive Effects" of the App.

RC Competitor
    I just bought a Flysky Noble and its amazing radio, the Flysky GT5 is also a darn good radio and not a lot of money.
    It's night and day driving all my traxxas's with new receiver and radio compared to the stock. Don't get me wrong, i think traxxas's radio's are best of the RTR radio's. But changing to a radio with lot of options and a screen is a must in my book.
    But this is just my opinion of course..

Quote Originally Posted by Arcor View Post
    I just bought a Flysky Noble and its amazing radio, the Flysky GT5 is also a darn good radio and not a lot of money.
    It's night and day driving all my traxxas's with new receiver and radio compared to the stock. Don't get me wrong, i think traxxas's radio's are best of the RTR radio's. But changing to a radio with lot of options and a screen is a must in my book.
    But this is just my opinion of course..
    Is the model name the NB4? If that is the Noble you are referring to, that does indeed look like a nice piece of hardware!

Do they sell a Tx and Rx Combo packaged together?

EDIT:

I just saw that it is packaged together as a combo but unfortunately I cannot find any U.S. sellers of the equipment.

Great - not only are foreign countries in control of manufacturing all our accessories, but now they are cornering the market for selling as well.

This is really starting to get ridiculous trying to maintain this hobby when the only eBay sellers of equipment are from Japan, China or Hong Kong.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-18-2020 at 10:48 AM.

RC Champion
    I forgot to mention that i Want something uder $75. Thanks.
    In this case, going for the JX 46kg, is a very good servo and affordable.

RC poster
    My Promodeler 630 servo came in over the weekend and I spend the evening installing it.

I have it installed with the pro modeler aluminum servo horn, the stronger traxxas servo saver spring and connecting piece ( goes form aluminum horn to crank assembly.

I got it all together and with the wheels off the ground it definitely turns much faster. However when I have the truck sitting stationary on carpet, the servo will not turn the wheels very well. Its dark out now and and I could not test it very well outside and my batteries are on storage charge, but it seemed to handle very well when it was moving. I'm still on the stock tires wheels.

Also, does this arm need to be lowered on the aluminum servo horn? I can go down one more screw hole but it seems to be fine as is.

My Promodeler 630 servo came in over the weekend and I spend the evening installing it.

I have it installed with the pro modeler aluminum servo horn, the stronger traxxas servo saver spring and connecting piece ( goes form aluminum horn to crank assembly.

I got it all together and with the wheels off the ground it definitely turns much faster. However when I have the truck sitting stationary on carpet, the servo will not turn the wheels very well. Its dark out now and and I could not test it very well outside and my batteries are on storage charge, but it seemed to handle very well when it was moving. I'm still on the stock tires wheels.

Also, does this arm need to be lowered on the aluminum servo horn? I can go down one more screw hole but it seems to be fine as is.

As for what hole on the horn to use. Whatever one makes the tires straight when horn is straight. Can also adjust link as well. May get a little more tourqe with the lower hole.

You probably want to set you end points. Have them end before the physical end.

MAKE SURE TSM IS TOTALLY OFF FIRST

Running at 6v off Bec you get a little more tourqe than the 2085x. To get max 630 oz/in tourqe from servo gotta run a external 2s battery to get the 8.4v

Carpet will be hard to turn tires on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Thank you for your reply. I'll have to figure out how to set the end points on the controller, but the wheels seem to turn all the way in both without the servo trying to push further from the limited testing I was able to do tonight. Work is sending me on the road for a day or two so I may not be able to play with it for another day or two.

I picked up a set of Duratrax Hatchet wheels and tires. I have not mounted them on the truck yet. I want to get a full run with the stock wheels and tires to see how the servo handles. The hatchets seem to be a little bigger all around and I'm afraid of them being to much for the servo to handle.

Is it worth it to get the adjustable toe links at this point? Given everything I've spent trying to keep this thing running, whats another 40.00?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Thank you for your reply. I'll have to figure out how to set the end points on the controller, but the wheels seem to turn all the way in both without the servo trying to push further from the limited testing I was able to do tonight. Work is sending me on the road for a day or two so I may not be able to play with it for another day or two.

I picked up a set of Duratrax Hatchet wheels and tires. I have not mounted them on the truck yet. I want to get a full run with the stock wheels and tires to see how the servo handles. The hatchets seem to be a little bigger all around and I'm afraid of them being to much for the servo to handle.

Is it worth it to get the adjustable toe links at this point? Given everything I've spent trying to keep this thing running, whats another 40.00?
    I run the Traxxas aluminum toe links. The ball ends are replaceable. Get a BEC or as Promodeler recommends, a 2S lipo as suggested above. Move it down a hole so everything is more straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk