RC Enthusiast

And my truck is bricked

I turned on my truck to set steering limits. App forcede to do updates to transmitter and receiver. And....my truck is a brick. Did transmitter reset. Tried to recalibrate the esc. Esc wouldn't go into calibration mode. Chatted with Traxxas and now have to send in my esc, receiver, and motor. Not a happy camper at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlmf View Post
    I turned on my truck to set steering limits. App forcede to do updates to transmitter and receiver. And....my truck is a brick. Did transmitter reset. Tried to recalibrate the esc. Esc wouldn't go into calibration mode. Chatted with Traxxas and now have to send in my esc, receiver, and motor. Not a happy camper at all.
    If update failed. Just keep trying the process again it will eventually take

Also turn off wifi. And if on iPhone put on airplane mode. For whatever reason. This messes with the update process.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    I think the update went through. I'm on Android. But will try on 4g as opposed to WiFi.

In Android if I just turn off wifi. I have no issues. If wifi is on. It will take forever and then fail.

Can always try airplane mode as well. As I think once it shows update the file has already been downloaded. Just make sure to turn BT back on if on airplane.

RC Enthusiast
    Well. Somehow I got it working again. But...it will only work if I have the app on now. Kinda annoying....but at least it's working.

Well. Somehow I got it working again. But...it will only work if I have the app on now. Kinda annoying....but at least it's working.
    What doesn't work if app not turned on?

RC Enthusiast
    If the app isn't on, the esc flashes green. I get zero throttle, and zero steering. Nothing at all.

If the app isn't on, the esc flashes green. I get zero throttle, and zero steering. Nothing at all.
    Try this https://youtu.be/ix-J85uRFjE

RC Enthusiast
    I've tried that a few times...but THANK YOU FOR MSKING ME WATCH THAT AGAIN!!!!! No....seriously. Everytime I've tried doing it, I think I've made a fatal mistake!! What I've done is, I've plugged in batteries, turned on remote, turned on the esc, then tried to go into recalibrate mode. Everytime, it done nothing except turning off low voltage shutdown after holding the button for 10 seconds. I need to try it again and press and hold the button BEFORE turning on the esc. Maybe I'm a complete freaking idiot!!

Sometimes it's the little things. Esc flashing green means it needs throttle calibration.

RC Enthusiast
    I'll give it a shot. I'm sure you're right though!! This is why I joined and love this tiny little community of erevo bashers!!! Thanks again. I'll report back in a few hours, after I get the chance to try that.

RC Enthusiast
    Big thank you goes to acidic!!! My truck is back to normal and was only bricked in part due to me not being able to follow simple instructions!! Super relieved that I don't need to test it apart and send stuff in!! Thanks again acidic.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Sometimes it's the little things. Esc flashing green means it needs throttle calibration.

Mr acidic, why do you need to turn off wifi when updating the Traxxas escs? Seems wifi would be faster then 4g? As you might be able to tell, I do bot run any Traxxas escs, I'm just curious....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    Mr acidic, why do you need to turn off wifi when updating the Traxxas escs? Seems wifi would be faster then 4g? As you might be able to tell, I do bot run any Traxxas escs, I'm just curious....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I don't have a clear answer, just my educated guessing.

I couldn't get my truck to update when I got my bt link 2y ago ago. And it would stall out it would run for 2 to 3h before I would just shut it off and want to use my phone again. The link app forces you to update if there is a update. So i was stuck in this constant update loops. And since half done truck unusable.

In searching for a answer. I found someone saying to put phone in airplane mode. Before starting update.

And low and behold that worked.

I'm sure the update file is less than 1mb perhaps a little more... Don't know what kind of eeprom / flash memory it tx/Rx/ esc has but it's probably like 50kb for file size. Or even less So downloading over wifi or 4g /3g really doesn't matter. I tried to find the files it may use but I couldn't figure out what folder it went to with just a quick searching.

The issue is probably something with the phone wifi module messing with the tx BT link signals or some software bug. BT and wifi run off 2.4ghz frequencies so I would almost bet the phones wifi signal is so much stronger than tx BT that it creates some errors in updating. Or some kind is signal interference. When it does a update with wifi on or cell service on. During Validation of the new firmware update and if any errors it's freezes up. And trys again. And gets stuck in a update loop. But again could totally be software.

I have never gotten a update to work with wifi turned on with my Android phone.

I hear iPhone users have to be in airplane mode. But again may just be wifi off.

In either case by time you get to the update portion of the link app. The files it needs are downloaded. So out into airplane mode with BT on and things work...

Big thank you goes to acidic!!! My truck is back to normal and was only bricked in part due to me not being able to follow simple instructions!! Super relieved that I don't need to test it apart and send stuff in!! Thanks again acidic.
    I missed this earlier. Glad you got it working, and I was able to point you in the right direction. now you can go have some fun with it.

Remember your not playing hard enough if you don't break something.