RC Qualifier

Largest tires on a 4pede that is still a usable basher.

Bear with me for a moment while I make sure I am starting at the right spot.

I have a 4pede I want to put larger tires on. My most convenient driving area is a grass field so I want as much ground clearance as is REASONABLE. I don't want the largest possible. I am currently running the stock Talons. I believe they are considered a 2.8 wheel, but please correct me if not. I want to make it a monster truck that is still usable. I run 3S with a good motor and 120 amp esc so plenty of power.

Also I will want to offset them and possibly convert to 17mm hubs. if anyone has some tips on that that would be great.

Thanks

Don

RC Competitor
    JConcepts fling kings are super tall and narrow, fantastic for grass. Comes with different offset adapters which is awesome. (I stayed narrow) and its still stable. Added great ground clearance and theyíre durable for bashing. I didnít see a reason to go to 17mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjohn View Post
    JConcepts fling kings are super tall and narrow, fantastic for grass. Comes with different offset adapters which is awesome. (I stayed narrow) and its still stable. Added great ground clearance and they’re durable for bashing. I didn’t see a reason to go to 17mm.

Those look pretty cool. Quite a bit of contact area, should hold up ok on pavement for a while too. Do they have them with 17mm? Looks like the tires are listed at nearly 5 3/4". Pretty tall, lots of leverage on those hex's.

The largest tires I've run so far are the trencher 2.8's. Going with larger tires will force you to run better axles all around as it will be too much strain on the stock axles. I've been running MIP X-duty's for 3 years. I run them with hot racings 12->17mm adapter/6mm extensions. The MIP hex's are keyed to the shaft, so you have to use an adapter that uses the 12mm hex to lock into.

2.8 trenchers don't look that big, especially with a slash chassis on it.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 08-18-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Those look pretty cool. Quite a bit of contact area, should hold up ok on pavement for a while too. Do they have them with 17mm? Looks like the tires are listed at nearly 5 3/4". Pretty tall, lots of leverage on those hex's.

The largest tires I've run so far are the trencher 2.8's. Going with larger tires will force you to run better axles all around as it will be too much strain on the stock axles. I've been running MIP X-duty's for 3 years. I run them with hot racings 12->17mm adapter/6mm extensions. The MIP hex's are keyed to the shaft, so you have to use an adapter that uses the 12mm hex to lock into.

You can get aluminum hubs in 17 for the Jc wheels.

Cool truck btw

You can get aluminum hubs in 17 for the Jc wheels.

Cool truck btw

Got a link? I didn't see a 17mm option on their site. Or is it some other company that makes them for those wheels?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got a link? I didn't see a 17mm option on their site. Or is it some other company that makes them for those wheels?
    Yeah. Theyíre only 12mm. Iíve considered them for mine. But the lack of wheel options held me back. Iíll never own another set of 12mm wheels on a basher.

RC Qualifier

I have a full set of the Proline Extended arms with the extended length Mips to go with them. Currently running them in the back with some RPM arms in the front with stock axles. I will be getting some beefier axles up front in time. I have several sets of spares to tide me over though. I also have aluminum carriers and knuckles so I think the truck can handle the heavier tires.

What is the actual height of the 2.8 trenchers?

I currently have about 75% of the parts to assemble second truck so I will be biasing one more for street and short grass and 1 for taller grass.

Then there is always the X when I wanna really bash.

RC Qualifier
    Hmmm, has anyone played with the new Sledgehammer tires? That may be just what I am looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Sledg...d-games&sr=1-1

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Yeah. Theyíre only 12mm. Iíve considered them for mine. But the lack of wheel options held me back. Iíll never own another set of 12mm wheels on a basher.

Yeah I was wrong. But the moment they come out with aluminum hex adapters for the JC wheels Iíll be acquiring them. Those tired on a 4pede are insane.

Iíve only stripped 1 hex on 3s. Which isnít a big deal because you can get the replaceable wheel spacer for the wheel for cheap. Not a bad point of weakness

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah I was wrong. But the moment they come out with aluminum hex adapters for the JC wheels Iíll be acquiring them. Those tired on a 4pede are insane.

Iíve only stripped 1 hex on 3s. Which isnít a big deal because you can get the replaceable wheel spacer for the wheel for cheap. Not a bad point of weakness

No hate at all. Love the look and Iím sure theyíre awesome off-road. Iíve just stripped out too many 12mm hexes. I run a 2600kv 3660 can on 4S primarily. Iíll wait patiently...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    No hate at all. Love the look and I’m sure they’re awesome off-road. I’ve just stripped out too many 12mm hexes. I run a 2600kv 3660 can on 4S primarily. I’ll wait patiently...

Yea, definately too much throttle there for any 12 mm hex.

I'm running geared down 3S so I should be fine on 12s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    What is the actual height of the 2.8 trenchers?
    Mine are a bit worn, but are 121-122mm tall.