RC poster

Traxxas lights on trx4 with third party esc

I have a trx4 defender with traxxas lights (headlights and light bar).
    I went and picked up a brushles system for my trx4 but it doesn't have the external red plug (needed for the light kit, Fan, BEC, other accessories). Can i solder it on the connector or how sould i try to solve this.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vincevl View Post
    I went and picked up a brushles system for my trx4 but it doesn't have the external red plug (needed for the light kit, Fan, BEC, other accessories). Can i solder it on the connector or how sould i try to solve this.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    You can plug it into receiver if you want.

RC Racer
    yes, solder it. any aftermarket electronics will basically require soldering.

RC Competitor
    solder the lights to the input wires of the esc it runs off direct battery voltage

Quote Originally Posted by vincevl View Post

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Welocome to the Traxxas forums!

What system did you put in your rig?

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    Be careful, as i hooked up my Traxxas trx4 light kit up per directions, worked great for ~2 months now....
    Fast forward.
    I installed a HW 1080 esc into my 'rex, did great, spent a few days playing outback on my crawler course, running back into garage, using program card to change settings, rinse & repeat...i decided two days ago to just "try" setting BEC voltage to 7.4V to see how my hexfly servo (4.7-6.4V rating)** and within seconds, i actually BURNT OUT MY dang traxxas headlights! (I had the jumper set to "brights"...boy, they didnt like it, so now im reduced to my LED lightbar (which is crazy-bright), and the front marker lights (Traxxas kit) (amber), and the tail lights still work Thank Buh-jeebus! Lol! Im ok with it for now, and def. Learned a lesson in over-volting, which i normally know better, smh.

Long story short, dont supply too much power to your smaller LED's, they dont like it! Im not sure, but i my brain tells me if you wire straight to batt voltage @ 3s (11.1+V), you may at the LEAST have long-term issues with the headlights? Anyone, feel free to correct me if im un-educated, as i heir on the side of caution now with all my RC electrical

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

RC Racer

Traxxas lights on trx4 with third party esc

Quote Originally Posted by Trx4newb View Post
    Long story short, dont supply too much power to your smaller LED's, they dont like it! Im not sure, but i my brain tells me if you wire straight to batt voltage @ 3s (11.1+V), you may at the LEAST have long-term issues with the headlights? Anyone, feel free to correct me if im un-educated, as i heir on the side of caution now with all my RC electrical

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Iíll second your advice. I had my blazer light kit and my rock lights hooked up with a jumper to the battery. Everything worked great until I decided to try out a 3s battery. Plugged it in ran for a few minutes, noticed a headlight burnt out. Didnít think much about it. Figured a I pulled a wire or something loose. Kept running then saw smoke coming out of a couple of wheel wells. Sure enough my rock lights were burning up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PFongemie; 08-18-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If you run to the receiver, it will be your safest bet. The esc's Bec will supply the rx with less voltage than running straight to the battery.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

@Trx4newb and @PFongemie: Where you using the power supply? The Traxxas power supply (part#8028) regulates the voltage down to 3v and is suppose to be used with their LED lights.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    @Trx4newb and @PFongemie: Where you using the power supply? The Traxxas power supply (part#8028) regulates the voltage down to 3v and is suppose to be used with their LED lights.
    I was not. I took out the power supply when I installed the Rc4wd wireless remote switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk